Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinoculum_36
MushroomCultivator
P. ostreatus on oats with hulls intact
    #4376781 - 07/06/05 05:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Has anyone had any experience growing any wood decomposers on oats with the hulls intact? Typically, this type of oats is found in 50 lb. bags as cattle feed. They are not rolled, and the hulls have not been cracked. I am at day 11 and no mycelium is visible yet on the substrate in the bags. I do however have a very strong smell of fermentation in the room, pointing to the activity of fungi of some kind.

I am wondering if the mycelium is possibly having trouble digesting the hull of the oats? Anyone had success with this type of substrate?

A little background on this culture:

* P. ostreatus grown on PDYPA in petri dishes
* Mycelial expansion into liquid inoculum containing: (1 L H20; 40g sucrose, 2 g yeast, 1 g peptone), stirred for 4 days until strands became visable and thick
* Transfer into bags of 1500 g oats + 10 g calcium sulfate + 800 ml H20. Oats allowe to soak for 24 hours, then autoclaved for 30 minutes at 21 psi. Bags cooled for 24 hours after autoclaving, then transfer of liquid inoculum at 200 ml per bag. Bags sealed and placed in growth chamber with temp at 75 (F) with daily 4 hour duration of 400 W light filtered through mesh. (not necessary, but it comes with the chamber).

Any help woul d be fantastic. I have bags of wheat which went through the same procedure, but also have not populated. The strain is viable as far as I know, and all other growth phases showed promising results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: P. ostreatus on oats with hulls intact [Re: inoculum_36]
    #4377316 - 07/06/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the one thing I have learned about oats, regardless of whether they have hulls, are rolled or cut... getting the water right... it's almost invariably too much.
Soaking for 24 hours may well have put you over the top in water content,
I've found that 7-8 hours with oat groats is sufficient, longer periods seem to
turn the insides to paste after PCing

this thread is actualy suited for another forum so I'm moving it...

Offlineinoculum_36
MushroomCultivator
Re: P. ostreatus on oats with hulls intact [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4377368 - 07/06/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using 2.5 L autoclavable bags with microporous filters, and am filling them with 1500 g of grain per bag. The oats were tested for moisture content, using a oven drying method on 10 g of grain, yielding a 8% moisture content. After checking my notes, I see that I adjusted the moisture I added in order to achieve a final moisture content of 38% by adding only 491 ml of H20. The addition of the moisture in the liquid mycelium mixture would have put the total moisture at 671 ml, which is 52%. It is very likely that you are quite right.

Do you have any suggestions for getting even moisture absorbtion in grain such as this? Is there an easy steam method?

Also, is the fermenting smell a good or bad sign? It is stronger than usual, but this is my first attempt with oats.

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
Re: P. ostreatus on oats with hulls intact [Re: inoculum_36]
    #4378429 - 07/07/05 01:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You can add vermiculite to absorb the excess moisture. Also the 200ml of liquid inoculum will cause pooling of liquid at the bottom of the bags if it can not be absorbed by the substrate. This will increase the risk of contams.

A fermenting smell is not good. P. ostreatus mycelium smells very pleasant, a bit like anise/liquorice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains