Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSO0PA_HER0
17th leveldrunken ninjamaster
fruiting chamber question
    #4377865 - 07/07/05 12:10 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

okay . i have a problem .

i have a tub in tub 30 gal . fruiting chamber . i have the submerged heater so i can keep steady temps. i have the wall mount thermometer so i can keep up on them .  i have 12 pf jars that are about 50 % colonized so its time i get on this .

i wanna birth like 3 just a cakes . and i wanna have 3 casings .
should i put the cakes in thier own pan that has perlite in the bottom?
      im gonna use a fish tank air pump to raise humidity for the casings. plus ill mist if needed.

i have a computer fan i can use to bring in fresh air.  i will mount it to a piece of pvc , what should i use to stuff in the pvc to keep out bad shit.
  and what would be the best way to make a exhaust . the same way ? pvc with filter material?

i got 2 2ft 20 wt cool tube flouros to put in the top. or i have 1 single 26w cfl if the previous is to much . but i thnk cfls are hotter ,

what am i missing ? i wanna make the best of this .  :cool:

--------------------
I?m figuring out this realization process-the process to never look upon bitter ground.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: fruiting chamber question [Re: SO0PA_HER0]
    #4377879 - 07/07/05 12:13 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If I understand your question correctly, you might as well just fill the whole bottom of the terrarium with moist perlite and keep the cakes on the perlite with the casings on the perlite as well (in their containers obviously). Misting + a fish tank air pump with some sort of nigger rigged humidification idea like a glass of water with a bubbling air stone in it probably won't work well, especially with a 30 gallon fruiting chamber. Don't fuck with the computer fan, that's asking for problems imo. Just fan regularly with perlite for humidity and mist everytime you fan. Only fanning the sides of the container.

OfflineSO0PA_HER0
Re: fruiting chamber question [Re: ImOver18]
    #4377910 - 07/07/05 12:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

who seconds this >?

--------------------
I?m figuring out this realization process-the process to never look upon bitter ground.

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
    #4377917 - 07/07/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ImOver18 said:
If I understand your question correctly, you might as well just fill the whole bottom of the terrarium with moist perlite and keep the cakes on the perlite with the casings on the perlite as well (in their containers obviously). Misting + a fish tank air pump with some sort of nigger rigged humidification idea like a glass of water with a bubbling air stone in it probably won't work well, especially with a 30 gallon fruiting chamber. Don't fuck with the computer fan, that's asking for problems imo. Just fan regularly with perlite for humidity and mist everytime you fan. Only fanning the sides of the container.

I use a similar rig with the air pump going to an air stone for O2 and a submersible heater with metal clasps around the heater to keep it submerged and away from the plastic in a one tub config and it not only works, but it kicks ars. I used to use an aquarium, but needed a bigger chamber that was less visible for a larger casing with POO. You can be very successful with this type.....don't be too quick to dismiss it.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: fruiting chamber question [Re: oysterguy63]
    #4378021 - 07/07/05 01:03 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think I know what you're saying. What's the heater under? Are you talking about a tub in tub fruiting chamber also? Or the heater's under something like perlite or geolite? My friend used an air stone in a glass of water in a 15 gallon sterlite container and had horrible results. With a bottom layer of perlite there's no chance of failure, it's the simplest option really. So do the math really, price of air pump + price of tubing + price of air stone or you've got just the price of perlite, a fail-proof humidification option.

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#4378055 - 07/07/05 01:09 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Let me illustrate..literally. Here is a large tub, with 3 " water (90/10 H2O/HP) in bottom with no perlite. An airstone hooked to a pump on one side, and a submersible heater on the other to keep it at 74 F. The casing pan is actually sitting on two bricks and is not actually sitting in the water. The top is a copy of one of the great teks on the site with a plastic window for light entry. On top of that I have a fridge grill with a fluoro on top of that. 12 on 12 off for light. The "Nigg Rigg" as Over18 puts it (LOL) works fantastic for me.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4378090 - 07/07/05 01:20 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mordecai said:

im gonna use a fish tank air pump to raise humidity for the casings. plus ill mist if needed.

You're talking about something completely different from me oyster dude. He said he's using a fish tank air pump to raise humidity. I've never even heard of the method you're using. I figured Mordecai was talking about using an air stone in a glass of water to produce humidity. Hence forth a completely nigger rigged set up as it won't work for shit.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4378119 - 07/07/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

>I figured Mordecai was talking about using an air stone in a glass of water to produce humidity. Hence forth a completely nigger rigged set up as it won't work for shit.

WTF are you talking about? A pump with a wand into a glass of water works perfectly to raise the humidity, and you dont have to deal with messy ass perlite and it provides fresh air exchanges, which perlite doesnt. Similar to the way oysterguys setup is.

Perlite is your rigged setup IMO and is shit compared to an airpump and stone in water.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: fruiting chamber question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4378132 - 07/07/05 01:36 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Weird. Perlite is virtually maintenance free. Perfect for a persons first grow. My friend was never able to get adequate humidity from an air stone in a glass of water, but he never used a wand, only air STONES. Perlite, pour in bottom, moisten, no chance of fucking it up. If your container is too big or your air pump doesn't put out enough cubic centimenters per minute, you gotta go buy a new air pump or nigger rig something else up  :laugh:.

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#4379205 - 07/07/05 11:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet....not fighting, just illustrating. Different things work for different people...just didn't want to mislead Morcedai into thinking it wouldn't work. My setup may not have been the same as you were talking about, but works under the same concept. I am a lover, not a fighter (which, by the way, bears no resemblance to any messed up celebrity that spoons with little kids).

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineSO0PA_HER0
    #4381547 - 07/07/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

okay . yea i was going with a tub in tub fruiting chamber to keep temps stable . my part of the house is the basement . so . the temps vary , from night to day . summer to winter. i just dont want to have to tear it down a million times and add shit . ... i know a basement can be a bad place for molds and shit .. so i have my fruiting chamber inside its own chamber (2 30 gal sterilite totes in a 45 gal tote. . so you have to go through 2 lids to get to my fruits.

i work , so im gone from 830 -5 pm , im trying to use a setup that i only have to fan maybe 1 or 2 times a day . same with misting. would i be able to get away with that using perlite and fanning say before and after work . ? or would it be better to buy a 20-60 gal air pump . and use a bubble wand in something ? and if i do that . should i build a filter box for the air pump . ? im trying to steer clear of contams as much as possible . thanks guys

--------------------

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#4381724 - 07/07/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I too am in the cellar and work situation. I use the air pump with the air stone/bubbler and have done it with fanning only once of twice per day......I have also done the same thing and had great success with NO fanning, so you know the stone is doing a good job with providing O2 as well as humidity. Because the temp never really gets above 68 and can go as low as 64 or 65, the submersible keeps the temp at 74 F for me. Applying filter material to the intake of the air pump will help, but I do not use it and have been okay. However, I wonder if I wouldn't maybe get one more flush without contams if I did.......hmmmmmm.

As far as the mold and such in the basement environment, I have read the same thing. However, all of my work is done in that environment, and I have done all I can to maintain sterility to a pretty decent level of success. A good rule of thumb IMO is to go the extra mile with sanitation, and that may make up for some of the shortcomings you may naturally encounter in that environment.

Good luck.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineSO0PA_HER0
    #4381826 - 07/08/05 12:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

okay .. if i have alittle perlite and the airstone just to bring in fresh air .
wont i need a exhaust ?

--------------------

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#4381953 - 07/08/05 01:06 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I don't have one...it just offsets the CO2 I believe. Waste gases will dissipate without exhaust. Again though....you don't need the perlite with the airstones but I guess is you did it right you could use them together.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4383978 - 07/08/05 02:52 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

My friend did use them together with success. Or, just put the air wands under neath the perlite and you've got a poor man's pod.

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #4384182 - 07/08/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The contams you are woried about will get past lids. Luckily, once the mycillin takes over the cake, it will hold off anything but the worst of it. Do be clean though, ya don't want green mold, just be sure the cake is compleatly taken over before birthing. I found I don't need perlite to get 100% moisture, just a fish heater at 80 F. does the trick and you don't have perlite everywhere. Ya will need to make some sort of roof over the cakes to stop dripping anyway. I get enough air to the cakes by checking them every time I walk by. Dont forget to wash your hands!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation