Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedubruka
thinker
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
field and condition question
    #4369239 - 07/04/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

so i went on a road trip last night to a few fields i've been eyeing up. one of the fields was pretty barren. i found maybe 5 mecellium growing on a few patties, but otherwise it was dry. so we make our way to a huge field (probably over 100 acres), with what seemed like a million cows in it. we find mecellium on a good amount of the fresher patties, and some on the older ones too. we found one full size mushroom which ended up being a cube. but otherwise there were no fully grown shrooms. to give you a little background I was in fort myers, FL. which is all the way in the southwest corner of florida.

now, i just can't seem to percieve why i found so much small growth in a field but no major growth. my obvious question was if this field was already picked. but honestly this field was huge so i can't believe that. the major concern i had was how much rain we've had recently. the field was almost swamp area, some areas have 3-6 inches of stagnant water. what major threat does this have to growth? when should be an optimal time to return to the field? how soon should the mycellium grow to a more mature nature?

any comments or reply would be greatly appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: field and condition question [Re: dubruka]
    #4369359 - 07/04/05 02:01 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

sounds like you were hunting an area that was recently flooded, because you mentioned "swampy"

you need to find the parts of the field that havent been flooded. check all areas of the field and hopefully find a sweet spot.

Offlinedubruka
thinker
Re: field and condition question [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4369382 - 07/04/05 02:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yea the field seemed to have been flooded due to all the rain recently.... we checked so much of the field and couldn't find anything substantial. if we went back when the field was drier would we have better chances of more grown mushrooms?

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
I've got nothing
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4369383 - 07/04/05 02:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I love sweet spots :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth
    #4369392 - 07/04/05 02:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Patience, Daniel San. It's kind of hit or miss with shroom hunting. With all the rain you have been getting, it should be a good time to search. I usually go out between 12-30 hours after a good, heavy rain. Even then you may be lucky to even find 1 sometimes. I went to Peace River in Arcadia recently. I have found tons of shrooms in the past there. This time I only found 2 after going through at least 10 different fields and checking every nook and cranny. You should get started on the PF Tek and grow some of your own. If you want, you can even make your own outdoor patch with poo and straw mixed with your crumbled cakes. Put it in one of the fields your're scoping out and then you will be able to come back each season and know exactly where they'll be growing. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4369419 - 07/04/05 02:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

usually when the cow turds are submerged in water for more than a day the mycelium "drowns" and dies. leaving behind turds that wont produce mushrooms.

sometimes it's tricky to find the right spot during the rainy season. the shrooms usually hang out underneath the trees in the summertime.

Offlinedubruka
thinker
    #4369445 - 07/04/05 02:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the reply's, greatly appreciated.

now, if i can see the mycellium growing to the point where they're caps are maybe 1/2 an inch in size and the stems are just poking out out of the patty, are they dead? they seemed to be pretty alive to me, just small and not grown to its full potential yet. The one decent sized mushroom we did find was in a drier spot where we found a lot more mycellium than in most places....

i'm planning on growing, especially since i found one good cube in the field, i'm preparing all that, but i enjoy going to fields and trails and searching for any kind of mycology in nature...

i'm planning on checking back on the field every night to see the growth, thanks!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification