Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Incense

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
The Strawberry Alarm Clock - "They Saw The Fat One Coming" (mp3)
    #4386195 - 07/09/05 08:30 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The feel of this song reminds me of sitting beside a lake on a warm July night and watching the moon's reflection on the surface of the water. Despite the chill vibe of this song, if you listen to the lyrics, it's actually about a stranger who comes to a town speaking of subversive issues only to be executed in a church at the end. This is the fourth song on Strawberry Alarm Clock's 1968 sophomore LP "Wake Up...It's Tomorrow", which is my personal favorite Clock album. Listen, and discuss...............

The Strawberry Alarm Clock - They Saw The Fat One Coming
4.75mb / 3.26

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewharfrat12
Stronger thanDirt

Loc: Sinking beneath the water...
Re: The Strawberry Alarm Clock - "They Saw The Fat One Coming" (mp3) [Re: Learyfan]
    #4386208 - 07/09/05 08:44 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I like it:thumbup:
Sitting beside a lake seems like the perfect setting for such a relaxing song. What else can you recommend from Strawberry that is similar? The only other song I've heard from them is Incense and Peppermint.

:gd_icon:

--------------------

"Tell me the cost, I can pay let me go, tell me love is not lost.
Sell everything, without love day to day insanity's king."

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: The Strawberry Alarm Clock - "They Saw The Fat One Coming" (mp3) [Re: wharfrat12]
    #4386230 - 07/09/05 09:08 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well, there are three other songs from the "Wake Up.." album that should have been hits IMO. Tomorrow (about the transitional period after having a life changing psychedelic experience), Sit With The Guru (about mediation) and Pretty Song From Psych-Out (great song from the soundtrack to the movie "Psych-Out") are all wonderful songs. Other than the title track, my favorite songs from their 1967 debut LP "Incense And Peppermints" are Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow, Birds In My Tree and The World's On Fire. There are some good ones on the "World In A Sea Shell" and "Good Morning Starshine" albums, but like most groups, the first two albums are the best.

--------------------

Offlinewharfrat12
Stronger thanDirt

Loc: Sinking beneath the water...
Re: The Strawberry Alarm Clock - "They Saw The Fat One Coming" (mp3) [Re: Learyfan]
    #4386235 - 07/09/05 09:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome man! I was just hitting up amazon.com listening to those little preview things of songs and it has led me to a massive downloading of SAC songs.

--------------------

"Tell me the cost, I can pay let me go, tell me love is not lost.
Sell everything, without love day to day insanity's king."

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: The Strawberry Alarm Clock - "They Saw The Fat One Coming" (mp3) [Re: wharfrat12]
    #4386247 - 07/09/05 09:33 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet.  :cool:

Don't get confused with the "Incense And Peppermints" albums, though.  Their first album is called  "Incense And Peppermints".  For some reason they also named their greatest hits album  "Incense And Peppermints":confused:  Click my links to see which is which. 

If you end up really getting into Clock, they were orginally called  Thee Sixpence and there is a CD called "Step By Step" which is made up of all of their singles.  They actually recorded the "Incense And Peppermints" song under that name, but change it before it was released.  Here's what Borderline Books says about Thee Sixpence..........

Quote:

Thee Sixpence   

Personnel:
LEE FREEMAN vcls, hrmnca, gtr A B C D
GENE GUNNELS drms A B  D
ED KING gtr A B C D
GARY LOVETRO bs A B C D
MIKE LUCIANO tamb, vcls A B
STEVE RABE lead gtr A
MARK WEITZ vcls, keyb'ds  B C D
RANDY SEOL drms  C D
GREG MUNFORD vcls    D

ALBUM:
1(-) STEP BY STEP (Akarma AK 034) 1998

45s:
1(A) In The Building/Hay Joe (All-American 333) Apr. 1966
2(A) Long Days Care/Can't Explain (All-American 303) Jul. 1966
3(A) Fortune Teller / My Flash On You (All-American 313)  Oct. 1966
4(A) Fortune Teller / My Flash On You (Dot 16959) Oct. 1966
5(B/A) Heart Full Of Rain/(Gotta Get The) First Plane Home (All-American 353) Jan. 1967
6(B) Heart Full Of Rain/Fortune Teller (All-American 353) Jan. 1967
7(D/C) Incense And Pepermints/The Birdman Of Alkatrash (All-American 373-AA/373-A) 1967

NB: (1) as by The Sixpence, 'B' side title is a mis-spelling of HEY Joe. (6) is a second press of (5) with Fortune Teller replacing (Gotta Get The) First Plane Home. (7)'A' side of 7 also has a 'p' missing from 'Peppermints'. 

From Glendale, California this band is best known for being the early incarnation of the Strawberry Alarm Clock, arguably one of the most famous, colourful, and doubtless the most commercially successful U.S. flower-power psychedelic-pop band.

Some band members were earlier in a sixties surf outfit called the Irridescents who released a 45 back in 1963. The adaptable and durable Ed King would find success again in the '70s with Lynyrd Skynyrd. Incense... vocalist Gary Munford was a member of label-mates Indescribably Delicious, leading to speculations ever since as to their identity, which have finally been clarified with another Akarma reissue - see the Indescribably Delicious entry.

Thee Sixpence's line-up was pretty fluid - Ed King joined after the first 45. Following Heart Full Of Rain the group recorded Incense And Peppermints, but before it was released, their name was changed by management to the Strawberry Alarm Clock. The group played Santa Barbara quite a bit, leading to speculation that they were based their, but all but Lee Freeman came from Glendale.

Step By Step gathers together all their All-American 45s above and adds one bonus track, The World's On Fire, an awesome rambling garage-psych workout from Strawberry Alarm Clock's debut album. Indeed this album is essential listening for garage, psych and Strawberry Alarm Clock fans and is unreservedly recommended. It bristles with raw fuzzy garage and psych gems which, with the obvious exception of Incense And Peppermints, barely hint at the subsequent transformation into Strawberry Alarm Clock and their wider-appealing kaftan-and-beads psychedelic pop. Covers include faithfully raucous versions of Love's Can't Explain and My Flash On You and the oft-visited Hey Joe and Fortune Teller. Heart Full Of Rain was later covered by label-mates Big Brother.

Many of their tracks had previously been compiled: - In The Building, with its hypnotic drum fill, on Psychedelic Disaster Whirl (LP); Fortune Teller on Psychedelic Unknowns, Vol. 4 (LP & CD); My Flash On You on Psychedelic Unknowns, Vol's 1 & 2 (LP), Psychedelic Unknowns, Vol. 1 (Dble 7"), Sixties Rebellion, Vol. 8 (LP & CD), I Was A Teenage Caveman (LP) and 60's Punk E.P., Vol. 2 (7"); Long Days Care on Diggin' For Gold, Vol. 7 (LP); Heart Full Of Rain and In The Building on Filling The Gap (4-LP).

(Max Waller / Vernon Joynson / Mike Markesich)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Incense

Community >> The Pub