Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Bulk Substitute
    #4389014 - 07/10/05 04:35 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Could I make a bulk substitute out of 50/50 Vermiculite sterilized in my oven, and pre pasteurized mushroom compost. It sounds fine to me, but anyone else see a problem with that?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Bulk Substitute [Re: Burmeseman]
    #4389082 - 07/10/05 05:19 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

u mean as a casing substitute? Then yes that would prolly be ok but im not sure if its better than the coir/peat.

dosent sound like a very good bulk substrate to me. Wont be much goodness in verm and 2nd hand decayed mushrooms, cant go past some good quaility crap.

Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk Substitute [Re: Burmeseman]
    #4389090 - 07/10/05 05:25 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

True mushroom compost is not a bulk substitute but more of the "King" of substrates. :thumbup:

Are you adding it to acquire better texture ? I add it to my poo. For texture and moisture. Never really handled or worked with much compost though. Yet,lol. :grin:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk Substitute [Re: HippieChick]
    #4389517 - 07/10/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

>True mushroom compost is not a bulk substitute but more of the "King" of substrates.

Depends on your definition of "true mushroom compost" There is mushroom compost, as in compost that works well for growing mushrooms...but usally thats just called compost..."mushroom compost" like you get from the store, is spent mushroom compost, mushrooms already grew on it and basically broke it down and composted it, making it great for gardens..pour for mushrooms to use again.

If you have compost, that is good for growing mushrooms (composed of lots of horse poo, straw and other goodies they like) then you could use that by itself, or add 20-50% verm (I'd probably go with more like 20%)...it is a premium substrate by itself. That is if you arent talking about stuff you got from home depot that says "mushroom compost" on it.

"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation