Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStevo21
Aimless drifter

Casing contam question
    #4389874 - 07/10/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hi everybody, so i've been doing pf jars for a couple years now no problem, but I recently switched to grains, and after a failed 1st attempt my jars (rye) are all looking good. I've never lost a pf casing before at my old place, and i was wondering as to why I can't get them to stay uncontaminated in my new one (closet setup, my clothes/casing supplies on rack above, low watt plant fluoro on 16 hrs/day, temp of closet is typically 84 degrees, but I use water ice bottles to lower temp). I have a small HEPA filter in the closet and I bleached it when I moved in, but I had to go out of town a couple days and my inexperienced roommates were in charge of fanning/controlling temps for me, I usually fan 3-5 times a day)It starts off as a small yellowish-brown patch, and rapidly turns the entire casing faint yellow/tan color within 72 hours. I'm especially wondering whether it is due to my inability to maintain proper humidity/temp levels (they fluctuated at first because I was unable to get temps low even though I was using several water bottles/bags of ice to drop the temp-could this be a source of contam?) My humidity was a little low (82-86%) and my temp a little high (75-80 degrees), and a fairly large pool of water below the casings in my terrarium from condensated water from the ice bottles. can anyone identify which of these factors (or even maybe something in the air?) is contributing to my contamination, or any helpful would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation