Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Problems with PF jars, poo, and liquid culture (HELP!)
    #4383359 - 07/08/05 11:55 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

firstly: my attempt at poo spawn fai led terrilby... about a month or two ago i soaked dehydrated cow poo which has like wood chipped chunks in it for like 3 days, and let it drain for about one, then I boiled it for 45 minutes to try and get it sterile, then my friend was supposed to work on it. He mixed in the spawn supposedly in a 1 to 3, making 4 ratio and he said that he broke the spawn (PF CAKE) up until it was nearly mush; not really as in small chunks. This was a month ago now, and at first there was some whitish frosty growth, but that all stopped. It hasn?t really grow, or contaminated and I?ve aired it out a few times. It?s in a zip lock bag incubating in my closet. I don?t know what?s wrong

secondly: my jars aren?t taking. I had a few jars dry out not too long ago, so I made my next few rather wet. I used maybe just under 1.5 times the water called for in the 2:1:1 mixture ratio of the PF tek. The jars look rather dark and somewhat damp on the inside. Is it just supposed to be unnoticeably wet inside, or what? I am going to try to make a few less wet jars soon.

Since the poo isn?t spawning well, I was wondering if I could add a little poo to my PF mixture? Would it colonize then? It would just substantially add nutrition, is all. Or I may just mix in a teeeeeny bit into a casing when I make it.

My room is usually reading as about 82-83 degrees farenheit on a aquarium thermometer encased in glass, and the professional thermometer about 28-29 degrees Celsius. Is this good? Or should I be aiming higher (meaning I need a heater)?

Also, my liquid culture is about a year old and has been LC to LC transferred at least twice. Are these just too old?

please help, you guys.

Thanks in advance

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebackupwards2
Stranger thanyou

Loc: in my mind
Re: Problems with PF jars, poo, and liquid culture (HELP!) [Re: 4hodmt]
    #4383609 - 07/08/05 01:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

1) the poo should be able to breath during colonization. get it out of the ziploc and put some foil or saran wrap over it with some holes poked in it. when preping the poo, don't boil it for sterilization, you are just asking for a bacterial bloom that way. you need to read up on how to pasturize the poo. 160-170 degrees for and hour or so. don't go over 180 though or you are reaching that sterilization plateau. there are beneficial organisms in the poo that help with growth and sterilization kills them.

2) you should really stick with the ratio of 2:1:1 for the brf cakes, adding more water and you will not get colonization, i have had jars that appeared to be dry colonize fine.

3) i suppose you could mix some poo with the brf cakes, but it would just be better to spawn to it. yeah mix some into a casing.

4) your temps should be fine, optimal is said to be 85-86 but i don't see any reason that 82-83 won't work.

5) not really sure about the lc's questions, maybe someone else will help you with that one.

good luck
peace

--------------------
If you are not sure what you are doing STOP and go read some on what you are trying to do.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Problems with PF jars, poo, and liquid culture (HELP!) [Re: backupwards2]
    #4384529 - 07/08/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Have to agree with backupwards2 except for the temp. part. Colonizing poo generates a great deal of internal heat and should be incubated at a slightly lower temp. I do mine between 74-78 degrees.

Good Luck.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Problems with PF jars, poo, and liquid culture (HELP!) [Re: HippieChick]
    #4384675 - 07/08/05 07:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ya same here, i do mine at room temp and they do fine!!!i had some unpasturised poo 6 inch subs colinize in 5 days!!!i think im going for more !!!!!

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

Invisiblebackupwards2
Stranger thanyou

Loc: in my mind
Re: Problems with PF jars, poo, and liquid culture (HELP!) [Re: sludge]
    #4385465 - 07/09/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

you all are right with the poo, i was thinking of the brf jars during colonization. i have also incubated my spawned poo at room temp and have had very quick colonization. sorry for any mixup.

good luck
peace

--------------------
If you are not sure what you are doing STOP and go read some on what you are trying to do.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation