Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXentar
Stranger
ID request. I very much doubt it is active but I am still curious as to what it is.
    #4386176 - 07/09/05 08:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

--Specs--
*found on a front lawn in small groups just growing with the grass
*brown/black gills
*stems from 50-100mm generally no more then 5mm diameter (min approx 2mm)
*cap 20-40mm off white with some greying. Convex.
*black spore print.

Because theyt don't bruise blue I am pretty sure they are not active but I am curious exactly what they are.

I havent worked out this sites image hosting (or bothered to set up with a free image hoster just yet) but if this is neccessary I can upload some images.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: ID request. I very much doubt it is active but I am still curious as to what it is. [Re: Xentar]
    #4386243 - 07/09/05 09:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Some pictures would probably help us clear this up a bit better. There does seem to be a slight chance that you have Panaeolus subbalteatus, which do not stain blue and are active, but generally when I see a lawn habitat I say that I have my doubts. I am no expert on this, so wait for more help, but here are my other thoughts:

The description gives us an ok start, but we need more to go further. Panaeolina foenisecii is probably the most common lawn growing mushroom in my area (which is not active). They have a dark brown spore print, and it IS possible to confuse it with black at times. Taking it out in the sunlight can help clear this up. Some more info that would be helpful: Stem color and any details about the stem (grooves in it or not), if the gills hang below the cap or not, and of course some pictures would be best too. The cap being grey, I would say that it is an older one if it is one of the mushrooms I listed above, as they usually start off closer to brown.

Like I said though, I am not expert at this.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

OfflineXentar
Stranger
Re: ID request. I very much doubt it is active but I am still curious as to what it is. [Re: Ramuh]
    #4386260 - 07/09/05 09:51 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry about quality, these are taken with my 7610 camera (I need to invest in a digital camera I think). I also have a few pictures of them in the grass but they were over the 200k upload limit so I will need to install photoshop etc. if they are necessary (and truthfully the photos are terrible and would be of little help).

One other question is there a main resource that the community here use to make Identifications? I have a lot of different sites book marked for this purpose but none of them can conclusively tell me what I have (I guess this has a lot to do with experience too).

Anyway thanks.

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Loc: N. Georgia
Re: ID request. I very much doubt it is active but I am still curious as to what it is. [Re: Xentar]
    #4386504 - 07/09/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like some sort of inky cap. Not active.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification