Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Eisenhower foresaw the danger
    #4386101 - 07/09/05 06:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961 

"A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together. "

He tried to warn us, but nobody paid any attention. In the forty years since this statement, the military-industrial complex has energetically gained influence, while the citizenry, unfortunately, has become less alert and knowledgeable. We have taken the wrong road, and while yesterday we were fighting in a war to end all wars, today the war against terrorism is the beginning of an endless war.

:sad:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Eisenhower foresaw the danger [Re: exclusive58]
    #4386133 - 07/09/05 07:09 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Funny that Eisenhower would warn against what I always felt he was largely responsible for creating...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Eisenhower foresaw the danger [Re: Seuss]
    #4386136 - 07/09/05 07:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I guess you write about what you know.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Eisenhower foresaw the danger [Re: Seuss]
    #4386154 - 07/09/05 07:41 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Eisenhower was a total insider, but he wasn't the one who created it. He was there at the birth of the military-industrial complex, which had not existed prior to WWII.? Ike saw it all as it was being created, and he could also see where it could take America as a nation.?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4387177 - 07/09/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

so does nobody care that their government is being governed by men in the shadows?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4387331 - 07/09/05 06:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

No one in France cares their government is being run by men in the shadows. Why should Americans?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: Eisenhower foresaw the danger [Re: Phred]
    #4387384 - 07/09/05 06:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

eisenhower forsaw the danger and forsaw the need for americans to have a interstate highway system so that our country could move materials needed incase of a invasion or factories being bombed, we now have the BEST HIGHWAYS IN THE WORLD!

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Eisenhower foresaw the danger [Re: Phred]
    #4387419 - 07/09/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

nah, in france we know who's pulling the strings, what is kept in the shadows are the true intentions of these people.

in the US, not only are the men in the shadows unknown, but their intentions are kept hidden as well.

and the fact that american influence in the world is enormous, americans have a greater responsibility, which is to find out who they are giving their tax money to and where that money goes, and to make sure that their government is still of the people and for the people, and not for the industrial military complex.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Eisenhower foresaw the danger [Re: JoeyBond]
    #4387468 - 07/09/05 07:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

No shit, I've yet to travel to a country that has as good of a highway system. (And I'm pretty well traveled.)

And the curves of the highways and all, totally look like they where made for people to be able to go 120+ if there was really a need.

It's sad that people had there houses taken for them though. And that that eventually lead to the current state of things. (being that the gov. can take you're house even for private organizations, even when it's not NEEDED.)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion