Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

Ph adjusting Peat
    #4369649 - 07/04/05 04:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I mixed 10:10:1 Peat /vermiculite/oyster shell flour, and I got trich pretty quick, Should I add More Oyster shell flour, or should I add more oyster shell flour AND something like limestone flour/ Hydrated lime. This is my first time working with peat.

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph adjusting Peat [Re: themills]
    #4369717 - 07/04/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yes hydrated lime at 1tsp. per quart will have immediate affects and compliment the oystershell flour or limestone flour. I recommend mixing the hydrated lime in the water your going to use to moisten the casing mixture first this will make for a much more precise distribution of the hydrated lime. Don't forget to either sterilize or pasturize the casing mix before use or you will have trich problems for sure. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblethemills

Re: Ph adjusting Peat [Re: hyphae]
    #4369757 - 07/04/05 05:24 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So 1/4 tsp of hydrated lime per cup of peat based substrate in combination with my original 10:10:1 ratio of peat/verm/oyster flour should give me a an immediate buffer, as well as long term, correct?

Was also considering adding a small amount of CRUSHED rather than ground oyster shell, solely for texture.

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph adjusting Peat [Re: themills]
    #4370010 - 07/04/05 07:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Correct. As far as your 50/50+ it should have the perfect texture as long as you are not using fine verm which would suffocate your microclimate. I always pre-moisten my 50/50's before use, remember you don't need massive mountains and valleys, this is a microclimate we are using meaning minute mountains and valleys. Also as important remember multiple light waterings in order not to close off the surface which can happen when using too much force or too heavy a misting, this is called "panning the surface" (very bad). Don't forget to hydrated lime water works the best (good tip to remember). :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblethemills

Re: Ph adjusting Peat [Re: hyphae]
    #4370088 - 07/04/05 07:58 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you, Very helpful! :stoned:

--------------------
-Enrico Fermi

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation