Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: ChasingBoomers86]
    #26986404 - 10/15/20 03:51 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I am eastern Virginia, and we tend to have very similar habitats as NC, and as far as finding actives go...Gymnopilus Luteus, Gumnopilus Junonius, Panaleous Cinctulus, and “BlueFoots” are probably going to be your best bet. Personally, I would start learning about the gyms and quit wasting time in cow fields. I feel like I find gyms every day around here, and they are indeed a very interesting active species because of the many extra alkaloids they contain.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRob864guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26987921 - 10/16/20 04:13 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

This is going to sound silly, but I heard they are not really edible. I never thought about going for the gyms though, I'll have to give it a try. At least they'd be good to hold onto till I find a way to get the good stuff from bad.

--------------------
There's enough poop in my pants for two... not really though.

Offlinepsychosium
 User Gallery

Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: Rob864guy]
    #26988107 - 10/16/20 09:15 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I've never found anything in NC until I started going for gyms specifically.

As for edibility... Well, they are extremely bitter, but not "bad." I know a lot of people will disagree with that, it's not for everyone. I admit that I have a weird tolerance for bitterness. But I don't think they're as bitter as the wormwood I flavor my tea with sometimes, for example. They're certainly not as bitter as psychoactive cactus. And if you want to know the true meaning of bitterness, try a calea z. infusion; gyms are a treat comparatively.

Also, gyms smell awesome, not like a mushroom at all.

As for the trip... Well, they're mild, but pleasant. Plus some gyms potentially contain other alkaloids that may or may not give them a unique character (Similar to alpha-pyrones, found in kava).

I'd say give 'em a go if you get the chance. Now's a good time to look for 'em, too. Just be sure to study up on 'em, and get them ID'd here first, they were pretty tricky for me to ID correctly before I finally found 'em myself; they can be easily confused with a bunch of other things.

--------------------

Offlinespagooter
Hunter/Gatherer

Loc: DeepSouth Flag
Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: Mind_Of_Souljah]
    #26988136 - 10/16/20 09:37 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mind_Of_Souljah said:
I live in Murphy, North Carolina. South Western part of the state. These pics are from my backyard off my horse ranch. Its been really dry here lately. We need some rain!!!!

I'm not an expert, but some of those large ones look an awful lot like Panaeolous antillarum.

OfflineRob864guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: psychosium]
    #26988141 - 10/16/20 09:45 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah we just had a good 6 hour rain. Didn't even bother driving to the field today though, it's a good 40 minute drive and I'm a little downed by not finding anything but I've thought about going to a local park and walking the trails. Might have some kind of luck in a different environment.

Are these things rare? I looked at pictures of the few gyms that are around here and I think they shouldn't be too hard to spot. Hah I'm envious of the people that have the good mushrooms growing in their backyard.

--------------------
There's enough poop in my pants for two... not really though.

Offlinepsychosium
 User Gallery

Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: Rob864guy]
    #26988200 - 10/16/20 10:41 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

IME they're sort of rare, but my experience is also limited. Other folks seem to find 'em almost whenever they want.

A lot of folks will tell you that you'll find them in wood chip piles more easily, and I don't think they're wrong about that, but I personally haven't had any luck with that yet. I prefer hitting the trails & woods, checking around logs and stumps (Especially oak). They might be harder to come by that way, but being out in the woods is it's own reward for me; shrooms are a bonus if I come across them.

If you know what you're looking for, they are definitely not hard to spot. When I found some yesterday, they were about 20 ft. off the side of the trail, through some downed trees and dense wood debris, growing off the side of a stump facing away from the trail, and I was still able to see them clearly; they're so big & brightly colored. To be fair, tho, I've been to this spot before, so I knew where to look. But the first time I just stumbled onto them and was like, "Oh shit! There they are!" (literally, I tripped and almost fell on them, lol.)

Edited by psychosium (10/16/20 10:43 AM)

OfflineJbmebane
Stranger
    #27499117 - 10/10/21 04:41 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, im in mebane nc. Got 10 acres to hunt.

Edited by Jbmebane (10/10/21 04:42 AM)

InvisibleSpicyWizard
I'm a teapot

Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: Jbmebane]
    #28700948 - 03/16/24 07:00 AM (13 days, 2 hours ago)

You still around buddy? I moved recently and was looking for some good spots.

Ps: sorry to blow this post up again guys. But the season has nearly arrived!

Offlinefnulnu
Student
Male

Loc: terrapin station, in the shado...
Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: toolfan]
    #28700971 - 03/16/24 07:40 AM (13 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Jbmebane said:
Hey, im in mebane nc. Got 10 acres to hunt.

Quote:

toolfan said:
what about new bern, or morehead city...anyhting there

Bro, I've never seen them in Carteret or craven county.
There is a cow field on military cutoff road in Wilmington(maybe next to Wilmington, it's been a couple decades). They are there, at least they were

--------------------
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28645465

A noob that would sure love some constructive criticism ..I have a learning difficulty, but I think I got this!

Offlinejustjarvis
dork
 User Gallery

Re: Finding Shrooms in NC [Re: fnulnu]
    #28701268 - 03/16/24 12:15 PM (12 days, 21 hours ago)

Ovoids have been found in NC.  I’d think that might be the better bet.  Like around creeks and rivers in wood debris.

--------------------
'tis an ill wind that blows no minds
  -- malaclypse the younger

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates