Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJon
Manure problems
    #4391444 - 07/11/05 03:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am having my share of problems with manure. I am using the mycofactory's dehydrated poo and have been mixing the wetted poo with straw almost in the consistency of saw dust. I used more straw than poo probably 60/40. I sterilize with the oven bag tek and the result was a moist fluffy substrate. I spawned them using a thick amount of substrate close to the rim of the container. Then I applied saran wrap and poked holes as necessary.
My biggest problem basically is that my spawn stops colonizing during incubation. But I also came by a fact that when manure is incubated, it generates a significant amount of heat. My assumption is that the incubator may have helped overheat the poo/straw/verm, but I do not exactly know if that usually halts colonization. Should I try not using an incubator when I spawn? My main concern for not trying this without consent from the shroomery gurus is the contam risk. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

Re: Manure problems [Re: Jon]
    #4391451 - 07/11/05 03:12 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How deep is your substrate, in what kind of container/setup?

And dont poke holes.

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Manure problems [Re: themills]
    #4391457 - 07/11/05 03:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ive read when using straw in your bulk sub u need to pack it down fairly good cos its very airy and will dry out quickly, perhaps the lack of moisture could be the reason it stops colinising?  :confused:

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineJon
Re: Manure problems [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4391513 - 07/11/05 04:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have used 2 different containers, a 9"x5" pyrex baking dish and a 14"x6". I used about 3 inches of substrate for each. I was thinking that this time I add small amounts of the straw/poo mix to a quart of rye. Rye/poo ratio 70/30, so the mycelium can barely notice the poo is there and colonize right through it. I doubt that the spawned casings were lacking moisture, the saran wrap was very sweaty. What usually causes mycelium to halt its growth other than the lack of air exchange?

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
    #4391519 - 07/11/05 04:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The big ones are air exchange, moisture, and nutrients. As long as you had those covered this could just have been a freak grow, they always happen.

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4391527 - 07/11/05 04:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You should definitely NOT use an incubator when you spawn to to thick amount of poo.. Mycelium dies @ 106 degrees, you wanna keep it fairly cool, because in a thick bulk run, the myc provides its own heat.. And you DO want holes in the Saran wrap.. Also, I doubt you have got 3" subs hot enough for thermal death, just take 'em out of the incubator, forget about them for a few days, (keep them in the dark) and when you next look, you should have a happy surprise..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineJon
Re: Manure problems [Re: BetaDelta]
    #4391528 - 07/11/05 04:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Can anyone tell me more about the casings generating heat? This freak grow happened twice so I guess its a strange world. I hear some chatter about poo overheating? How does this happen and why?

NVM Thanks everyone.

Edited by Jon (07/11/05 04:40 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4391541 - 07/11/05 05:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Mycofactory doesn't sell dehydrated manure. :eek:

So, you got something WRONG :rolleyes: :confused:

My experience with dehydrated cow manure pellets is:  :thumbdown:

Not knocking any particular vendor product, just my experience that it is TO HOT, LACKS FIBER & HAS A MUD LIKE CONSISTENCY. Even mixed with straw, it doesn't do well. Myc will not colonize it - worth a damn.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Manure problems [Re: agar]
    #4391545 - 07/11/05 05:08 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Mycofactory doesn't sell dehydrated manure. :eek:

So, you got something WRONG :rolleyes: :confused:

Yeah, I think you meant Myco Supply. I've thought about getting those pellets before, but even in the description, it mentions something about a pasty consistency you try to achieve. Didn't sound good to me :frown:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Manure problems [Re: FooMan]
    #4391814 - 07/11/05 08:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

HEAT IS BAD mmmmkay?

NO incubation for poo...keep it cool before warm, it will generate lots of heat. The more substrate in one tub (the bigger block of substrate) the more heat. THE MORE SPAWN (your case here) the more micbrobe activity, the more heat. The less air dissapation, the less heat dissapation, the more heat. The more packed down your substrate, the more heat. And as a side note, someone mentioned packing down substrate if it contains straw, which is incorrect, you only pack it if its ONLY straw...poo should not be packed in at all..the light fluffiness helps with heat dissapation and colonization.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules