Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Horse poopie
    #4388669 - 07/10/05 02:23 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I let it sit out for quite awhile....;)

Anyways, mine had what looks like a lot of...rye and something else in it...Most describe theirs as having lots of straw...Might was more poopie :grin: lol....

Anyways, when it was ready...I decided (since i've had 0% contams w/ straw) to mix some in....It's probably a 50/50 ratio...Which was a bit of a mistake/accident...I most def. wanted more poo than straw, but it was raining so I kind of rushed it...

But it's koo :cool:

Just wanted to note that it looks beautiful when mixed with straw...It was pasturized for about 2 hours at 150F-170F and i'll be leaving it out over nite...Then spawning a nice Qt. jar to it...Can't wait.

And I was curious....The texture of poo is somewhat Compost-like...Typically...This mixture is a bit more fluffie, which means more pockets for mycelium to colonize.

So i'll have more Fungi than usual I guess you could say...So my Q is...If you have more mycelium compacted will it generate more heat?

Trying to think of a better way to word this...lol

:shrug:

oh well, hope it makes sense, tnkx for takin a stab at it :cool:

-Gnostic

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Horse poopie [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4389144 - 07/10/05 06:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yes.. The bigger the bulk sub, the higher the internal temps get.. You pretty much need to do large bulk rons in a cool basement, or in front of some AC..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Horse poopie [Re: Kalix]
    #4389529 - 07/10/05 12:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

And the more compacted, the less airspace and heat disapation and the more the heat..so a "thick" (density wise) substrate will heat up more then a nice fluffy pourous one..but if its not to big (like 10 pounds or more) heat doesnt seem to be a big problem at room temp.. I think the straw will make it fluffy as all hell though and I've never had a problems with straw generating very much heat, in tubs 3-4 times the size of poo tubs I lost to heat, and the straw was even being heating a bit..

Also I do believe that if you saw grains in your poopie, that means the horses ate alot of grains, I think usually they eat more grassy type stuff because its cheaper then grains, but a horse farmer (from here) once told me his horse poopy was some of the best poopy, because all his horses are grain fed..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Horse poopie [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4391276 - 07/11/05 02:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Makes sense...And thats good to know :cool:

I added straw b/c I've got a limited supply and wanted to make more sub....And straw seems to do nicely...So the poo's a nice kicker...lol

All seems to be going well...:thumbup:

I'll post back in a couple of days...see how its doing..

thankx every1

-Gnostic

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation