Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck
    #4381325 - 07/07/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hi everyone, thanks for giving time to read this. I am having a current struggle in my life, I am 18 years old, soon to be a senior in high school. Over the years of my life I'm starting to realize that I don't want a regular life like other individuals. Ive known this my whole life but I want to be something great and powerful. I know that sounds wrong but in my life, power and respect gives me happiness. When ever I watch a movie they always expire me to be something great. I always watch the actors and I always tell my self "wow I wish I was an actor". I respect the acting arts too and skills that are preformed. The truth is I want to get the most out of life, I don't think having an ordinary job in a cubicle would do in my life, my brain wouldn't except it. My whole life Ive wanted to be an actor and but I have done nothing to for fill it. I'm graduating in a year, and I don't know were I'm going to go, I have no experience in film but my friends say I'm a natural at acting, I create abounch of movies on my camera. I'm kinda stuck in a hole because the only thing I want to do is to become a professional actor, one day I want to be in the movies. I was wondering what others opinions on this was. What should I do when I graduate? Should I move to LA and try to be an actor? Should I go to acting school? This is the one most thing I want to do in my whole life, i have dreams about it constantly everyday of my life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck [Re: DarkFluFFy]
    #4381408 - 07/07/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe you could start this year by joining the drama club or the like at your school and participate in a few productions. I'm sure your HS has something like that, as most do. Then you can go on to some sort of acting school. I really don't know much about this sort of thing, but it seems to me that it takes a LOT of persistance to become a professional actor. Even the most famous actors were rejected a lot at first, but they stuck with it, and succeeded. All I can add is follow your dreams - you'll be much happier knowing at least you tried. Good luck there!  :laugh:

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#4381414 - 07/07/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

moving to LA wont work....

everybody there has the same idea....

you gotta start small,go to a school,and maybe do plays,little stuff...

other wise,you'll probally just be another mailman,waiter,ect..trying to sell them selves to everyody in la...

--------------------

OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

Re: Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck [Re: CaptainH13]
    #4381793 - 07/07/05 10:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

First you need to work on getting an agent. To get an agent you have to go to auditions. These things only occur in bigger cities so it may be a problem if you live in a small town. You can also go to conventions and huge theatre productions. A huge part of being a successful actor is who you know. Your connections are everything. So after you graduate, you might consider an acting school, or majoring in performing arts.

-Go to plays, audition for shows, meet the people. If you have the talent and the drive, your in. Good luck.

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South
Re: Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck [Re: Crestfallen]
    #4382601 - 07/08/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm in no way a professional actor, so take this for what it's worth.

I live in one of those cities where the film industry is starting to buzz. More productions of various types are being made here and more jobs are available in peripheral ways (make-up artists and set designers, etc).

I think moving to LA, where the ground is thick with the blood of failed film industry types, is a good way to get lost if you're just starting out. I would say a maybe a move to Vegas or Vancouver would be a better way to approach making money through acting or being involved in film.

As a bonus while you're making money and getting your mug down on film, you can go through whatever kind of training you need for the area you really want to go into (classical hardcore theatre or romantic comedy, whatever).

Doing commercial work and attending school is a great way to make the connections you need, too.

Just some ideas...

--------------------

~I was born of a voice untimely,
the so-called echo of a man's ordure~

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #4382632 - 07/08/05 02:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i want a #1 biggie sized with fruitopia to drink...

oh wait, give it a few years and my post will make a lot more sense.

goodluck!

:sun:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4382797 - 07/08/05 03:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

OK,

Damn man... I was just going to go to sleep!

I know a thing or two about acting.

If you want power, perhaps acting isn't the best profession for you. The odds of making it BIG are slim to none, even for good actors. If you want instant fame and fortune, you are likely, barking up the wrong tree. Life as an actor is HARD. The road to power is LONG and not guaranteed.

If you want to act, you must be a patient and pesistant student of life, communication, movement and the human condition. You must trust and put your faith in the creative process. Then you must ACT upon your instincts. Being a Shroomerite means you're at least, half way there. :wink:

I know you are interested in film, but the GOOD Acting schools are ALL Theatre schools. If you wish to learn to act, you should look to the stage. A camera is just a small, portable stage... with adjustable sized sets.

I HIGHLY suggest school. Here's a few reasons... you're very young, and the world can eat you alive... a good school will provide you with good fundamental artistic training... you will have a chance to do a bunch of plays (90% chance you will act in MORE shows while you are in school than when you aren't)... you will build a resume... you will meet a network of friends and mentors... you'll get to study ART while others are studying math... you will have a SAFETY NET for your many future mistakes... you can always change your major... BEER BONGS!

Pick schools that will train you to ACT. Get a degree in ACTING. Don't seek a THEATRE program, FILM program or, a FILM ACTING program. Find a good ACTING program. A CLASSICAL Acting program. Make sure they offer classes in most, if not all of these subjects: Voice, Speech, Movement, Acting, Dance, Singing, Theatre History, Technical Theatre, and Movement technique like Tai-Chi or the Alexander Technique. A 4 year college Bachelor Program is perfect, but you may wish to take a 2 year workshop at a good school in LA or NYC instead. Do not waste your time in a bullshit program. Visit as many potential schools as possible. Consider the history of the school and its acting program. Do you know, or like any of the program's graduates?

Watch productions at as many potential schools as possible. A school that does good plays, usually has a decent ACTING program. See if you like any local programs... if there are any.

Don't rule out grad school once you finish undergrad. You have a MUCH better chance of becoming rich and famous if you go to a good graduate program. If acting was easy, you could get a degree in the mail. :wink:

Fuck film for now, unless you already look like a model and, speak like a politician. Look to theatre if you wish to act. Damn near ANY guy can get into a community or high school play. If you want to be an actor, ACT. Get in a play, if you don't get cast in one, AUDITION FOR ANOTHER. Even if you don't get cast, every audition is a chance to act!

If you don't practice auditioning before you audition for schools, you risk looking like a bad American Idol contestant.

Fuck an agent for now... just ACT. You will get an agent when you need one.

If you LOVE acting, if it keeps you awake at night, pursue it with all your heart.

Start studying the craft NOW. Learn who these guys are/were... Stanislavski, Chekhov (Anton and Michael), Boleslavski, Strasberg, Meisner, Adler, Hagen. Start reading THEIR books. Learn the importance of The Globe Theatre, The Moscow Arts Theatre, The Group Theatre, The Actor's Studio and The Living Theatre. Learn the origins of theatre. Read "The Mask of Apollo".

Watch "Inside The Actor's Studio", if you can get over the annoying host, you will learn how MANY of your favorite actors got where they are today. The VAST majority of them went to school.

Look up, and learn the definition of "Theatre", "Act", "Action", "Acting", "Art", "Realism".

Learn all you can. Take classes and do plays at your High School, pick SEVERAL (at least 10) schools with VERY GOOD drama programs, PRACTICE THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR AUDITION PIECES... and go to the best school which accepts you. Get a good coach to work with you for your audition.

Follow my advice, and you WILL get into a GOOD Acting program... and have the foundations for a career in the arts.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any more questions.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#4383220 - 07/08/05 08:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I now nothing about acting or film but, I do know about power and what it takes to gain it..........Some advice about power

2 parts to power

First, power does not feel like power. Real power feels like love. Or should I say: Power is a love of your talents and others respecting your talents. People are natural born followers and a few are natural born leaders. What are you ? Only you will know and only you can believe in you. Oh yes, others will say this or that about you. Both good and great. But what will you do with it ? You see, it is not what you expect from others but what you believe in them. Power over your life and world comes from putting in others what you have in you.

What does any of this have to do with acting ?

Do you think Tom Cruise got the "Power" he has just because he's a good actor ? No he is a great leader and a great person. Like most well known actors he has got that "something". There are alot of great actors but, they are not famous.

Fame ? Is that what your after ? because fame is far different from power ? Charles mansion is famous.

Your motives need to be questioned friend and only you have the honesty to ask yourself. What exactly are you after ? Power based on self-fulfillment is doomed. True power is based on others needs. When you learn that lesson you will be on your way.

No matter what it is your going to do it takes focus, determination, passion and pain.After that you will need to develop good people skills. For some that comes natural, for others it takes practice and study. People are your ladder. For without people you will have nothing.

Power has two edges. One good and one bad. True power comes thru respect and trust of those around you. I know I am repeating myself but I can not express it enough.

Second,
The greatest people in the world did things their way. Follow you heart. What I mean is that new ideas that work and become power houses came from the minds of people who knew within themselves that they were in fact great people but somehow never told nobody. You must make your own path and stick to it. You need not move anywhere. If you are making great films and your friends enjoy them. Do that and keep doing it. Educate yourself and learn all that you can. Develop a base of people that trust in your talents and the rest will follow. The people with the money will come to you. Have fun in all that you do and work harder than anyone around you. That is the real key to power.

There is a ton of great advice in this thread. Just always be true to you own talents and your own heart. The greatest power comes from your own path.

Funny thing about power. Once gained it is nothing you thought it would be.

Good luck

Edited by Fucknuckle (07/08/05 09:10 AM)

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #4385072 - 07/08/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

take Cervantes advice :wink:

in high school i always wanted to be a director. i went to college in film school, stuck with film for two years, then it was like fuck that, i mean it would be cool to be a director, but i don't have the passion for it that is needed.

go to a 4 year school where you can be some sort of an acting major. you may realize that either you don't want to do that at all, or you still do want to do that. if you still do, stay with it. if not, there are plenty of other majors at 4 year liberal arts colleges. it's never too late to decide. you have your whole life ahead of you. you'll find out if it's really for you when you're in college.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Re: Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck [Re: nightkrawler]
    #4387349 - 07/09/05 04:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks everyone for expressing your opinions, I was thinking about going to Toronto film college, it seems like a great place to develop Media editing/ acting skills-
http://www.torontofilmcollege.ca/

I hope Toronto is a good starting place, it seems like a great city. I have my mind set on this goal and I wont quit until I achieve it, Ive been like that my whole life. I achieve any goal I set my mind on to. Any other opinions I want to thank you all for your support!

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4387535 - 07/09/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Great... but film/acting is NOT what you need to become an actor.

Really.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4387585 - 07/09/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DarkFluFFy said:
I have my mind set on this goal and I wont quit until I achieve it, Ive been like that my whole life. I achieve any goal I set my mind on to.

That's the spirit! :thumbup: It's going to take a lot to break into the field, but with a bit a patience and perseverance, you can do it!  :laugh:

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4387650 - 07/09/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Giving up is easier.

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: Im 18, I want to be an actor, Im stuck [Re: WeAreAllOne]
    #4391145 - 07/10/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You can achieve anything, no matter what other people say ANYTHING you put your mind to. Stay strong, stand high, and don't let other people try to control what you want, don't let them bring you to they're level. You have a dream, shine to it, now that is true happiness.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4391379 - 07/11/05 01:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder