Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Paul Stamets, Peat, Perlite, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Ideal pinsets and flushes
    #4378475 - 07/07/05 03:18 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I think that most other experienced cultiators in here will agree with me in that, once you've developed your sterile technique, grains, spawning to compost and casing, the most important skill to develop and master is that of applying and making the perfect casing layer.  The ingredients, to a large part, do not matter (in my opinion).  I've had excellent sucess with 100% verm, 50/50 Verm/coir and verm/peat, andmixtures of all of them, with activated charcoal added, no activated charcoal, lime, hydrated lime, perlite, egg shells... lots of admixtures.  They've all worked.  The thing that really matters is the preparation of the layer.

First, the consistency.  It needs to be light and fluffy.  Most people make their casing layers (and substrates, actualy) too moist.  If you can squeeze the casing layer and just a few drops run out between your fingers, you got it right moisture wise.  I usually beat mine with a fork to "fluff" it up.  I make mine just a bit more moist than it should be, then I microwave it to sterilize it. I do this until it steams, then I stir it, and nuke it again till it steams.  Let it cool in the microwave.

A good casing layer should be at least a half inch deep.  I've tried 3-4" casing layers before and gotten HUGE flushes, but I've always figured that just adding 2.5-3.5" more compost/straw and adding a .5" casing layer would have the same effect.  So, a half inch deep at least.  Thats my "standard".

I apply my casing layers with a fork.  I take the bowl out of the microwave and fluff again with a fork. I either keep the fork in a pan of boiling water to keep it sterile, or I submerge it in 91% rubbing alcohol for 30 seconds before I fluff, either way seems to work.  Then I fluff some casing layer, scoop it out and dump it on the mycelial mat.  I repeat this until it's all used up and evenly applied.  Then I gently track the tines of the fork up and down the length of the casing to even it out and rough it up some.  I mist it with a mister with some h2o2/h2o (even though I've used dH2O before and it worked fine). 

Now, thats as far as most casing layer instructions go, other than "fruit when you see X, Y or Z characteristics".  Here's "the rest of the story"...

You want the mycelia to stay in it's vegetative stage.  Don't peek in every day or that will slow down mycelial growth through the casing layer.  I usually wait 3-4 days, then when I look, it's already poking through the casing layer.  I patch-case, applying casing just as I did before, just enough that I can baarreely see the white mycelia under the patching.  Let it incubate another 2-3 days and I usually have about 70-80% colonization.  Now, I GENTLY just sprinkle more casing layer on, just enough that the mycelia underneath is visible, then I fruit it.

You really need to do all of these steps to have a "canopy of caps".  When you get  your casing layers down properly and the procedure down pat, you'll end up getting about 80-90% of your total weight from three flushes, rather than 4-6 flushes.  Much lower contam rates, and you get BIGGER FLUSHES and BETTER PINSETS.  I see lots of pictures here of a casing layer with a few clusters of shrooms, and thats great that people have sucess, but keep refining your casing efforts with the 'perfect pinset' and the cap canopy as goals, and you'll be glad you did.

discuss amongst yourselves :wink:

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ideal pinsets and flushes [Re: SoopaX] * 1
    #4378498 - 07/07/05 03:27 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I only do the first 2-3 days incubation, patch, then fruit immediatly..

I'd also like to add that I feel its important to apply the casing layer slowly and nicly over the surface in the manor Soopa described or something similar. I think alot of people dump a big bag or jar of casing mix right in the middle making a big pile in the middle, then spread the casing layer out from there...this compacts the center of the casing mix on top of the casing, while the edges remain fluffier....that leads to quicker colonization around the sides and pins showing up there first instead of the center. If you do dump it all into the middle, its important to make sure you fluff up the center after you spread it all out.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Ideal pinsets and flushes [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4378540 - 07/07/05 03:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
I think alot of people dump a big bag or jar of casing mix right in the middle making a big pile in the middle, then spread the casing layer out from there...this compacts the center of the casing mix on top of the casing, while the edges remain fluffier....that leads to quicker colonization around the sides and pins showing up there first instead of the center.

I did that and I think your right you would want a casing to be fluffy as hell.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ideal pinsets and flushes [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4379014 - 07/07/05 08:52 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I will also add as i've mentioned in my casing thread that substrate levelness is as important as an even thickness of casing mix to getting optimal pinsets. Over the years I've actually seem that most newbies have too dry a moisture content in there casings, myc thrives in a nearly saturated environment not saturated and important tool to learn. I also inc, patch then fruit immediately having flushes while others are just getting there pins set :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: Ideal pinsets and flushes [Re: hyphae]
    #4379138 - 07/07/05 10:52 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think a good excerpted technique from TMC can be used here with great succes to achieve the perfect moisture content. Take your ingredients, weigh them out on a digital scale or eyeball it if you don't have a digi (you should buy one anyways so your not getting ripped off on ur bags), reserve 10% of all the dry ingredients. Then you mix up the 90%, add water until saturation (water starts dripping from the mixture), pour off any excess water that wasn't absorbed, and add the 10% of DRY ingredients.

At first you will be like "no way this shits swampy..." but after you PC or microwave it, when applying it and especially when you see your subsrtrate growing into it, you will thank yourself for achieving a perfect 90% saturation level. At least that's what Stamets told me...

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Ideal pinsets and flushes [Re: lemunhed]
    #4379190 - 07/07/05 11:21 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

a

Edited by memes (10/17/12 06:19 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Paul Stamets, Peat, Perlite, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation