Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
Mold in Fruit Chamber! What to do?
    #4391376 - 07/11/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I already took out my small rubbermaid of colonized substrate (pan cyans), that I'm also using for spawn, covered it with a lid,and put it in my bathroom. The mold is white and showed up on a half pint jar of straw based substrate, cased just in vermiculite, with no lid. I got rid of that jar. The mold was on the vermiculite, which was wet. Also in the fruit chamber is a brick growing Lion's Mane. Is the lion's mane no longer safe to eat, even if it doesn't get contaminated?
Most importantly, should I spray the spawn in the rubbermaid (which is covered with a thin layer of vermiculite) with a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water as a preemptive measure? And would I be smart to assume I need to toss the pearlite in the fruit chamber, sterilize, and start over?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Loc: Next to Kitty (Yahweh)
Re: Mold in Fruit Chamber! What to do? [Re: WhAcKeD]
    #4391401 - 07/11/05 01:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I can't help you on substrate contamination or casing layer contamination, but I was using a wooden "terrarium" with plastic covering the wood.  After a few weeks the moisture built up between the plastic and the wood and I had mold ALL OVER.  It was an unholy mess.  I took the casings out, tore out the plastic, sprayed all the mold/wood with 3% h202.  Then with vinegar.  Then I sprayed with a 25% bleach solution.  Wiped all of it down, dried out the wood from the soaking.  I think I went over it all again with peroxide then vinegar. 

Anway--no more mold issues.  And this was on porous, absorbent wood as a terrarium material.  You can beat it back.  But if a casing starts showing it, clearly, you know what to do.  :wink:

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
the pub mods are a cancer on our society as a whole.
pantsboy said:
Do kittens contain mescaline?  Because they should.

My GF & ME :heart:

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Earth!
Re: Mold in Fruit Chamber! What to do? [Re: Bobo]
    #4391417 - 07/11/05 02:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

contam problems ? Best bet is to toss it out and start over... either that or completely submerge everything in peroxide and water, but that will most likely end in failure... good luck

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mold in Fruit Chamber! What to do? [Re: WhAcKeD]
    #4391553 - 07/11/05 05:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Go with what Bobo said and try to clean the hell out of everything you are able to and wait and see what happens. It would be a shame to let all of your efforts go to waste by just tossing everything. If you did, you will probably always wonder what if...

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mold in Fruit Chamber! What to do? [Re: FooMan]
    #4391793 - 07/11/05 08:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

More air exchange is what you need to prevent mold in the fruiting chamber. Your lions mane will be safe to eat. In fact anything will be safe to eat once you've cooked it. If ever in doubt with fresh mushies, you can always boil them into tea to be sure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale