Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Why the Left Fights.
    #4381956 - 07/07/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why the Left Fights
By Dennis Prager
FrontPageMagazine.com | July 6, 2005

We don't know who President George W. Bush will nominate to succeed Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. But this is certain: Democrats will smear the nominee.

It will not matter how personally honorable, how intellectually honest, how legally profound this nominee is. Indeed, the greater the individual, the greater the personal attacks will be.

Why?

There are three reasons.

First, Democrats believe that conservatives by definition are bad people. As Howard Dean, the head of the Democratic National Committee recently said, "in contradistinction" to Republicans, Democrats care if children go to bed hungry at night. In most Democrats' minds, conservatives/Republicans do not care if children go to bed hungry, and they are racist, intolerant, regard women as inferior, are stingy and mean spirited, and prefer war to peace.

The reason they see conservatives this way is that most people on the Left are certain that they mean well; therefore their opponents do not mean well. Moreover, liberals tend to assess policy positions on that basis -- are the motives good? -- rather than on the basis of what actually does good.

For example, liberals advocate bilingual education for immigrant children despite the fact that bilingual education hurts immigrant children. It slows learning the language of the adopted country and integrating into it, and thereby hurts their chances for success. Nevertheless liberal educators and politicians prefer bilingual education -- out of compassion for immigrant children (and antipathy to American assimilation). Therefore liberals believe that since compassion leads them to favor bilingual education, only a lack of compassion can explain conservative preference for English immersion.

Likewise in liberal eyes, the Republican/conservative preference for lowering taxes can only emanate from selfishness and apathy toward the poor. And conservative support for the war in Iraq cannot emanate from love of liberty and a moral desire to destroy Islamic totalitarians, but rather from love of oil, commitment to American imperialism and macho adoration of military might.

On issue after issue, Democrats perceive Republicans as not merely wrong, but bad. And when fighting the bad, almost any weapon may be used.

The tactic of choice has been the smearing of conservatives. There are few major conservative political figures whose names have not been sullied by liberals. It began with Judge Robert Bork, reached its nadir with Clarence Thomas and continues to this day.

Republicans have come nowhere near making the number of personal attacks on the private lives of public individuals. One reason, ironically, is that people expect more decent personal conduct from conservatives.

Nor is it intellectually honest to counter that Republicans did the same thing to President Clinton. Had President Clinton said, "I am sorry for my lapse in judgment. I am sorry to my family and to my country," Republicans would have dropped the Monica Lewinsky affair. It was his lying -- to the country and under oath -- that kept the issue alive.

A second reason Democrats and others on the Left use smear as a political weapon is to avoid challenging ideas and intellectual argument. Liberals have been able to do so in all the areas they dominate -- academia, news media and unions. Instead, they have learned to rely on personal attacks, such as routinely labeling opponents "racist," "sexist," "homophobic" and "intolerant."

Third, having been unable to persuade the American public to adopt most of its policies, the Left has increasingly relied on the courts to do what the political process will not do. As Democrat William A. Galston, former aide to President Bill Clinton, admitted this past weekend, "Beginning in the 1950s, the Democratic Party convinced itself that, especially on social issues, the principal vehicle of advance would be the court."

Therefore, nearly all the Left's eggs are in the judicial basket. It knows: no liberal courts, no liberal agenda. When combined with moral contempt for conservatives and an inability to persuade the public, the Left must retain the Supreme Court at any price. And that price is the good name of good people. As you will see.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=18665

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4382060 - 07/07/05 11:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This stuff is so incredibly stupid. There's a certain segment of people who believe that their political opponents don't agree with them because they are somehow mentally deficient or morally corrupt. That they are completely and utterly right, and that opposing opinions could only exist due to an inability to think properly, or are simply a mask for greed and a desire to deceive.

They exist on the left, and on the right. There are people on the left who write about how the only motivation whatsoever for war in Iraq is a desire to exploit people and steal their oil, which is pretty silly.

Then there are people like this guy, who assumes that all liberals are unable to understand that other people might have a different perception of right and wrong. He claims that all liberals believe that they can use any tactics they want, because they are "right" and the others are "wrong".

Then he goes on to claim, without presenting any kind of evidence to back it up, that there have been far less personal attacks against liberals from conservatives.

When Belinda Stronach defected from the Conservative party to the librals, she was called an "attractive dipstick", and accused of "whoring herself out" by her former colleagues.

Pretty much the entire campaign against Bill Clinton was based on a personal attack.

Have you ever even watched Bill O'Reilly? He hardly shows anyone he disagrees with any respect whatsoever.

Attacking the intelligence and character of all liberals is hardly a reasonable thing to do.

Annapurina and you have a lot more in common than you think.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Phluck]
    #4382119 - 07/07/05 11:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I doubt Prager is claiming that every single Leftie does every single one of these things. As a matter of fact, having read some of his prior work, I know that's not what he claims.

However, there is no way to claim that the conservatives aren't (as a rule) decidedly more civil in their behavior than the Lefties (as a rule). Personal attacks are far more prevalent from the Leftie side. That's just the way it is these days.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Phred]
    #4382124 - 07/07/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Being situated almost exactly in the middle, it disgusts me to hear the garbage spewed from the left and the right. For every Moore, there is a Coulter. The problem with today's politicians and analysts is that they are more polarized than the American public is, so the looks are deceiving to people outside the US.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Phluck]
    #4382130 - 07/07/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

phulck said:

"Annapurina and you have a lot more in common than you think."

did you read the article???

"...such as routinely labeling opponents "racist," "sexist," "homophobic" and "intolerant."

oh what irony.... liberals will discuss issues with you for about thirty seconds, then start calling you names."

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Phred]
    #4382197 - 07/08/05 12:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
However, there is no way to claim that the conservatives aren't (as a rule) decidedly more civil in their behavior than the Lefties (as a rule). Personal attacks are far more prevalent from the Leftie side. That's just the way it is these days.

Please back up this assertion. In my own experience, I've found the opposite is generally true. I have quite a few liberal friends at college and conservative friends at home, and I find the former to be much more civil and open than the latter.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Silversoul]
    #4382344 - 07/08/05 12:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I refer (as did Prager) to Lefties in public life -- the ones whose comments are routinely carried in the news reports.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4382682 - 07/08/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

(disclaimer ..the quoted article implies..correctly or otherwise..that democrat <=> liberal and republican <=> (neo)conservatives...so i will use them as such in this thread...)

Quote:

We don't know who President George W. Bush will nominate to succeed Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. But this is certain: Democrats will smear the nominee.

It will not matter how personally honorable, how intellectually honest, how legally profound this nominee is. Indeed, the greater the individual, the greater the personal attacks will be.

Why?

There are three reasons.

1) (s)he will vote to expand executive denial of legal due process (and marginalize recent SCOTUS rulings against it)...

2) (s)he will vote against my right to a legal abortion...

3) (s)he will be a sweetheart to religious fundamentalists.. let alone a neocon twit...

Quote:

As Howard Dean, the head of the Democratic National Committee recently said, "in contradistinction" to Republicans, Democrats care if children go to bed hungry at night. In most Democrats' minds, conservatives/Republicans do not care if children go to bed hungry, and they are racist, intolerant, regard women as inferior, are stingy and mean spirited, and prefer war to peace.

the truth of deans' statement above is of course self-evident..and has proven itself umpteen times under the neocons...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4383580 - 07/08/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why speculate about how bad the new appointees are going to be when all you need to do is look at the current SCOTUS to see a group of people who are willing to take away a citizen's rights.

Plus, Roe or Casey is not going to be overturned. Even many of the conservative judges have admitted that Roe is a decision that is firmly implanted into the US society, and to overturn it would be chaos.

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4383845 - 07/08/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think a damn good example of conservative attack tactics and name-calling would be Rush Limbaugh's radio show.. Ever heard it? To say that Lefties are more prone to name-calling is rather fallacious.. Dick Cheney himself was recorded using profane terms on the floor..

I am by no means saying that Liberals don't tend towards the same disgusting behavior, I'm just saying there is no side that has the 'higher-ground' in this situation.. There is no such thing as fair and balanced anywhere in this country.. That is our major problem, Everybody is split 50% 50%, from one ridiculous non-sensical extreme to the other..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Kalix]
    #4383907 - 07/08/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I can think of one good reason why democrats will fight whoever bush nominates. Repubs have the president and congress...have to do what they can to protect the 2 party system. Give repubs the supreem court and democrats might as well retire....in canada lol.

When the repubs have all their buddies in the supreem court, what is going to stop them from giving bush a 3rd or 4th term? What is going to stop them from overturning ANY previous rulling they please? Very scarey thought that my country has come to this point.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Sycronica]
    #4383935 - 07/08/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sycronica said:
I can think of one good reason why democrats will fight whoever bush nominates. Repubs have the president and congress...have to do what they can to protect the 2 party system. Give repubs the supreem court and democrats might as well retire....in canada lol.

When the repubs have all their buddies in the supreem court, what is going to stop them from giving bush a 3rd or 4th term? What is going to stop them from overturning ANY previous rulling they please? Very scarey thought that my country has come to this point.

It is the presidents job to nominate a supreme court justice. Bush won the past presidential election. What is so scary about this? What are you talking about "overturning ANY previous ruling they please?". The system is working exactly how it is set-up.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4383960 - 07/08/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

scary thought is that bush senior appointed Souter...
and Reagan appointed O'Connor...

Bush better have some balls this time.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4384003 - 07/08/05 01:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sycronica said:

That is absolutely absurd and you damn well know it. That is purely tin-foil hate wearinf logic.

What's "scarey" (sic) is that you and other far left-winger's believe that this sort of thing is going to happen.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #4384938 - 07/08/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Why speculate about how bad the new appointees are going to be when all you need to do is look at the current SCOTUS to see a group of people who are willing to take away a citizen's rights.

Plus, Roe or Casey is not going to be overturned. Even many of the conservative judges have admitted that Roe is a decision that is firmly implanted into the US society, and to overturn it would be chaos.

even the current SCOTUS could not give bush a blank check to arrest and imprison ppl w/o due process (and if im not mistaken..o'connor wrote that decision)...bushs' candidate will no doubt work to marginalize such decisions and expand executive priveledge to revoke your right to a trial-by-jury...and this i fear even more than losing my right to get an abortion...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why the Left Fights. [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4385417 - 07/08/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

But they have pretty much nullified property rights for the sake of economics and spit on state's right in the Raich case. I dare say anyone can do MUCH better than this crew.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #4385492 - 07/08/05 10:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

and i dare say that bush can do much..much worse...imagine the current SCOTUS with janice rogers brown..or an ideological clone thereof..taking o'connors' place..and giving bush the blank check to revoke your right to legal due process...and in all fairness..earlier SCOTUSes had already nullified states rights in US v sprague (1931) and wickard v filburn (1942).. the latter being the precedent for raich v ashcroft...

--------------------

Edited by Annapurna1 (07/09/05 02:48 PM)

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
    #4386924 - 07/09/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

That is absolutely absurd and you damn well know it. That is purely tin-foil hate wearinf logic.

What's "scarey" (sic) is that you and other far left-winger's believe that this sort of thing is going to happen.

If one party controlls every aspect of our government they can do whatever they want and YOU damn well know it. What accountability is there if you only have to check yourself? At least with 2 parties you can hope they would keep each other in check. That's the idea...

Err where's my tinfoil hat? I think my dog chewed it up  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4386972 - 07/09/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sycrinica writes:

Quote:

If one party controlls every aspect of our government they can do whatever they want and YOU damn well know it.

Such as getting a vote on judicial nominees who have been waiting (in some cases) four years? Such as getting a vote on the new US representative to the UN?

How about reforming the broken Social Security system? Or even getting a budget passed that was smaller than the previous year's?

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #4387922 - 07/09/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The reason they see conservatives this way is that most people on the Left are certain that they mean well; therefore their opponents do not mean well.

the author is almost admitting that most ppl on the right are *not* certain that they mean well..and prolly dont care...

Quote:

Moreover, liberals tend to assess policy positions on that basis -- are the motives good? -- rather than on the basis of what actually does good.

how cute..but also typically neocon..to reverse the meaning of "good" starting from the word "rather"...makes no sense whatsoever...

Quote:

bilingual education hurts immigrant children. It slows learning the language of the adopted country and integrating into it, and thereby hurts their chances for success.

on what is that based??...not surprisingly..the author provides no references to any study..statistics..etc that shows this to be the case...

Quote:

And conservative support for the war in Iraq cannot emanate from love of liberty and a moral desire to destroy Islamic totalitarians, but rather from love of oil, commitment to American imperialism and macho adoration of military might.

this is a well known and documented fact..with some of the most damning evidence coming right of the neocons' own mouths ..

the infamoust PNAC website...
fmr treasure secy paul o'neill (2004)...

Quote:

Third, having been unable to persuade the American public to adopt most of its policies, the Left has increasingly relied on the courts to do what the political process will not do.

the authour is only saying that the majority is necessarily correct..and the left has no business questioning this premise in the courts or otherwise...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom