Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
The Food Network...
    #4388654 - 07/10/05 12:18 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is anyone else a total whore for Food Network programming?

I swear, theres a disturbing trend developing of me getting home from work at night, getting high, and then vegging out to Iron Chef or Molto Mario for hours at a time....

I have no hope of ever being able to cook the majority of this stuff, so the reason for watching is a mystery indeed....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: The Food Network... [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4389031 - 07/10/05 02:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well i dont find myself watching cooking networks but i do scan alot of online recipe sites. that way im able to absorb more recipes.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: The Food Network... [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4389033 - 07/10/05 02:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

+ cooking shows are boring.

www.turnoffyourtv.com

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4389527 - 07/10/05 10:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I only like a few shows on foodtv, namely Iron chef, good eats and molto. The rest of the shows just plainly suck in my opinion, why can't they have one serious show about haut cuisine? It's all about fast, frugal and entertainment. Discovery home has better shows like great chefs, also BBC America also has really good shows that are way more interesting. Foodtv sold out a long time ago.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: The Food Network... [Re: soochi]
    #4389597 - 07/10/05 11:36 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I love the Food Network, but its getting crappier. There's a bunch of crap shows like emeril, $40/day, the kitchen remodeling, and that reality show about being the food network star. I am a sucker for Barefoot Contessa, Easy Entertaining With Michael Chiarello, Molto Mario, and Good Eats.

However the best show of all time was A Cook's Tour with Anthony Bourdain. However they did stop showing it completely, and then moved it to 3 in the morning on wednesdays. Probably too much smoking, cursing, and drinking for the food network.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: The Food Network... [Re: daussaulit]
    #4389645 - 07/10/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Whoah. Good Eats. I forgot about that. Science with your cooking is awesome....Unwrapped too....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: The Food Network... [Re: daussaulit]
    #4393851 - 07/11/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

anthony's coming back two fold, he has his traveling show returning sometime end of this month, not sure which station, but I saw the previews for it recently, and they're making a series on Fox based on kitchen confidential, which I'm not looking forward to, personally it's a little too hollywood and self embracing on Bourdains part. A better idea would be a reality show following a line cook on a daily basis, showing every facet of work and job relationships including drug use, sex, etc. But I think it would be better on HBO to be really convincing.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #4394528 - 07/12/05 12:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just saw the preview also! I'm really excited. Its called No Reservations on the Travel Channel. Here's some more info about it:
http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/bourdain/bourdain.html

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4396272 - 07/12/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I find myself often lusting after Rachael Rey

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: The Food Network... [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4430128 - 07/20/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Rachel Ray is fuckin hot.

I'll watch any of the cooking shows...with the exception of food 911 or how to boil water...i HATE the guy who hosts that shit.

I'm surprised no one here likes Emerel...he knows his stuff and always has good recipes...mario is good too of course and Alton Brown and Rachel Rey and I'm not too crazy about the anorexic italian girl, but barefoot contessa has grown on me, and pretty much all the shows where they actually cook up specific dishes are fine by me, i hate the documentary shit like unwrapped or the best of or any of that shit.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: The Food Network... [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #4430145 - 07/20/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Giada's hot. A little old, but she's italian so that's okay.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: The Food Network... [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4432724 - 07/21/05 09:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Giada's ugly imo, I call her alien head.

I hate emeril (we're fellow alumni) I feel sorry for the people in the audience who have to pretend what he makes in front of them is good. One show I saw he baked a whole snapper and it wasn't even cooked all the way, he had problems taking it off the bone, so he told the audience that it was "too flaky." The fact is properly cooked whole fish should just come off with no problem, hell, you should just be able to rip the spinal cord out in one fail swoop. He's also very sloppy in his cooking, he's obviously more entertainment than anything else. People that truly know and appreciate food don't like him. I do dig his drug habit though :grin:

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #4435428 - 07/21/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

And how many restaurants do you own?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: The Food Network... [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #4438016 - 07/22/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's not the amount, it's the quality. I've been to two of Emeril's restaurants. Excellent wine list and service, food was o.k. most of it I could have made myself and a little better (shrimp was overcooked?!)

Go to a michelin star restaurant in France or one of Alain ducasse's or thomas kellers restaurants in NY, and you might understand my disdain for Emeril and the way we perceive food here in the States.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#4450354 - 07/25/05 11:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just caught the last iron chef america battle with bobby flay, man does that guy suck. He said "chicken is a difficult secret ingredient" wtf!!! anyway his dishes looked too similar, his opponent used much more technique (sous vide, smoking, pasta) the pasta dish alone was enough to convince me of his superiority, in the end they matched on flavor and bobby won by one point on plating wtf!!! I hate how IFA will invite the stupidest judges, they should all be in the food industry imo as most people aren't accustomed to eating a lot of the stuff they cook on the show (especially morimoto san) they would have nothing to compare the dish and give it decent objective critcism. and what's up with the secret ingredients lately? hamburger? chicken? you would think foodtv would have the resources to make available more exotic or at least less mundane and common ingredients. Wasn't that the best part of the original show?

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4451995 - 07/25/05 06:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

-People that truly know and appreciate food don't like him.

You seem to be a bit of a culinary elitist, but that's okay.

I personally like Emeril alot because he introduced extravagance in dishes long before anyone else. He's also the only one getting drunk or having people drunk and cook with him (i.e. see the Tony Danza episode). And out of sheer showmanship, he is unparalleled. Of course some of his dishes are sloppily made and sometimes he DOES fuck up. Well it's a TV show and mistakes are bound to happen, especially if youv'e made as many shows as he has. Even Rachel Ray blunders from occasion (i.e. admitting to the camera that she's hungover).

The reason why they put non-food professionals on the panel of judges on Iron Chef is because they have the pallet of "common folk", or as, people to whom viewers can relate to , who aren't accustomed to percieving dishes to a depth that food professionals are accustomed to.

I agree the hamburger battle was just retarded, and that Bobby Flay isn't the best culinary improvisionalist.

It was especially funny when he went up against Ming Tsai in the duck battle (Ming Tsai to duck, is like Sandy Koufax to pitching). Bobby Flay was trying to make a peking style duck (he specified it at the start of the battle) but he totally fucks up, undercooking the skin and resorting to oven it early. He then presents it as "'deep fried duck" with sweet and sour sauce.

Of course Ming Tsai's peking duck came out looking spectacular.

I agree the best part of the original shows were the exotic ingrediants (which cossed a fucking fortune), like fresh water eels, king crab, and horeshow crabs.

There just seems to be a lack of emphasis on the secret ingrediant. In the original show they would present backround information on the secret ingrediant, showing tips on how it should be cooked and such.

I just think Americans don't share the same passion for seafood and exotic ingrediants like the Japanese. ANother huge element which is TOTALLY lacking in the new show is that THE CHALLENGER DOESNT GET TO PICK his opponent.

That just fucking BLOWS. I mean jeez, that was half the fun, watching challengers eager to compare genres or go with a personal vendetta to challenge one of the iron chefs.

While Alton Brown is a GREAT announcer, I miss having more than one person doing the announcing (counting out the floor announcer).

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#4470073 - 07/29/05 04:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yes I am a culinary elitist, and there are a lot of us out there. do a google search on Ferran adria,Heston Blumenthal or Alain Ducasse; and you'll see real extravegance, way before Emeril's time. I can appreciate his entertainment factor and his success in the business, but on the show he constantly gives wrong info regarding cooking technique, not to mention is butchery of the english language, I realize he's meant to feed a different audience, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't speak english no good, the man has a doctorate for god's sake.

"if it's not haut it's not cool."

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4473773 - 07/30/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmock said:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

Re: The Food Network... [Re: motaman]
    #4482164 - 08/01/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
Quote:

LiquidSmock said:

Mmmm me too

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
Re: The Food Network... [Re: Llamanose]
    #4587594 - 08/27/05 02:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Are you serious! The Food Network rocks if you like to cook something besides Hamburger Helper or Macaroni and Cheese! They are informative and educating, and shows you how to entertain with more than beer and chips(not that they aren't good on occasion), add in some delicious homemade sandwiches or some finger foods and you are the hit of any party! They even have good ideas on mushroom cuisine! :handth:

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

Edited by Tippinthru (08/27/05 02:10 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract