Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Loc: mushland
What would happen if....
    #4386840 - 07/09/05 03:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You took a really healthy and well colonized cake (pehaps first dunking it to help wash off any excess substrate...?), and took a sterile sharp metal skewer of some kind and shoved it all the way through it then put it in a specially designed grow chamber that suspends it above the air and receives light from the bottom as well as all other sides? Would the shrooms grow 360 degrees?

..Perhaps this experiment would work better in space....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen if.... [Re: mushboy]
    #4386844 - 07/09/05 03:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It would probably do what most cakes usually do...a whole lot of sitting there and doing nothing. Cakes don't need 360 degrees of light, what they really need is 360 degrees of high humidity; 96%+. So, suspending a cake won't achieve anything IMO.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Loc: mushland
Re: What would happen if.... [Re: Holydiver]
    #4386889 - 07/09/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was under the impression shrooms grow towards light.....wouldn't they grow out from all sides of the cake and increasing the yield?

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Re: What would happen if.... [Re: mushboy]
    #4386916 - 07/09/05 03:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

All other factors included, suspending it and giving 360 degrees of light would trigger pins on the entire surface, so you'd get more pins and a larger flush, as far as overall yield from a cake compared to one not suspended, I imagine you'd get the same when all flushes were added.

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen if.... [Re: beyondsisxth]
    #4386925 - 07/09/05 03:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So then, by your guys logic, why is it a casing is MORE optimal then cakes, and only has ONE of six sides exposed?

You will not increase yeild, you will dry out your cake slightly quicker, and the network isnt getting any more nutrients...just because the bottom isnt exposed to light, just like the center, doesnt mean the NETWORK and shrooms arent using that hidden substrate. Casings work (for one reason) better then cakes because all energy is concentrated onto one side, ending up in the SAME number of pins, but less confusion for the network and a better flush.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Re: What would happen if.... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4387030 - 07/09/05 04:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you're comparing cases to cakes casings are gonna have a higher yield no matter what, thats a no brainer, I'm assuming he was asking because of a difference in yield (for a flush) between a cake sitting on the bottom of a terrarium and a cake hanging with light everywhere struck his curiosity.

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

#4387056 - 07/09/05 04:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

by the logic mentioned by scat, if u then covered all surfaces of a cake except the top would it yield better/same/or worse?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen if.... [Re: mickeymicmic]
    #4387115 - 07/09/05 05:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Same or better, to a point..after 2 inches depth, you adding depth and losing surface area and reducing yeild. The optimal depth can vary, especially depending on substrate, but thats about where my experience puts it...so if you turned the cake on its side youd end up with same or better results, especially if you covered it, by surrounding it in peatmoss or casing mix, forming a little bed for it and allowing only the side of the cake up top to be exposed. All in all, were talking such a small thing (a cake) that a difference probably wouldnt even be noticed, no matter how you do it..but hanging it is unneeded, wont do any good, and could even possibly hurt things.

If you have any concerns about how many pins can fit onto the surface of a cake...have none..

(Not my cake)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

#4387165 - 07/09/05 05:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if u had wide jars, as in wider than they are tall, could u keep the cake in there through fruiting and just let it grow out the top? or would it be wasteful? ( if it doesnt sound completely retarded i might try it with one or two just to experiment )

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4387171 - 07/09/05 05:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i was wondering that the other day too scatman, i have the half pint wide mouth jars, would it be beneficial or not to leave the cakes right in the jars?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen if.... [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4387189 - 07/09/05 05:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I havnt experimented with cakes...it certinaly wouldnt hurt..not sure how much it would help.. This is probably a 1/2 pint worth of poo I threw into a quart jar and cased though:

Now see what happens when you dont cover the sides:

Still yeilds something, but the top one was almost double the bottom one.

I also know, that casing your quart jars ca be done well too...just fill up the top part with some casing mix when you open them, you can do a dozen jars like that and they'll produce some BIG mushrooms and quite a few flushes...at that point your losing surface area for depth, so yeild is reduced...but if you were to use very short jars, it would be different. Heres some rye in a jar to (its the size of a baby food jar or garlic jar:

Yield on that was just better then the second one posted in this post too, with nothing on the sides of the quart. It was wrapped with foil too, removed for picture.

--------------------

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

#4387193 - 07/09/05 05:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Amazing cake, do you remember who grew it? I wonder what kind of setup got it to pin like that.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4387206 - 07/09/05 05:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Razorfire do a search for some of his posts, just put cake for keyword, his name under username, and change date range to a year..he put up some nice growlogs and many pictures of many wonderful cakes. I believe it was just a PMP, he did everything normal, and that was his first grow or so, he just did it all perfect.

--------------------

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

#4387210 - 07/09/05 05:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

lefty, ill just try it with a couple and tell u the results, but my jars were just inoculated yesterday so it will be a while.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4387225 - 07/09/05 05:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well i overdid it and ive got like 20 cakes that will be ready in a few days, so i guess ill try it out and let everyone know what happens.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen if.... [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4387232 - 07/09/05 05:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cool :smile:

--------------------

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

#4387237 - 07/09/05 05:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

sweet deal, very curious to see the results

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #4387344 - 07/09/05 06:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
So then, by your guys logic, why is it a casing is MORE optimal then cakes, and only has ONE of six sides exposed?

True BUT a container-less casing will yield more than a casing in a container.  :stoned:

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation