Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

My First Casing Setup - Look okay?
    #4378430 - 07/07/05 03:03 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

For my third grow I'm going to do kind of a bulk casing setup. =0)

Ingredients:

^--- 6 of these - 3 for each tub.  (They fit perfectly in these tubs, no unused space, but not too tight.)
( 12? x 10? x 3? )

^------ 24 pint Jars total. (Quart jars won't fit in PC :undecided: )
I might need to get more of these...looks like I underestimated.

Going to have 6 wbs casings total, with a 50/50+ casing layer.  The wbs depth will be about 2 inches and the casing depth will be about 1/2 inch.  Each casing tray is 12? x 10? x 3?  These will be housed in a partially automated setup.  I'm not so sure that that pump will provide enough air exchange, so the tubs will probably have to be fanned every once in a while.

I will be using a variety of strains that will probably include Texas, EQ, GT, B+, and PES Hawaiian.

The WBS is soaking right now, going to simmer and PC tomorrow.
If I keep temps and humidity at proper levels, what kind of yield can I expect from a flush of these 6 casings?  Does this setup look alright?

Thanks =0)

Edited by Anonymous (07/07/05 04:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Casing Setup - Look okay? [Re: ]
    #4378448 - 07/07/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sure, I know exactly what kind of yeild your gonna get out of there. I mean you didnt provide how much substrate the container will hold, or the size of the container...plus I have no idea what sort of conditions, water or strain your going to be providing....but hell I'm psychic. Oh wait, no I'm not :frown:

Everything in the setup looks ok though if the casing containers all fit..of course those are going to be a tight fit with 3 per probably and probably block the air flow and humidity flow from under the casings....but it depends on the size of both containers.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Anonymous

Re: My First Casing Setup - Look okay? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4378454 - 07/07/05 03:09 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, let me edit my post a bit.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4378466 - 07/07/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That looks like a great setup.  :thumbup:

What are you using with the air pump?  Bubble wands or Glass of Water?  If Bubble wands, you need some Perilite or Geolite/Hydroton

Have you considered just doing the Single/Double Tub TEK?

Also, if that's your PC'er, It's going to take a while to do multiple PC runs because that looks like a pretty small one.  Trust me, I know from using a 6Qt that it won't hold nearly enough when doing grains, but you probably know that.

AS for the Yield, good luck getting an answer on that one.  Too many variables.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Anonymous

Re: My First Casing Setup - Look okay? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4378499 - 07/07/05 03:27 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CLUTCH said:
What are you using with the air pump?  Bubble wands or Glass of Water?  If Bubble wands, you need some Perilite or Geolite/Hydroton

I'm just using air stones that will be placed in the center of the tub.  Do I need to use perlite with these?  I was under the assumption that the casings would provide adequate humidity.

Quote:

CLUTCH said:
Have you considered just doing the Single/Double Tub TEK?

Didn't know there was such a TEK.  I'll look into it.

Quote:

CLUTCH said:
Also, if that's your PC'er, It's going to take a while to do multiple PC runs because that looks like a pretty small one.  Trust me, I know from using a 6Qt that it won't hold nearly enough when doing grains, but you probably know that.

Yeah it is a pretty small PC. :undecided: I'm going to end up doing several batches.

Quote:

CLUTCH said:
AS for the Yield, good luck getting an answer on that one.  Too many variables.

Darn.  Well, if I keep these things growing at optimal conditions, can I maybe get a yield in the 1-2 ounce dry range?  I'm kind of just looking for a rough estimate here...I've never dealt with casings before.

Edited by Anonymous (07/07/05 03:33 AM)

Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
Re: My First Casing Setup - Look okay? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4378519 - 07/07/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

You're a damn smartass scatmanrav. Keep up the work.
Hey Hippie. I'm liking ur setup. I have some WBS jars ready but cant figure what to do with them. Are those aluminum dillies going to be deep enough?

Anonymous

Re: My First Casing Setup - Look okay? [Re: dalorean]
    #4378527 - 07/07/05 03:35 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I hope they will be deep enough. I might end up buying some deeper ones so I can have a deeper substrate.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4378530 - 07/07/05 03:36 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

How much WBS are you gonna be using? I mean those are gonna take at least 6 pints (that looks like the size jars you got, you shouldve gotten quarts for whole grains) per container, though I'd do more like 10-12 per pan...you'll need to fill up the pans with some quarts of stuff to see how much it takes to make the substrate 2 inches thick...if you can get 2 inches thick, per quart (2 pints) you could expect 10-20 grams...maybe more, maybe less. So if you case all 24 pints filled with WBS, in however many containers it takes to get them 2 inches thick, that would be like a dozen quarts, so somewhere around 120-240 grams could be expected (dry).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Anonymous

Re: My First Casing Setup - Look okay? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4378548 - 07/07/05 03:40 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure exactly how much wbs I will use.  Yeah, those are pint jars and I almost definitely underestimated.  I will probably have to get a couple dozen more jars.  I also might up container size so I can get a deeper substrate.

Quote:

120-240 grams could be expected (dry).

:shocked: Wow, that would be fucking awesome.

Invisiblekrishnamurti
Stranger
    #4378600 - 07/07/05 04:05 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i have the exact same tub and pans to be used for my first grow...3 pans do seem to fill in a tub just perfectly. im gonna to try a layer of perlite under the casing pans tho, and im using BRF with 50/50 for my casing. i wrapped my tub in duct tape and am going to put piece of plexiglass in the middle of the lid, to hopefully get my shrooms to grow upward and not sideways... i still have some supplies to wait on tho  :frown:

btw, since you've got a little experience under your belt, and we both using same size pan, how many 1/2 pint BRF cakes do you think i should crumble into each pan..?

--------------------
I'll see you down in Guantanamo Bay

Donate spores to FSRC or suffer the consequences!*

Wikipedia

Overgrow has been shut down :sad: check out www.icmag.com if you need MJ info

*consequences may or may not be suffered

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation