Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom
 Arcade Champion: Space Runner

Okay... casing question... kinda freaking me out
    #4386378 - 07/09/05 11:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

(Note: tray on the right is just incubating, ignore that one, not even cased yet)

Alright, I have this casing sitting around that is ultra-rhizmorphic for some reason... like hardcore.  Anyway, I put about a 1/3" casing layer on it, covering everything up.  I left the sides uncovered so I could watch growth and examine how it breaks through the casing layer and such... just sorta wondering how it all works, not soooo interested in yield on this grow.  Anyway... I cannot see any myc growth through the surface of the casing, however I can see tiny white sprouts (for lack of a better term) starting to poke up here and there.  I cased this tray when it was only about 50% colonized (worm castings verm 50/50 spawned with 1 quart old (real old) colonized rye - 4 weeks).  The casing layer is 45 / 45 / 10 Peat/Verm/Limestone Flour with 1 tsp hydrated lime per 2 quarts of peat.  pH was at 7.

Anyway, is this thing starting to pin or something inside of the incubator or what (I mean, from what I've seen that's exactly what it looks like, but it baffles me because no fruiting triggers have been given... unless it just really wants to grow shroomies!)?  Do I need to take it out and induce fruiting conditions?  Any recomendations would be welcomed...

What bugs me, is that before I had put the casing layer on, and before it was even 100% colonized, there were big clusters of those very things you see in the picture, except a lot lot bigger.  That's what made me decide to case early in the first place, I was just like what the hell is going on here.  So I threw on the casing layer.  As you can see in the side picture (sorry for blurryness), each "head" of the cluster grew out to form a new smaller cluster on the top of the surface.  That's pretty neat if you ask me.. anyway.  If someone can explain what's going on that would be great, because I'm really fascinated by it :smile:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Okay... casing question... kinda freaking me out [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4386453 - 07/09/05 12:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

you have them in a clear terrarum?... just the ever day light can be enough to start fruiting process.. atleast thats the way i understand it.. im still kinda new to this myself.. but if its getting lil bumps or pimple looking things on it i would say its starting to fruit.. dont know if the casing layer was a good idea or not.. you dont need a casing layer to fruit, it just helps keep moisture in.. is that horse poo you spawned to??.. but if you do see mycilum starting to poke threw casing patch it and put it in the frige for 24 hrs then put in fruiting chamer.. but like i said im still new to.. but thats my 2 cents.. gl :smile:

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

OfflineSpencyspence28
Texan CubeFarmer
Loc: Tx.
Re: Okay... casing question... kinda freaking me out [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4386462 - 07/09/05 12:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dont let light touch the mycellium.It will turn it grey and kill it.

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#4386472 - 07/09/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. The clear tub is sitting inside of a non-clear TiT -- Yah, pretty ghetto I know. But I did it to keep the humidity up to the two trays, since there's no external humidity other than what the trays generate themselves (RH is 45% where I live).

I did some in-depth looking around, and I think that it might just be rhizos forming on the surface, which I don't know if that's good or not. I didn't know they did that in the first place, after adding a casing layer. Learn something every day eh. In that case, I doubt it -was- a good idea for me to case (since I thought the giant rhizos were primordia forming...). I guess rhizo can come in all shapes and sizes... sometimes they look like crystal trees, branching every which way... and I guess, sometimes they can look like lil spikes with the tinyest bulge on the top (hence how I made my assumption).

Oh well, we'll ride it out and see what happens. Any other input would be surely appriciated. Thanks all!

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Okay... casing question... kinda freaking me out [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4386529 - 07/09/05 12:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

TiT isnt getto man.. it works thats all that matters:) i use one for incubating my jars/casings.. unless your using a big tub.. the casings should produce enough humidity themselves.. atleast thats what ive been having happen on my last 2 sets of casings. 1st atempt was just a tub with plexy-glass lid i manualy fanned and 2nd attempt was with single tub ( i highly recomend the single tub to anyone, cheap, simple, and effective!!)

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#4386563 - 07/09/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yah, TiT isn't ghetto I know, just the fact I have a whole 75 quart tub sitting IN my TiT, and LCs incubating next to it, it's just funny to open it up :p That's the ghetto part hehe.

'Course it gets the job done, it's a TiT! :-D
Yeah single tub is good juju... And I need to master this strain I'm working with (unkown too, because I didn't label anything! whee!). It's got some crazy tall rhizo's like in agars pictures, I'm glad, but I dunno what to do! I just wanted it to be normal like it's friend to the right of it (the other tray). Hehe ah wells.

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Okay... casing question... kinda freaking me out [Re: Spencyspence28]
    #4386586 - 07/09/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Spencyspence28 said:
Dont let light touch the mycellium.It will turn it grey and kill it.

I certainly hope you were kidding.

I dont really get the incubator those, are the casings not covered? If you didnt put foil on top of the casing then you gave them a pinning trigger, fresh air exchange..and a second if that white was exposed to light at any points. The third, a temp drop, isnt really so important.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Okay... casing question... kinda freaking me out [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4386713 - 07/09/05 01:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Not to mention, it would be wise to wait until your sub is fully colonized to start casing..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation