Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE
    #4371874 - 07/05/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/...-home-headlines
Seems to me like Blair bent Bush over his knee and spanked the truth into him.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Edited by 1stimer (07/05/05 03:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: 1stimer]
    #4371885 - 07/05/05 12:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

that link doesn't work

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: niteowl]
    #4371937 - 07/05/05 12:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/03/g8.bush.ap/index.html

Bush wants to shift global warming debate

Sunday, July 3, 2005; Posted: 11:24 p.m. EDT (03:24 GMT)

Bush: "You can grow your economy and at the same time do a better job of harnessing greenhouse gases."

Summit
International Trade

Manage Alerts | What Is This? LONDON, England (AP) -- Ahead of this week's G8 summit, President Bush says he wants to shift debate on global warming away from limits on greenhouse gas emissions to new technology that would reduce environmental harm without restricting energy use.

In an interview with British journalist Trevor McDonald to be broadcast on ITV television Monday, Bush repeated his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change and said the United States would not sign it or any similar deals limiting gas emissions.

"I think you can grow your economy and at the same time do a better job of harnessing greenhouse gases," Bush said. "That's exactly what I intend to talk to our partners about."

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who hosts the three-day summit of major industrial powers that begins Wednesday in Scotland, plans to make action on global warming a top focus along with tackling poverty in Africa.

Bush spoke of his administration's investment of $20 billion (16.55 billion euros) in developing hydrogen-powered vehicles, zero-emission power stations and other technology.

The Bush administration opposes the 1997 Kyoto treaty because officials believe it would raise energy prices and cost 5 million U.S. jobs.

"My hope is -- and I think the hope of Tony Blair is -- to move beyond the Kyoto debate and to collaborate on new technologies that will enable the United States and other countries to diversify away from fossil fuels so that the air will be cleaner and that we have the economic and national security that comes from less dependence on foreign sources of oil," Bush said.

Blair, who has described global warming as "probably the most serious threat we face" wants an agreement among G8 leaders on the scientific threat posed by global warming and the urgent need for action.

He also wants greater research in so-called green technology, and to draw emerging economies such as China, India, Brazil and Mexico into the debate.

Prospects of agreement when the leaders of the United States, Russia, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and Japan join Blair in Gleneagles, Scotland, remain uncertain.

Bush described climate change as "a significant, long-term issue that we've got to deal with" and acknowledged that human activity is "to some extent" to blame.

Bush also made it clear that he was not ready to slash the farm subsidies that critics say distort global trade and make it difficult for African economies to compete unless the European Union was also prepared to scrap its Common Agricultural Policy.

"We've got agricultural subsidies, not nearly to the extent that our friends in the EU have," he said. "... The position of the U.S. government is, we're willing to do so and we will do so with our fine friends in the European Union."

In the interview, Bush was also asked if he would make a special effort to support Blair at the summit in return for the British leader's backing for the war in Iraq.

"I really don't view our relationship as one of quid pro quo," Bush replied. "Tony Blair made decisions on what he thought was best for keeping the peace and winning the war on terror, as I did. So I go to the G8 not really trying to make him look bad or good, but I go to the G8 with an agenda that I think is best for our country."

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4371945 - 07/05/05 12:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"PRESIDENT Bush repeated his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change and said the United States would not sign it or any similar deals limiting gas emissions. "

"If the Global Taxation crowd thinks they have this President fooled ... "

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4372065 - 07/05/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

> and spanked the truth into him.

What truth would this be? There is yet no proof that the climate changes are caused by man... this isn't saying that man hasn't caused the changes, but from a scientific perspective, causality between the two is pure conjecture at this time.

> Bush repeated his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change and said the United States would not sign it or any similar deals limiting gas emissions

On the surface, I thought we (the US) were fools for not signing on... but that was before I read what the commitments we would make compared to the commitments that other countries would make... and realized that Bush was right not to sign it. Why should some countries suffer to stem their pollution output while other countries are allowed to spew away as before. The agreement must be worldwide and give everybody equal responsibility in reducing emissions rather than targeting some countries and forgiving others.

I would love to see a Kyoto like agreement between all the major countries... but one that works, that is fair, that treats all the countries equally regardless of the economic impact that curbing pollution output will create.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: Seuss]
    #4372137 - 07/05/05 02:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
What truth would this be?  There is yet no proof that the climate changes are caused by man... this isn't saying that man hasn't caused the changes, but from a scientific perspective, causality between the two is pure conjecture at this time.

:thumbup:

And honestly, how much weight does Bush admitting the climate change is caused by man carry, anyways? He is no scientist.

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
    #4372180 - 07/05/05 02:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"Ahead of this week's G8 summit, President Bush says he wants to shift debate on global warming away from limits on greenhouse gas emissions to new technology that would reduce environmental harm without restricting energy use."

While I do understand and support the rejection of the Kyoto protocols for this country at least, the way I see it, if we start limiting greenhouse gas emissions, won't that push the need for the new technology he speaks of as a result? Seems like he's just avoiding the issue. Sort of a "Cover your eyes from reality, turn the attention to far into the future, and forget the current problem as it gets bigger every day." attitude.

"My hope is -- and I think the hope of Tony Blair is -- to move beyond the Kyoto debate and to collaborate on new technologies that will enable the United States and other countries to diversify away from fossil fuels so that the air will be cleaner and that we have the economic and national security that comes from less dependence on foreign sources of oil," Bush said."

Once again, a point to be made that with Bush, Economics always comes before Environmental issues (in some senses it should, but not his).

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: Redstorm]
    #4372250 - 07/05/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
And honestly, how much weight does Bush admitting the climate change is caused by man carry, anyways? He is no scientist.

But many good Christians do listen to this man.
If there were any (of these people) who didnt believe, that we are effecting our environment in a negative way....
they do now....

JUST because GWB said so.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: kake]
    #4372370 - 07/05/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

...that would reduce environmental harm without restricting energy use.

this is what makes me think that nothing has changed...

all arguments regarding causality and treaty equality aside,
this president still doesn't give a fuck about cutting down on
the amount of value we build for his shares.

the problem is BOTH consumption (use) AND cleanliness.

this is a token sway in the wind that won't make any difference
in this man's policies.

he's still mortgaging national forests and clearing the way
for his largest donors to lob off the tops of mountains and
poison entire river valleys for the sake of cheaper ore mining.

wtf.

Edited by afoaf (07/05/05 06:26 PM)

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: afoaf]
    #4372707 - 07/05/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The last ice age was only an 8 degree decrease in temperature. Mankind and our activities have already added an entire degree to the warming of the planet. And If "I can be blunt," Bush is by far one of the worst presidents and a god damn idiot.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Edited by newmodel (07/05/05 05:51 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: newmodel]
    #4372732 - 07/05/05 05:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

today it was 107? F.

maybe we could use a little ice age.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4372734 - 07/05/05 05:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

always my favorite position

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: Gijith]
    #4372765 - 07/05/05 06:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don;t mean to sound ignorant by stating that Bush is an awful president, in my opinion of coarse. It's just that in the last few days I have been flooded with news and articles of all the wonderful :smile: and exceptionally awesome [sarcasm] changes that Bush has made and wants to make. There must be a revolution in the next 50-100..maybe 300 years. Freedom; though maybe an illusion but a GREAT one, cannot be so blatantly and openly taken away without a force building up and eventually reacting.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: newmodel]
    #4372810 - 07/05/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

global warming is a hoax

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4372964 - 07/05/05 07:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

OK Gijith

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050502/pf/050502-8_pf.html

Clear skies end global dimming

Quirin Schiermeier

Earth's air is cleaner, but this may worsen the greenhouse effect.

Hello sunshine: cleaner air could make the world warmer.

Our planet's air has cleared up in the past decade or two, allowing more sunshine to reach the ground, say two studies in Science this week.

Reductions in industrial emissions in many countries, along with the use of particulate filters for car exhausts and smoke stacks, seem to have reduced the amount of dirt in the atmosphere and made the sky more transparent.

That sounds like very good news. But the researchers say that more solar energy arriving on the ground will also make the surface warmer, and this may add to the problems of global warming. More sunlight will also have knock-on effects on cloud cover, winds, rainfall and air temperature that are difficult to predict.

The results suggest that a downward trend in the amount of sunlight reaching the surface, which has been observed since measurements began in the late 1950s, is now over.

The researchers argue that this trend, commonly called 'global dimming', reversed more than a decade ago, probably following the collapse of communist economies and the consequent decrease in industrial pollutants.

The widespread brightening has remained unnoticed until now simply because there wasn't enough data for a statistically significant analysis, says Martin Wild, an atmospheric scientist at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich and an author on one of the reports.

Sunny days

Wild and his team looked at data on surface sunshine levels from hundreds of devices around the planet. They found that since the 1980s there has been a transition from decreasing to increasing solar radiation nearly everywhere, except in heavily polluted areas such as India and at scattered sites in Australia, Africa, and South America1.

A second study, led by Rachel Pinker from the University of Maryland, College Park, found a similar trend by looking at satellite data, although their research suggests the extent of the brightening is smaller2. Unlike ground stations, satellites can sample the whole planet, including the oceans. However, satellite data are difficult to calibrate, and so are considered less accurate than measurements from the ground.

Surprisingly, Wild's study shows a brightening trend in China, despite the fact that there is a booming, fossil-fuel-intensive industry in that country. Wild says he can only speculate that the use of clean-air technologies in China might be more widespread and efficient than has been thought.

In contrast, India's vast brown clouds of smog, which result from wildfires and the use of fossil fuels, have reduced the sunlight reaching the ground.

Just warming up

Researchers will now focus on working out the long-term effects of clearer air. One thing they do know is that black particulate matter in the air has been contributing a cooling effect to the ground. "It is clear that the greenhouse effect has been partly masked in the past by air pollution," says Andreas Macke, a meteorologist at the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences in Kiel, Germany.

Uncertainties remain part of the game because scientists have only a limited ability to track cloud cover and particulates, says Macke. Increased cooperation in programmes such as the NASA-led International Satellite Cloud Climatology Project should help to close the gaps in our knowledge of how dirty air affects climate, he says.

I remember "the Earth, is getting colder" BS.
..dirtier air..BS.
..acid rain..BS.
..save the Whales..BS.
..."the Earth, is getting warmer" BS.
...now its getting colder and warmer ...BS

So Gijith............

BAN CLEAN AIR.. Before it's too late!

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4373017 - 07/05/05 07:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

so if nature were to run it's course it would die because
it's so damn clean?

or is the assumption that unchecked fires would make
up for the pollution enough to properly dim the skies
and save the planet from certain destruction?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4373018 - 07/05/05 07:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, that's exactly what this article is encouraging! :rolleyes:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflineBCBudJohn
Foolhardy

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
    #4373122 - 07/05/05 08:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Kyoto was very badly flawed... i'm glad that bush has the mental capacity to recognise the scientific world periodically,. Hopefully this will bring real change about.

--------------------
Peace
John

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: baraka]
    #4373169 - 07/05/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

baraka said:
global warming is a hoax

Why do you say its a hoax?

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: BUSH ADMITS CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE [Re: 1stimer]
    #4373668 - 07/05/05 10:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I just want to know what percentage of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide is manmade, and how much is natural.

Are we talking about 10%, or .1%?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

General Interest >> Political Discussion