Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Loc: mushland
overlay?
    #4379475 - 07/07/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Does this case have overlay?

I am cold shocking them too halt more growth.
I checked the FAQ and im hesitant too deep scratch if it is overlay.
My terrarium is at 90% RH and and 80.F. If pinning temps need to be at 70-75F. Is fanning the best way to drop the temp?

The casings have been exposed to light, and fanning for 2days now. When will i expect pinning? Exposing to light seems to have sped up growth but i need pinning, not more growth.

I am a newbie and thank you for your time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: overlay? [Re: mushboy]
    #4379504 - 07/07/05 01:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

for the temps... i dunno who origonally suggested this... but alternate 2 2liters inbetween the freezer and your terrarium.

dont deep scratch.

did u patch before you dropped this casing into the FC?

pinning normally takes between 3 and 14 days.

its not really overlayed yet, but it might get there. Overlay is more of a solid mass of myc on top of the casing layer. That is not a solid layer of myc....

happy trails and GL bro

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #4379512 - 07/07/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Not overlayed, on the contrary, looking good. :thumbup:
Keep doing what your doing

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Re: overlay? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4379541 - 07/07/05 01:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

should I put the cakes back into the fruiting chamber if its not overlay?

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4379562 - 07/07/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yes, definately... keep them in the FC from here on out...

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

#4379641 - 07/07/05 02:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

>>>I am cold shocking them too halt more growth.
With that much growth.. I cold shock as well to make sure they know what they are supposed to be doing.

>>>My terrarium is at 90% RH and and 80.F. If pinning temps need to >>>be at 70-75F. Is fanning the best way to drop the temp?
No, you need to lower the temps. Fanning will not do it. You either need to turn on the AC, or you need to get something frozen and stick it in or around the tub. Ice packs.. Ice cubes.. an unfriendly ex-girlfriend.. anything really cold.

They can pin without it.. but your vegatative growth seems to be pretty aggressive.. so I would really lower the temps NOW to stop that.

Good luck
~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: overlay? [Re: Quiescence]
    #4379673 - 07/07/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'd also follow that advise, if it were me ^^^^

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4379680 - 07/07/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

rhizo up the ass, which is good. I would go ahead and fruit those to avoid real overlay.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Re: overlay? [Re: soochi]
    #4380412 - 07/07/05 05:33 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

After 4-5 hours in a cooler full of ice & cold water (was around 50 degrees according to a temp guage inside) the cakes are back in the terrarium. I added a cup and a half or so of water with a lil hydrogen peroxide mixed in to the perlite, and also fit around the cases in the terrarium 2 trays full of icecubes [the water of which i added some hydrogen peroxide as well]. my windows are open and plenty of sunlight is coming in on em; i also have my overhead light with the whitest bulbs i could find (didn't have any real blue spectrum ones, just the shitty normal lightbulbs with clear blue paint). the bulbs are G.E. "reveal" 60watt soft white bulbs. The bulbs almost seem to have a slight purple tinge to them. Temp inside the chamber has dropped to around 77 degrees; I dont know how long that will maintain though. I know lower is ideal, but if the temps around 77-79 degrees and I give em like 12-16 hours of light daily, and fan em several times a day, will that be enough to trigger the mycellium to start pinning? (BTW strain is blue meanies)

1 other thing I'm still wondering about, if you live somewhere with the right outdoor temp and humidity could you just take a casing and put it out on your porch our outside on an open window sill? (if doing an outdoor patch in the ground isnt an option)

Thanks for the help guys

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
    #4380547 - 07/07/05 06:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I predict it will become overlayed. In the fruiter.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Re: overlay? [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4383372 - 07/08/05 11:58 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, they've been in light for two days, yesterday I had the cases in a cold chamber (around 55 degrees inside) for 4-5 hours then back in the terrarium for the rest of the day and night with tons of ice cubes in the chamber; also a couple freezer cold packs, with appropriate amounts of light, and fanning several times a day for ther last two days. All last night the terrarium stayed around 72-74 (as the ice packs melted overnight it heated a little back up). Why won't these biatches pin? Everything I did yesterday to halt growth and start pinning only seems to have made them grow faster, if you compare this pic with the one from my original post. The mycellium is really clumping together and forming thick mats, what do I do! (I have no vermiculate and I have to travel at least a couple hours in any direction to get to a place that has some, so I'd like to avoid patching if possible.

Edited by mushboy (07/08/05 12:01 PM)

InvisibleGlassOnion
Stranger
Loc: Antartica
    #4383473 - 07/08/05 12:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would just leave them to fruit the way they are...They will pin eventually!

They've only been in the light for 2 days total? You still have about a week until you would normally be getting pins anyways, so just sit and wait. (it's generally about 10 after the casing has been introduced to light/fruiting conditions that it pins)

Edited by GlassOnion (07/08/05 12:39 PM)

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4383486 - 07/08/05 12:41 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Don't worry too much on what kind of light, any light will do. Make sure you're rh isn't too high (it sort of looks that way) and yes, fan fan fan. They should be pinning any day now.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
Re: overlay? [Re: soochi]
    #4386059 - 07/09/05 05:44 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

RH 80-85 degrees is where you want your humidity. How they looking now? what was your substrate and casing tek?

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Re: overlay? [Re: dalorean]
    #4386328 - 07/09/05 10:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Substrate was standard PF BRF/Verm (the verm was the finest they had); casing is 60/40 verm/CC nuked in a microwave for 8 min to sterilize.  No signs of pinning this morning  :sad:  the mycellium looks like some of the harder spikey coraly strands are forming more soft white lumps......hopefuly pins will come out of those? :frown:  Arg I'm going to have to take those damn cakes out and drain my tank I bet; in trying to cool off the terrarium and adding way too much water the perlite has become ridiculously soaked, the the point that putting an icepack in it sinks into the perlite almost. Maybe easier and more sterilie to just dump it all outside give it a wash and add new perlite (and while the cases are out maybe stick em in a fridge or something for another cold shock).  I guess the more mycellium exposed the more pins will come up, but the higher risk of it failing and turning into overlay before pinning even happens. I've got more than enough of it showin, I just need these damn fungal sluts to pin!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4386560 - 07/09/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Cause its only been a few days. Chill man, dont fuck with more cold shocks...you really should put some casing mix on top of that thing though....

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Re: overlay? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4386815 - 07/09/05 02:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Vermiculite can't be found anywhere within reasonable driving distance. Anything else I could case with? Is adding casing with a different mixture than was originally used bad (was 60/40 verm/cc).

There was waaaaaay too much water in the tank; to the point that all the perlite was floating rather than retaining. I drained it all out, and sterilized as best i could the inside of the terrarium and exposed perlite with a ton of lysol and hydrogen peroxide/water mist. The cakes are back in the terrarium with two big icepacks and a couple dozen icecubes crammed in. Current temp is around 71 degrees. Ive got a couple questions about the pinning stage and I've read contradictory answers on the message board so far--

--When all the mycellium you want has broken through and you want to initiate pinning, should the room temp be brought up or down? (mines been around 87-93, currently at 89 since the first night I put the cases into the terrarium)

--If the RH is high enough on its own do I even need to mist the cases? They aren't yellowed at all but they do look pretty thick and tough in some place.

--Its very hard for me to keep the temp lower than like 77 without constantly adding new ice (the melting of which is what raised my water level so high in the first place) or adding freezer packs (only got 2 and takes like half a day for the POSes to re-freeze after they melt). After these bitches finally start pinning to when they finish fruiting, must the temp be kept low? Or is it really only important when you're trying to first get em pinning?

--How many hours of light is ideal (they're blue meanies, if it matters)? I read people saying they give em 4-5 hours, others 12-16 hours! BTW my lightsource is sunlight comin through my windows

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4386912 - 07/09/05 03:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

>mines been around 87-93, currently at 89 since the first night I put the cases into the terrarium

Theres a BIG problem. They should be brought down, right now your to hot even for incubation, let alone fruiting. Incubation should be done at 85, fruiting at 75...up to 80 is OK, but 90's is BAD. Not that it wont work, but your gonna have problems.

>If the RH is high enough on its own do I even need to mist the cases? They aren't yellowed at all but they do look pretty thick and tough in some place.

Mist some, and over the cakes and allow the moisture to fall onto the cakes. Also mist the walls and such, that should be enough.

>Or is it really only important when you're trying to first get em pinning?

Much more important when your tryin to induce pinning, however high heat, like in the 90's, can definatly cause everything to abort, so can large temp fluctuations. Around 80-85 they'll still grow, if conditions are kept well, and they'll grow quicker at the higher temps...if they dont abort.

>How many hours of light is ideal (they're blue meanies, if it matters)? I read people saying they give em 4-5 hours, others 12-16 hours! BTW my lightsource is sunlight comin through my windows

From 1-18 hours...I think 12 hours a day is perfect, or whatever the sun gives them (make sure its INDIRECT sunlight). After pinning I often drop lighting back alot as they seem to grow faster and bigger with only a 6 hour light period after pinning, but works just fine in 12/12 throughout the cycle/

--------------------

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

#4387887 - 07/09/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you have been a big help. ill update with more pics and hopefully some pins!

OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

#4389092 - 07/10/05 05:26 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Oh ya and I meant my HUMIDITY was around 87-93 (percent). Since [trying to] initiate the pinning stage the temp has been around 72-76 degrees. (before when I was letting the casing colonize it was around 84-87 degrees).

Since I never have lights on in my room and indirect sunlight always shines through it I'll just give the mushies a natural light cycle to go on.

Sorry I (well, we) are just really nervous and excited and prolly just not relaxing and giving it time. It hasn't begun hardening and yellowing into overlay so no reason to panick yet.  I'll post some good/bad pics when it either starts pinning or overlaying like crazy :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation