Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
So I finally did it.
    #4375198 - 07/06/05 09:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Last night after work, I went to a local gym near my house, and signed up.  It's pretty expensive, but this gym is awesome, and they provide personal training lessons until you're comfortably in a routine.  I know there are many threads similar to this one, and I've read many of them, and they're helpful.  I've never been into formal excersizing, and I'm not really sure what classes to take there to begin with.  My goal is to lose as much weight as I can in the next 5 and 1/2 months, to look good for my vacation to Antigua.  I plan on continuing to go to the gym, after my vacation, to stay healthy and get in great shape. 

I plan on going 3 or 4 times a week, in the morning before work.  I know I have to concentrate on cardio to burn calories, and I think I'm going to take 2 one hour spin classes a week.  I think I'd enjoy those.  Anyone have any advice, tips, experience with this? 

I have my first meeting with my personal trainer this coming Friday, at 6am, I'm a bit nervous, but excited to get started. 

Thanks in advance for any ideas  :heart:

*Liz

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTrav
Stranger

Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Liz]
    #4375212 - 07/06/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think you're doing pretty much what you should be, and you should be proud of yourself for taking those steps!  Sounds like your on your way to a good exercise routine.  :thumbup:  And don't be nervous, it will most likely end up being a lot of fun!

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4375308 - 07/06/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Not to mention that you'll feel worlds better after a good workout!  :laugh:

Offlinel33tmouse
Stranger
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4375319 - 07/06/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've never done spin classes... but have had a personal fitness trainer, and went and saw a nutritionist.... to figure out what i should eat while working/exercising so that i wouldn't be tired all the time from over work and my body not having enough nutrients, or eating and having my exercising not really benifit me because i was always burning off what i ate the day before... a good idea to talk to one of them, im sure the health club will have one on staff :smile:

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#4375399 - 07/06/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

awesome! way to go fallie. i wish i had the cash and the commitment to do that.

id love to lose weight but im just too lazy to excersize, although i do love playin sports so thats what ive been up to lately.

i hope it all works out great for ya!

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #4375585 - 07/06/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Great job!
Loosing weight is at least 70% nutrition, just as gaining muscle.
So huch much you'll lose weight will be determined by how much serious you are with what you eat.
I think you can lose pretty easily 20 lbs in 5 months!

Hit the gym HARD, cardio with high intensity and eating clean will get you where you want.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Gus]
    #4375605 - 07/06/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm trying to drink a lot less calories, as well as eat healthier.  I used to drink a lot of sugary stuff, and now I'm trying to cut way way back on soda, gatorade, and all that stuff, and stuck to water.  Lots of fruits and veggies and no fast food.  It's gonna be tough, while living with my boyfriend who can eat everything in site and weigh like 145.  :lol:

My mother walked consistently every morning and ate pretty healthy for like 4 months, and lost about 30 pounds.  I'm hoping to do at least that before my trip.  :sun:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4375785 - 07/06/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The best thing to do is to have someone to excercise with, as well. I'll bet your personal trainer might fill this role, but when I have a friend who enjoys running or biking regularly, its a lot easier to do it all the time.

I have a good friend who I used to go for pretty intense daily bike rides with, which probably got me into the best shape of my life. On the days when I didn't really feel like going out, and I probably would have just stayed home being lazy, he'd call me up and that would motivate me to go.

Now though, I only get to go for intense bike rides once or twice a week. Not due to lack of time or anything, just that all my friends are too lazy to want to excercise.

Getting in shape is the best thing in the world, though. When I'm getting more excercise, I tend to crave healthier foods, and start eating tons more (which might not be too helpful if you're trying to lose weight, but as you get into better shape, your metabolism will increase.) Also, your overall energy levels increase, and it tends to help alleviate depression.

Also, if it feels like it's killing you when you first start out, don't worry, it gets better. Every year when I start biking again, the first few weeks are rough, but later on I begin to be able to push through the painful parts, they even start to become desirable.

Good luck, and don't give up!

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Phluck]
    #4376064 - 07/06/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I realllly wish I had someone who lived close to me that I could excersize with.  That would help a ton.  So, I need to find other ways to motivate myself than with company.  I have all kinds of old pictures of myself from when I was in great shape that I'll look at, and the fact that I need to put on (and hopefully look good, in) a bathing suit in December, that will help too.  I'm hoping maybe I'll meet someone local who goes to the same gym early in the morning, maybe I can make them work out with me.  :tongue:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4378087 - 07/06/05 11:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

As already stated, diet is very important if you wish to lose bodyfat. Notice I said bodyfat and not weight. Many people actually gain weight when they start going to the gym, but it is in the form of lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat in comparison to size so you can gain weight in the form of muscle while still losing bodyfat.

Tips for losing fat:

-Do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This is supposed to allow you to begin burning fat right away because your body has already depleted most of your glycogen stores throughout the night.

-Lift weights. Every pound of muscle mass you add to your body will burn an additional 50 calories per day just by being there. Don't be afraid of getting "too muscular." Women lack the testosterone to put on a large amount of muscle mass naturally.

-Clean up your diet. Try to consume good carbs such as oatmeal. Eat whole grain bread instead of white bread. Try to keep simple sugars to a minimum. Don't feel bad if you cheat once in a while, even professional bodybuilders do sometimes.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4379023 - 07/07/05 07:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That actually conflict with something else I've heard.  I was told that if I don't eat something before working out, I'll burn fat, but muscle as well, so I was supposed to eat something before i go to the gym.    :confused:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4379098 - 07/07/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ifallapart said:
That actually conflict with something else I've heard.  I was told that if I don't eat something before working out, I'll burn fat, but muscle as well, so I was supposed to eat something before i go to the gym.    :confused:

You are correct, actually.  Personally I would never do cardio on an empty stomach because my main goal is adding muscle mass.  You break down muscle no matter what you do.  Every time you go to sleep your muscles break down from the overnight fasting.  Going to the gym and lifting weights causes your muscles to break down, and this catabolism even continues after you leave the gym.  The goal is to keep your body in a state of anabolism as much as possible.  A shake after the gym mixed with protein and carbs (in the form of dextrose or maltodextrin) helps to turn your body from a state of catabolism to anabolism in a shorter amount of time.  Eating more meals during the day is also beneficial to muscle gain and fat loss.  Any time your body believes it is not getting sufficient calories it will begin to break down muscle mass.  Starving yourself will only lead to a slower metabolism and increased fat storage, your bodies defense against insufficient calorie intake.  I'll cut myself off here before I ramble on for the next hour.. :rolleyes:

The point is that you need to determine what your main goal is.  If your main goal is fat loss then cardio on an empty stomach can help you out a great deal.  Muscle loss is not a major issue.  I even know of some men who run on an empty stomach and they swear by it.

--------------------

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4379133 - 07/07/05 08:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the posts, you sound like you really know what you're talking about :smile:

My main goal is to lose weight, fairly quickly, by December.  My goal, along with that, is to keep the weight off, and continue to lose weight with proper diet and exercize, after my vacation.  I want to be healthy and fit long term, not just to look decent in a bathing suit for a few weeks.  That being said, I've already started making some crucial changes to my diet.  No more bagels or muffins at dunkin donuts in the morning.  Instead I eat a banana and some oatmeal, and drink some water.  And instead of sugar in my coffee, I get splenda.  It's much better for you.  Also, for lunch I usually order out with people in my office.  I've been getting salads with grilled chicken on them instead of something fattier.  I hope these changes pay off.  My appointment is at 6am (god that's early) tomorrow morning with a female trainer at my gym.  I plan on setting a work out routine with her, telling her what days I can come in, and asking her advice on what classes to take, how long to do cardio/weight training for, what wouldbest work for me and my body type. 

Any other tips on what to eat, what not to eat?  It's been hard for me to lay off the sugary drinks and stick with water.  That's been tough, since I'm a gatorade addict.  But I'll have that once in a while, as a treat, instead of having it all the time.  And no more soda  :tongue:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4379185 - 07/07/05 09:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Good for you girl...as soon as I get enough money I'm doing the same thing.  :thumbup:

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: MOTH]
    #4379202 - 07/07/05 09:28 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah gyms are PRICEY.  Their normal fee, just to join, is $600.  I only had to pay $250.  But that's still a lot of money :frown:

The goo dthing is though, most places make you sign up for like a year contract, this is month to month and I can cancel whenever I want to.  :thumbup:

I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow, but I know after a few weeks or so, once I get into the habit, and have a set routine, I'll like it.  :grin:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4380231 - 07/07/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you are hiring a personal trainer I would expect them to give you something of a diet program. One main point that I want to reinforce is that you should eat many small meals throughout the day as opposed to the 3 large meals an average person would consume. Any good personal trainer will tell you the same. If you constantly supply your body with some form of calories it will increase your base metabolism and thereby reduce fat storage. You are telling your body that it will always have food(energy) so there is no need for it to save some for later(fat). My daily diet is pretty much the same thing every day. It sounds boring but it pays off.

Oatmeal mixed with non fat yogurt and ground flax seed.

Protein shake mixed with 1/2% milk.

Natural peanut butter on whole grain bread.
-(This is an easy meal that doesn't need to be refrigerated. Natural peanut butter is much healthier because it has no sugar or hydrogenated oils)

An apple and a bottle of water mixed with maltodextrin (carbs)
-This is my pre-workout "meal".

A whey protein shake mixed with water and maltodextrin.
-Post workout it is good to consume some carbs to replenish your glycogen stores. They get depleted during intense exercise.

Boiled chicken breast and some form of carb, usually egg noodles or long grain rice. Beans are also good but a pain to cook.

Another protein shake or two in the mean time.

Some broccoli raw, no ranch dip or anything.

A few scrambled eggs before bed and some cottage cheese.
-Usually four egg whites and two yolks. If your goal is to lose weight you may not want to eat right before bed. Both of my parents are ectomorphs(skinny) so I really need to eat constantly to put on muscle.

I try to keep healthy snacks around. Whenever I am hungry and it isn't time for one of my meals I will grab a hand full of cashews or some fruit.

--------------------

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4380417 - 07/07/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Don't go and lose too much weight.
Big girls are sexy.

--------------------

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Dreamer987]
    #4380506 - 07/07/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

I'm not so much looking to be sexy...I just want to be healthier.

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4380606 - 07/07/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ifallapart,

I think the most important thing for you to remember is that you must keep going. Don't burn the weight off and decide to take a break. This is your new lifestyle. Cherish being healthy.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4380736 - 07/07/05 05:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

exercise is a small part which will help immensely with the loss...however diet, calorics intake are much more important. you have to swear off the garbage. fast food, soda, fried food, chips, candy. learn to read nutriotion labels on food, read up on healthy snacks. i eat very healthy its not hard

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates