Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator"
    #4378657 - 07/07/05 02:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

In a post I saw Roadkill mention that there are errors in the text.

I was asking about cloning commercial shrooms and was worried about the being a few weeks old since in TMC it says
"Tissue cultures must be taken within a day or two from the time the mushroom has been picked, after which a healthy clone becomes increasingly difficult to establish."
Now OK, they don't say it is impossible, but on reading that it infers to me that you would need great experience to be able to do it, yet many here said it is very feasible.

In the same paragraph they say
"The advantage of using spores is that they are viable for weeks to months after the mushroom has decomposed."
Now I have had no trouble getting 3 year old spores stored in a plastic baggie on paper at room temp to grow within a week. Again it is not wrong, but neither is saying "spores are viable for minutes to hours after the mushroom has decomposed".

As for additions, there is no info on LC injection of substrates though it does talk of myc slurries of mushroom tissues, or that rice does not need pc'ing.

In another thread I was questioning the moisture content they recommend for rye grain, every recipie I see on the internet recommends more water than they do.

I am still really only starting to read the book, but is there any serious errors in the text people could mention, or is it just typos.

Edited by blackout (07/07/05 02:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: blackout]
    #4388719 - 07/10/05 12:44 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you have a problem with stamet's research then confront him about the possible flaws in his text... if you just plain think that he is behind the times, then write your own book

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: blackout]
    #4388725 - 07/10/05 12:47 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

He (or someone) should write a book showing scaled-down grow operations. Using a 9 qt. pressure cooker, a 10 gallon stewpot and a rubbermaid container instead of an autoclave that is the size of a room, a 55 gallon barrel and a special mushroom-Room.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: fungophiliac]
    #4388735 - 07/10/05 12:49 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Um...Don't be a fuckhead?

Black's got a good point.

I've read other people mention that some things in his book are somewhat incorrect or a bit "off".

Write your own...:lol:...Don't be a douche :nonono:

Anyone have any pointers? I've read some exerpts and would like to know as well. :wink:

-Gnostic

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #4388747 - 07/10/05 12:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

see the only problem with the book is it is old. now we have the great shroomery where you can take many peoples experiene and create a better way to grow. plain and simple more people=better results in this case.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4388762 - 07/10/05 12:57 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lemon_lw said:
see the only problem with the book is it is old. now we have the great shroomery where you can take many peoples experiene and create a better way to grow. plain and simple more people=better results in this case.

Lol...What? :smirk:

Only problem with that is...Everyone does something silightly different and their experiments are less scientific...Not a lot of peeps around here use controls and such..ectect.

The book may be old...But when it has its faults - The shroomery doesn't make up for :wink:....New shit is being figured out all the time...

And more people = More confusion IMO...lol

Anyways, anyone got any information?

-Gnostic

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4388802 - 07/10/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sorry bout that nostic, guess im getting a little to sleepy. but the shroomery does kinda make up for it by letting newbs ask questions. but by communication the new shit tht gets discovered can be learned by everyone just not the soul discoverer. dont pay me no attention right now im rambling and tired.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4389133 - 07/10/05 04:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have Stamets book, and without the help of the Shroomery a lot of it was very confusing, I think using the Shroomery, and TMC, you have an invaluable resource.. Stamets book is geared more towards someone who has there own property, and can set up a whole clean room. I haven't found anything wrong per se with the book, but to start small a la growing off cakes, to gain an understanding of the principles that Stamets covers, the Shroomery is invaluable..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: Kalix]
    #4389868 - 07/10/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

it is a very good book, but if anyone knows of an updated version or just a better book to buy im all ears :smile:

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What needs to be revised/corrected/updated/added in TMC "The Mushroom Cultivator" [Re: fungophiliac]
    #4394924 - 07/12/05 02:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fungophiliac said:
if you have a problem with stamet's research then confront him about the possible flaws in his text...

I have read that some members have emailed him with questions but he doesn't reply.

Quote:

fungophiliac said:
If you just plain think that he is behind the times, then write your own book

I have the book and just want any mistakes pointed out, I think I read that he will ever revise TMC. Roadkill said there were actual errors in it. The 2 bits I pointed out were not errors. If we were back in 1984 and I read the book as my only source of info, I would now be thinking that my spores prints won't last more than a year, and that cloning a commercial shroom would lead to poor results.

Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
    #4398176 - 07/12/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

was that the common idea at the time among the other scholarly works as well 10 years ago? i don't know but if you look at other textbooks which this book attempted to be ( one of the first on cultivation even) in the early stages of any science things will change as common scientific values are established. ever wonder why it is so hard to say that there are any "LAWS" in biology? because everything is variable, except when it isn't. the science itself is also largely variable.
as for the reason he doesn't respond to emails is beacause he is probably busy managing quite a lot of business and still working every day. if your level of education is not equivilent or close to his and you shoot him a question, even a good one, he may not answer just because he doesnt have a lot of time to divert his attention away from his proffesion.
ultimately who knows. by the way i see alot of conflicting information about growing here in the shroomery. it should be no wonder that even in a scientific community things will be learned and corrected.
just my opinion of course

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder