Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Microsoft Encourages Spyware Officially
    #4381413 - 07/07/05 10:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Microsoft Encourages Spyware Officially [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4382697 - 07/08/05 04:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i dont have any MS "anti-spyware" on my system..but what i do have is equally useless..and its a good bet that their doing something similar...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4383132 - 07/08/05 10:21 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Microsoft Downgrades Claria Adware Detections
By Ryan Naraine
July 6, 2005
8 comments posted
Add your opinion

Microsoft's Windows AntiSpyware application is no longer flagging adware products from Claria Corp. as a threat to PC users.

Less than a week after published reports of acquisition talks between Microsoft Corp. and the Redwood City, Calif.-based distributor of the controversial Gator ad-serving software, security researchers have discovered that Microsoft has quietly downgraded its Claria detections.

Anti-spyware activist Eric L. Howes, who serves as a consultant to Sunbelt Software, discovered the default changes during a recent test that included four Claria applications: Dashbar, Gator, PrecisionTime and Weatherscope.

According to the results published by Howes, four different builds of the Windows AntiSpyware beta detected the Claria products, but the default recommendation was "ignore."

Prior to the recent tests, Microsoft's AntiSpyware tool detected Claria's products and presented users with a recommended action of "Quarantine."

Although the default has been changed to "ignore," users can still change the action to "Quarantine" or "Remove" via a drop-down menu.

Writing on the popular Broadband Reports security forum, Howes described the default changes as "troubling," coming so close on the heels of the acquisition talks between Microsoft and Claria.

According to Sunbelt president Alex Eckelberry, the default recommendation from Microsoft occurred on March 31. As part of a prior agreement, Microsoft is sharing adware/spyware definitions with Sunbelt.

"At any rate, does this mean that Claria will, in fact, be purchased by Microsoft? Not necessarily. It could mean, however, that the two companies are working together in some other capacity, or that Claria has successfully lobbied Microsoft to change the default action. Or, it's a simple oversight," Eckelberry wrote in a blog entry that included screenshots of Microsoft's Claria detections.

In addition to the Gator-branded products, Claria's adware applications include eWallet, DateManager, WeatherScope and PrecisionTime. The company's behavior-tracking database of users' surfing habits is believed to be among the biggest in the world.

In the midst of increased consumer awareness and general distrust of the sector, Claria has attempted to clean up its reputation, distancing itself from some of the distribution affiliates that secretly installed its software, and making its software easier to remove.

However, critics argue that the adware products present a privacy threat and also degrades computer performance.

A recent spyware report from Webroot Software Inc. lists Claria's software as the second most prolific adware install, appearing on more than 2 percent of consumer desktops.

Webroot also counts Claria's GAIN application as the second biggest threat to desktop computers.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4383536 - 07/08/05 12:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ethically, that just proves M$ is a POS !
M$ with this build, lowered the severity level once again and Claria's spyware is still detected but listed as ignored.

Still, this is kind of actions do not benefit the consumer in any way, worst yet, they are lowering your privacy level.

M$ should buy Claria to shut it down, not to profit from them.
PR wise, this is a shot in the foot.

MAIA

edit: i re read the article and the info is ok.

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (07/08/05 12:59 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Microsoft Encourages Spyware Officially [Re: MAIA]
    #4384117 - 07/08/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Microsoft sucks....Linux promotes freedom.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4387749 - 07/09/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I read this on Slashdot the other day... that's majorly fucked up.

Power (money) corrupts. Long live open source.  :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology