Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineoutspaced
Stranger
Newb saying hi (and will you check my first shrooms please!?)
    #4386323 - 07/09/05 10:45 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everybody!  :grin:
First off, my name is out-spaced and I'm from London, England.

This is my second attempt at growing, the first time was a philosophers stone grow kit, it died a nasty death (lots of mould and a yellow liquid in the bottom of the container) from being too hot - it was in the airing cupboard but when I got round to buying a thermometer I realised it was over 80 F in there, and the kit was already looking pretty grim.

This time I got a regular cubensis grow kit (the shop said it was Columbian strain).  I was told to expect a flush in one to two weeks, however nothing at all happened for the first three to four weeks, then I noticed some mycelium, which I thought was probably the start of mould as nothing had happened so far. 

For a few days nothing more happened, then I kind of forgot to check on them for three days, when I did though, there were two quite large and two smallish shrooms, and a couple more patches of mycelium.  The next day (yesterday) I checked and the two larger ones were even longer and the caps were bigger, quite round and the veil looked like it would split in the next few days.  The others were still under-developed and the caps didn't look anywhere near formed. 

This morning when I checked the large caps had fully opened and flattened out, and they've grown even longer (almost doubled in length) overnight!  The smaller caps had now fully opened but were only about 1cm across.

So, to the questions... 

Why did I only get 4 shrooms? What might I be doing wrong? 
Is it because the container is not much bigger then the grow kit with only 6 inches from the kit to the lid of container?  I'm actually on my way to get a bigger container today, after the small success that I've just had.  I'm looking for one that allows approx. six inches around the edge of the kit and about 10 inches headroom - will that be sufficient?

Is it ok to eat them after the caps split, even if they've got spores on them?  Are the purple patches of spores ok to eat?  They look a bit, well, scary  :crazy:

Also, I think there is mycelium "fuzz" growing on the base of the stalks but it is also covering some of the new caps on the kit, so could somebody please confirm this for me, as I said - I am a complete newb, and I really don't want to poison any of my mates!

Here are my pics.

<edit> Sorry , I forgot to mention this page might take a while to load.</edit>

Thanks!
out-spaced

P.S. Thanks to everyone at shroomery for all the info so far  :smile: :thumbup:

Edited by outspaced (07/09/05 10:47 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Newb saying hi (and will you check my first shrooms please!?) [Re: outspaced]
    #4386340 - 07/09/05 11:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

For growing the kit, the temps around the lower 70s are probably best. Check out this growlog

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3031528/page//fpart/1/vc/1

Low 70s, keep it humid in the chamber, and give it 8-12 hours of sunlight/flourescent light per day.

That fuzz is just a good sign that your humidity is correct.

Offlinemurk01
Stranger
Re: Newb saying hi (and will you check my first shrooms please!?) [Re: myndreach]
    #4386471 - 07/09/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

what is the post requirement to view that, i use to have an account with more posts but lost the info arrrggggg

Offlineoutspaced
Stranger
Re: Newb saying hi (and will you check my first shrooms please!?) [Re: myndreach]
    #4386670 - 07/09/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks myndreach. The temperature in the growing box has remained at approx 71 - 76 F.
I learnt from my mistake and where I've put the box this time never gets above 78 F. I think it's probably better if the temp is too low than too high, but might the lower temperature be a factor in the small crop size?

I am also unable to see the page you linked to, I get the following error:

We cannot proceed.
Access Denied.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

Cheers,
out-spaced

InvisibleLeftyBurnz Happy Birthday
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Newb saying hi (and will you check my first shrooms please!?) [Re: outspaced]
    #4386905 - 07/09/05 03:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

10 post's and 15 days

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

OfflineJJ01769
Out looking formyself
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost in my mind...
Re: Newb saying hi (and will you check my first shrooms please!?) [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4387020 - 07/09/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Those didnt look too bad to me. Im just starting out myself and will be pleased with results like that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation