Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemushboyS
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Loc: mushland
1st serious attempt
    #4370684 - 07/05/05 01:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, I've been reading up on this website for a few years now and finally have got my own mycological experimentation underway. I thought I'd share the results thusfar. Didn't take any pics of the cakes growing unfortunatly; I'll get some up of them in the terrarium soon though.

Up to this point:

6/04/05: Whipped up a bath of standard PF brownrice substrate with extremely fine vermiculate. Put in 6 1/2 pint jars, pressure cooked, and allowed to cool overnight.

6/05/05: After properly sterilizing, spores were injected at each injection point, with each jar receiving approx. 2cc of spore solution. Strain used: Blue Meanies. Jars placed in a lightproof cardboard box in a ventilated plastic trunk with a plant growlight at the othe end of the trunk to heat the incubation chamber. A themomete is in the box to assure proper temperature; temperature in the box during incubation never fell below 77 and never rose above 85. Didn't have a humidity guage at the time, but I'd guess it was constantly around 70-80% inside the trunk?

6/9/05: First signs of mycellium growth.

6/15/05: All jars beginning to colonize heavily. The mycellium is growing outwards in disks from the points mycellium was first seen in a very organized way. Only one of the 6 jars is going slow (forgot to shake the needle until the second jar was inoculated--prolly this one)

6/25/05: 5 jars at 70-85%, 1 jar about 10%.

7/01/05: 5 jars 85-95% colonizd, with the one slow jar around 20%. A terrarium is constructed:
$10 all glass terrarium, 28-14-18in.
$25 lid w/light fixture
$10 two pack humidity/temp guages that can be stuck on the terrarium walls inside
------
The birthing, casing and terrarium setup are done in a bathroom sterilized with tons of bleach and hydrogen peroxide. The jars are each in turn birthed into clean plastic ziplock bags and cut up & broken into a reasonable number of chunks, and put into clean meatloaf style baking tins, each about 10-4-3in. 3 tins were given 1 jar of substrate each, one tin was given 2 jars worth of substrate. A standard 60/40 cc/verm casing mix is whipped up and microwaved sterilized and put into the tins. Each tin is covered by a layer of clear plastic wrap. Next the terrarium was filled with about 2 inches of perlite and 1/4 inch water. Casings are placed in terrarium, and the terrarium put on a table covered in dark t-shirts to keep out any light.

7/04/05: As I type the mycellium is growing through the casing layer. The double cake casing is obviously going the fastest; I can see it poking out of 2 of the others and the last one mycellium can faintly be seen starting to rise up through the substrate. Since the birthing, the terrarium has remained at about 85 degrees and 90% humidity.

Tomorow I'll get the digi cam and take some pics of the setup and progress of the casings.
One thing I was curious though......since outdoor patches don't really have the contamination problems of indoor cuz of free air flow, UV radiation etc., would simply putting a casing outside grow a crop without contamination, or will it have to be in the ground? (I'm wondering because I don't have a place outdoors to do a patch but I do have some shallow window wells I could fit a couple fat casings in.

Thx shroomery for all the excellent information--in a week or two I'll have pics to show the fruits that knowledge has allowed to come into creation.

Peace,

Edited by Magash (07/05/05 01:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st serious attempt [Re: mushboy]
    #4370811 - 07/05/05 01:48 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds good so far

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation