Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Web visits put man in jail
    #4369153 - 07/04/05 10:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/obeid29e_20050629.htm

Jordanian is a threat to national security, FBI says

June 29, 2005

BY DAVID ASHENFELTER
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Mohammad Radwan Obeid is a threat to national security because he surfed terrorist Web sites and visited terrorist chat rooms, the FBI claims.

The 33-year-old Jordanian, who came to the United States with his American wife in 2001 and worked at a grocery store in Dayton, Ohio, before his arrest in March on immigration charges, says he was only gathering grist for a book about terrorism and world religions.

He said he volunteered to work for the FBI, but was rejected.

But a federal immigration judge in Detroit last week ordered Obeid jailed pending the outcome of charges that he entered the United States through marriage fraud. He also is being investigated by a federal grand jury.

"When taken altogether, the evidence establishes respondent presents a substantial risk to the national security of the United States," Immigration Judge Robert Newberry said in a June 22 decision denying Obeid's request to be released on bond. He is being held in the Monroe County Jail.

Newberry agreed with the FBI that Obeid's claims of writing a book, his recent conversion to the Jehovah's Witnesses and other activities often are used by terrorists to avoid arrest and deportation.

Obeid's fiancee said Tuesday that the FBI is wrong about him.

"There's no way he could be a terrorist," said Misty Iddings, a 30-year-old nurse's aide of Piqua, Ohio. "He wouldn't hurt anybody. He's a very nice person. He's kind and friendly."

Obeid came to the United States in February 2001 as a conditional resident after marrying a Kansas City woman in Jordan, court papers said. Five months after they arrived, their marriage was annulled.

His lawyer, Najad Mehanna of Dearborn Heights, said her family wouldn't accept him because he was Muslim.

Afterward, Mehanna said, Obeid moved to the Dayton area, worked as a cashier at gas stations and convenience stores, and remarried. But the couple split up around May 2003 and he eventually met and moved in with Iddings.

In mid-2004, he became a Jehovah's Witness, decided to write a book about terrorism, and began surfing terrorism sites on the Internet.

Mehanna said Obeid was stunned by what he found on those sites and called the CIA and FBI. He said they didn't take him seriously.

On March 28, agents searched his home and on April 20, arrested him for immigration fraud.

The government has presented secret evidence at his deportation hearings to show that he is a threat to national security.

Obeid's lawyer said he probably would appeal the denial of bond. He also has requested asylum on grounds that Obeid would be persecuted if returned to Jordan because of the FBI's terrorism claims and his new faith.

But the lawyer concedes that Obeid is fighting a difficult battle, which resumes Sept. 19 in Detroit immigration court.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if I belive this guys story about writting a book.

I've heard that 28 thousand people have been though Guantamo Bay.

This is JUST like the Japanese Americans in WW2.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4369161 - 07/04/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

He was arrested for breaking immigration laws. He is being held without bail. If he is convicted of breaking immigration laws, he'll be deported. What's the big deal? This has no parallel whatsoever with the WWII internment camps -- it's a straightforward immigration case.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: Phred]
    #4369197 - 07/04/05 11:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sure if he was from Poland they would be treating him in the same manner.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #4369199 - 07/04/05 11:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i wonder why they had to throw in the "terrorism" aspect with it though, involving the websites...

i guess there needs to be a spin on everything to get ratings. damned journalists.

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4369211 - 07/04/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anisotropic said:
But a federal immigration judge in Detroit last week ordered Obeid jailed pending the outcome of charges that he entered the United States through marriage fraud. He also is being investigated by a federal grand jury.

Someone is deliberately misusing the word "but" here. It's not a "but" situation, the events aren't connected at all. The guy is being investigated, and a judge apparently believes that he commited fraud in his marriage for immigration purposes.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
    #4369362 - 07/04/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
He was arrested for breaking immigration laws.

Immigration problems are usually handled by the INS not the FBI. If he was Polish, he wouldn't have been bothered. Even though I don't agree with the profiling going on with government agencies lately, I think it may be a necessary evil in the times we live in. However unfortunate that sounds.

Edited by FooMan (07/04/05 12:24 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: FooMan]
    #4369744 - 07/04/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Tough. Get your fucking ass out. That is all. End of conversation.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4370087 - 07/04/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think you completely understood me on that, but you wouldn't be saying that if it was you. End of conversation.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4371385 - 07/05/05 04:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> This is JUST like the Japanese Americans in WW2.

Not even close to anything like the Japanese Americans during WWII. One suspected illegal alien being detained is not even close to all of Islamic American citizens being rounded up and moved to remote concentration camps.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: Seuss]
    #4371649 - 07/05/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Its just like the japanese Americans in WW2 in that most Americans are like, well he is middle eastern, so it's okay.

There have been thousands of people going though Guantanamo Bay. And let me remind you that this guy could be held indefinitely, withount a trial because they have already labeld him a ' Terrorist'

I just think they know how to keep it from the public eye better, and are keeping it on a smaller, more targeted scale.

Edited by Anisotropic (07/05/05 08:53 AM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4371918 - 07/05/05 10:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
He was arrested for breaking immigration laws. He is being held without bail. If he is convicted of breaking immigration laws, he'll be deported. What's the big deal? -- it's a straightforward immigration case.

That's assuming that they are only holding him for breaking immigration laws......which I highly doubt.

They are just using the immigration laws as the only tool they have against him.

If they are so concerned about these immigration laws being broken. Why are Mexicans not being targeted for this same immigration law?. They are doing this very crime left and right (been doing this crime for YEARS), yet no one is trying to stop them.

Its because they really don't care how immigrants get here.

He was target because he was from the Middle East and he was surfing terrorist web sites.

Not because he broke any immigration laws.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: niteowl]
    #4372102 - 07/05/05 11:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Its just like the japanese Americans in WW2 in that most Americans are like, well he is middle eastern, so it's okay.

I will agree with you on the "he is middle eastern, so it is ok" attitude, but the numbers involved currently are nowhere near the magnitude of japanese-americans lives disrupted during WWII... which leads to my other argument... there is a big difference when the US ignores the constitution, as happened during WWII, against their own citizens and when the US doesn't apply the constitution, as is happening now, against foriegners... at least in my mind. I am not claiming that I agree with what is happening now; I don't, but it is nowhere near as evil as what happened during WWII... at least in my mind.

> He was target because he was from the Middle East and he was surfing terrorist web sites.

This could be the case... but, he could actually be a terrorist as well... or, this could actually be an immigration case and somebody is raising a big stink trying to make it out to be more than it is. We don't really know, so we are simply guessing. I'm reminded of the president that cried 9/11 one too many times and lost the trust of the nation... even when something real came along, the people tended to doubt the intentions of the president because of his habit of misleading the public. I honestly don't know what to think anymore...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4372230 - 07/05/05 12:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I really don't see how this could be an immigration issue.

The FBI said...
Quote:

Mohammad Radwan Obeid is a threat to national security because he surfed terrorist Web sites and visited terrorist chat rooms.

and.....
Quote:

The government has presented secret evidence at his deportation hearings to show that he is a threat to national security

This is far from a simple immigration issue IMO.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4372379 - 07/05/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The government has presented secret evidence at his deportation hearings to show that he is a threat to national security.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Web visits put man in jail [Re: niteowl]
    #4372471 - 07/05/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Niteowl writes:

Quote:

That's assuming that they are only holding him for breaking immigration laws......which I highly doubt.

He has been charged with breaking immigration laws. He will be tried for breaking immigration laws.

Quote:

They are just using the immigration laws as the only tool they have against him.

If the article is accurate in the information it presents, he broke US immigration laws.

Quote:

Why are Mexicans not being targeted for this same immigration law?

They are. Mexicans get tried and deported all the time. But there's a lot more Mexican illegal immigrants than Jordanian illegal immigrants.

Quote:

Its because they really don't care how immigrants get here.

What matters isn't how they got into the US, what matters is whether or not they meet the requirements for staying in the US.

Quote:

He was target because he was from the Middle East and he was surfing terrorist web sites.

You don't know that, and the article -- slanted as it is -- is careful not to say that. He is being denied bail because investigators believe he is a flight risk due to activities he was performing.

As for the secret evidence business, you are of course aware that the proceedings of Grand Juries are secret.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4373229 - 07/05/05 06:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, he certainly might be one, I don't really know if I buy the writing a book thing. That sounds a little off, like an after thought..

If so, I really don't have much problem with it, fucking deport him. But in the end I guess most of us will never really know.

My wife, during her childhood hung out with one of her father's friends. Apparently he edited video for CIA meetings, so he was privy to alot of anti-terrorist stuff. He said there where TUNS of half baked plans to bomb shit that got caught all the time.

It really is believable that he had some ill intention towards America... I was more posting the article because it seems they had his Internet records before the immigration shit.

I wonder how much of the Internet they watch in this manner, and, is the shroomery flaged?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale