Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Hurricane cultivation supplies
    #4383039 - 07/08/05 09:31 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well In this part of Florida we have a category4 hurrican headed our way this weekend. We were slamed by Ivan one year ago and it devistated this place.
Anyways I have 1 small casing 15 colonized jars 2- 55 gallon tubs of h-poo, my question is too all the smart shroomery people, is there any way to pasturize poo with a propane burner or anything?
Are there any other supllies anyone can think that I might need without electricity and maybe no running water.

Also one thing I do love about hurricanes is shroom hunting after words, you can see all kinds of mushies that you have never seen before, as well as exotic looking plants that I have never seen wild in Florida, anyways I just want somthing to do for the week that Im not working because of no power or open roads PEACE.......

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Hurricane cultivation supplies [Re: djsage420]
    #4383078 - 07/08/05 09:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

buy a couple battery powered flouros - wal-mart - $6. Look up a pasturization tek involving boiling and use your propane burner as a stove.

GL to ya bro, hope you make it through Dennis alright. Im sure ill get hit here in North Central FL later this season.

Happy Trails

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Hurricane cultivation supplies [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4383140 - 07/08/05 10:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i dont like to wish bad upon others but i really hope it doesnt make an east turn..... i got hit directly by the eye of francis and that other bitch...... and i got flooded even more by ivan.... hope everyone else will be ok....

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Hurricane cultivation supplies [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4383261 - 07/08/05 11:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Also one thing I do love about hurricanes is shroom hunting after words, you can see all kinds of mushies that you have never seen before, as well as exotic looking plants that I have never seen wild in Florida, anyways I just want somthing to do for the week that Im not working because of no power or open roads

That's got to be the best state of mind....:thumbup:

5 for you

and gl

-Gnostic

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hurricane cultivation supplies [Re: djsage420]
    #4383310 - 07/08/05 11:32 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I live in South Fla. I was on my way to Key West yesterday. I got all the way to Islamorada. Stopped at the Tiki Bar to down a couple of beers. All of the sudden the manager of the hotel near the bar said that they had just issued a mandatory evacuation and I had to turn around and head back north.  :crazy: All that driving for a couple of beers! NE way- here is a good thread about pasturizing large amounts of poo: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4371270#Post4371270

I like Agar's method in that thread, although I don't think I'll ever be able to do it :frown:

Hope this helps!  :goodluck:

--------------------

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Hurricane cultivation supplies [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4383363 - 07/08/05 11:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You have several options that I can see. The first is to use your propane burner (make sure you have extra to cook your food), and a 55 gallon drum. If you can't get a 55 gallon drum, try to get a good old galvanized steel trashcan. Next get 4 regular bricks like 3.5 x 8 x 2 (or something close), and a grill grate, found by the grills in home depot, sold as a circular grate by itself.
Lie the bricks in an x pattern. Place them on their side so that they look thin and long when you look directly down over them. Sorry if that's not too clear, but your trying to make a space between the bottom of the drum and the grill for water to boil.
Fill the drum with water to about an inch below the grill. Fill your substrate into filter patch bags or foil trays, already adjusted to proper moisture content. Lie the bags or trays in such a way that there is a hole in the center of the drum that you can see clear to the bottom once the drum is filled with substrate. Also leave about 6 inches of space from the top bag or tray and the lid of the drum or trash can. This creates a passageway for the steam to travel, circulating easily through the drum and getting a nice even pasteurization. Also the hole allow a space for you to refill the water level when it drops too low, about every 45 minutes to an hour, you should add some water. Steam like this for about 4 hours. Make sure your lid is on tight, but drill a small hole for the steam to escape this aids in circulation.
Okay your second choice is something I'm still working on. A solar pasteurizer. We've built one at the ECHO farm in N. Ft. Myers, and are still testing it out. But it seems to work amazingly well. It is basically a large solar oven, tamed down to only heat to 160-180F, instead of the 350 F that solar ovens usually work at. It cost us exactly $0 to build and $0 to run. Here's how you build it.
We got a dead upright freezer for free at a local appliance shop, just had to pick it up. We got a sliding glass door from a local glass company, also for free. (both of these items are usually laying around and waiting to be dumped, so companies are happy to have you haul them off.) We got them both back to the farm, ripped out the shelves in the freezer, pressure washed the freezer and glass, and took the door off the freezer. Next we put the freezer on its back, so it's open face is to the sky. We slid the glass on top of the freezer, and it basically made its own seal by fitting so nicely. We popped a turkey thermometer to the little hole in the bottom that was created when we took off the freezer coil. It went directly into the chamber of the pasteurizer, and was sealed off with a rubber stopper with a hole, to seal the thermometer in. On a nice Florida afternoon it runs at around 170 F. This is with no modifications. If it needed to run hotter to reach pasteurization temps (for those up north) you could paint one side at a time black on the inside of the pasteurizer, this will increase the temperature gradually. Paint one side test the temps, if it needs to be hotter paint another side (start with the smallest sides), and so on. We didn't have to paint it at all.
To us it, just fill the pasteurizer with bags full of straw, pre-bagged substrate or the foil trays, and let it sit for the afternoon. I'd suggest putting the substrate in early in the morning so it all raises temp gradually as the day goes on, avoiding a temp drop if you put in substrate when it is already at temp. Also put a jar of distilled water in the pasteurizer and it will keep the substrate moisture content from cooking away.
I'll go take a picture in after lunch, and have some posted in a few hours if anyone's interested in seeing how it looks.
Hope this helps
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation