Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
i have a jar of shitake mycellium right now that was doing spledidly and colonizing fast, but 2 days ago i noticed some green mold on the top. it hasnt grown at all since i first saw it, and the mycellium just keeps on growing around it. here are some pics
so what exactly does this mold mean? Does mycellium have a chance of fighting it off? When it's fully colonized would I be able to birth and fruit it alright? will it poison the fruits? should i just throw the jar out? thanks for your input everyone as this is my first contam.
Well, it appears that your image quality isnt that great, which makes it hard to see how much there is. But in the last pic, you can see it. At that stage, i do believe that the mold has already sporulated, or is in the stage of releasing spores. Best bet... For Soooo many reasons, toss it, and try again
This happened to me a lot in the beginning, and I realized, that this wasnt about trying to save the jars, but trying to create the pure mushroom enviornment. I turned from mad, to driven to try and make a jar without any contamination.
Trying to deal with the infection may lessen your chances of a successful batch.
With some mold's, dangerous chemicals are released within the mycelium network, which means that these toxins arent just in a visible spectre of where the infected area is at.