Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
What the FUCKKKKKKK!
    #438492 - 10/27/01 11:54 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

CALLING ALL SHROOMERS... EMERGENCY
Listen buds, I'm at the end of my fucking rope! Found out today that about 12 out of 16 of foaf's birdseed jars are contamed. AGAIN!!! Last time all jars were lost too (12). I don't understand. This time I pressure cooked at 15psi for 1 hr birdseed (after light 1hr boil) whereas last time I boiled the jars (brf+ verm) for 1 hr. I don't think thats the problem. INNOCULANT, maybe, but these jars were innoculated from two different syringes purchased from a reputable dealer and some were innocculated from a healthy 1/2 pint mature cake. The only thing I did a little different is I used that ramsey seal on my birdseed shakeables, maybe I starved them of oxygen and that made it easy for the bacteria, I DON'T have a fucking clue. OR maybe they were too wet, but I boiled the birdseed for 1 hr and then let it sit in a strainer for a while before I put it in the jars. How wet is too wet.? For further info see my next most recent post. I'm just sick. Seven storebought syringes and only five (my first five, mind you) pint jars made it to harvest. Life sucks!
Anyway thanx in advance for any help,
Tom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Re: What the FUCKKKKKKK! [Re: mahookah]
    #438494 - 10/27/01 11:57 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Oh ya, by the way, the culprit here isn't mold I think, its just an invisible contam that smell like stinky feet, most say bacteria.

InvisibleHoeken

Loc: iowa
    #438497 - 10/27/01 12:02 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

its prolly anthrax

--------------------
NeuroAtomik - Evolve!
www.neuroatomik.com

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
    #438499 - 10/27/01 12:06 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Oh ya, and buy the way, another interesting fact is that I've had three 1/2 pints uninnocculated sitting on my stove for 2 weeks (pc'd 1 hr birdseed). Opened one today and smelled fresh as fucking can be, what the hell is up? That leaves my innoculation procedure which consists of flame sterilizing the needle in a vodka flame, followed immediately by covering with it's cover. Then between each innocculation point, I wipe it with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol.

Offlinegaastra
enthusiast

#438502 - 10/27/01 12:18 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

you have bad luck. compared to you my teks are filthy. i whip out the syringe in my room and just squirt the spores in, no flames, no recovering, no wiping, and ive never lost a jar (62 and counting) did you use a straight verm layer over the substarte?

I hope im not jinxing myself here...

Offlinesteve340
    #438551 - 10/27/01 01:44 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Just some thoughts.
I usually make sure and shower direclty before working with anything that needs to be sterile. Try not to breath in the direction of your jars while they are open. Its possible that your syringes are contaminated. Maybe try ordering some spores from a different supplier.
Dont give up. It took me 6 months of contams before I got it right and now I never get contams.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #438556 - 10/27/01 01:50 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Bacteria! Chances are the same syringes would've done fine on PF substrate. Welcome to the perils of whole grains.

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
    #438651 - 10/27/01 03:40 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Gaastra... onthe brf+verm jars I used about a 3/4 inch layer on top just like normal. I got green molded where the verm layer was. But that was in the pre pressure cooker days. This time I pc'd and just to be xtra careful I did the ramsey seal which is to make sort of a pocket of tinfoil over the mouth of the jar about 3/4 deep and fill it with verm, then put the lid on. That way the verm doesnt touch the substrate, but still protects it.

steve340... yes I usually do shroom stuff right after a shower and am constantly wiping, flaming, and spraying with h2o2. I think it might have been the spores too, but 6 out of seven syringes? As I said before, they were bought from one of the venders on this forum which I have yet to see one complaint about dirty syringes.

puscle... nope, when I got my pc I had some brf left over, and since I wanted to see how the seed would do on its own, I made acouple of pf jars to use up the brf. Same problem. Where does this bacteria shit come from and how do you kill it? Next time I might combine my seed with some brf and verm because it seemed like the mycellium had a hard time pushing its way down into the wet, compacted birdseed and maybe the verm might soak up some excess water that made it a little sticky in there. Also, I'm still wondering if maybe since I boiled my seed for 1 hr (I thought that was what steeping was) maybe they sucked up too much water. Does high water content raise the risk of bacteria?

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
    #438657 - 10/27/01 03:46 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, too much water is bad news.

Anonymous

#438666 - 10/27/01 03:53 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Are you using quart jars? If so, I would reccommend dropping in a chunk of mycelium, instead of squirting in spores, spores can take 4 or 5 days to get started, sometimes longer... plus you are adding all that extra water from the syringe.

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
    #438680 - 10/27/01 04:09 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

O.k. puscle, guess what my next question is. Actually two. 1.)Is boiling for 1 hr prior to pc'ing that much different (if so what the hell is steeping)? 2.) How do you make shure that your moisture content is right (i.e. what techniques, or ratios, and what should it look like.
Also I now have filter disks so that might help, it seems that my mycellium always start off nicely but run into problems between 1-2 weeks. Filter disks might give them a better start, right?

P.Dog... Pint jars, and if I had any good substrate left, that's what I'd be doing.

Thanks a MILLION everyone for the help. Puscle, you rule!

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
    #438688 - 10/27/01 04:21 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry, I've never messed with birdseed. Brown rice is my deal. I still think the bacteria came from your inoculate.

Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
Loc: Where the shrooms are gre...
    #438864 - 10/27/01 08:29 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Right off the bat I would say that P.cooking your jars for 1 hour is not enough. B/S can be a bitch if you don't take the right precautions from the start. However if you do everything right that I think it's the best substrate to work with.
I don't remember you writting anything down that said you rince the B/S after you boiled it. So did you? Also the way you wrote it...."I used that ramsey seal on my birdseed shakeables".....I didn't shake my jars at all. Some times you can shake them to much from what I hear.
Good Luck!

--------------------
I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.
Apart from me you can do nothing. john 15:5

Offlinegusb232

Loc: pm me
    #438902 - 10/27/01 10:00 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well i think you could try a few things maybe add some verm to the bird seed to help absorb exess water, Then after you PC for and hour, wait 12 to 24 hours and re-PC and make sur you leave jars in PC to cool and till you re ready to inncculate. That way you know for sure your contams are coming from you innocculation.
Try different innoc methods as see which works best for you.

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
    #438933 - 10/27/01 11:05 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

fiddler4u- As far as rinsing, one time I didn't (forgot the first time) and the second time I did. Also, I've heard that you can overcook the b/s if you pressure cook to long, carmelizing the sugar or something. How long do you recommend and how long is too long? Thanx.
gusb232- Once again I thought you could overcook, I've actually heard people say that they've pc'd birdseed for 20min@ 15psi with no problems. I think I might start a birdseed thread so we can solve this question once and for all. I don't know, but I'm out of innoculate for now unless I get a good mycellium syringe out of the one casing I have going right now, which I'm not sure was 100% clean to begin with.

Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
    #439151 - 10/28/01 08:10 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well as far as over cooking the bird seed....hmmmmm! Not to sure. I did'n think that was really possiable unless you cook it for like an entire day or something. I remember seeing a post on here or at the forest floor.....it was a chart of alltitude, and how the pressure cooker would be affected by the location or should I say elevation at where you live. I didn't get really into it. At any rate, I P.ccok my 1/2 pinters for 1 hour 30min., and of course I let them cool in the P. cooker for at least 10 hours, or overnight.
I wasn't aware the B/S has natrual sugars.
Well anyway.....I say you will be just fine, and in better shape if you P.cook for 1 hour and 30 min. A coulpe of my jars had a huge puddle of water in them, and everything still came out perfect :) As a matter of fact the jars that didn't have any verm. mixed in are the jars that had the puddle's. It all came out great anyway :)
Good Luck!

--------------------
I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.

Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
Re: What the FUCKKKKKKK! [Re: fiddler4u]
    #439171 - 10/28/01 09:06 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hey I found that chart i was telling you about. Just in case your interested in it. You can find it at the GROW/FIND section here.
Good Luck!

--------------------

Invisiblesporechase13
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: Pergatory
    #439216 - 10/28/01 10:51 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I have had bad luck with the Ramsey Seal,I got contams.If You take a reguler sealed jar aside one with the Ramsey Seal and leave in the cuboard for a few months you can see a big D' in the contams.I did this by accident.Had two jars left and,ran out of spore juice.putt in closet and,forgot U can see a big D'.Also look at the rubber seal on your lids U can see indents in the seal were contams can get threw.Hope I have helped.

--------------------
Why did I eat to many,now I have falling and I cant get up.For now I have seen both heaven and,hell.Come with me and,eat flesh of the gods.

Anonymous

#439238 - 10/28/01 11:26 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Have you tried fruiting these contaminated jars?
Bacterial contaminants grow extremely fast, one too two weeks before contamination is a long time. This delayed contamination, sounds more like a watercontent problem. What is the texture and appearance of the substrate, what color, before and after contamination?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds