Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineshaunoc1
Stranger
Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs
    #4365668 - 07/03/05 08:26 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey -
I've taken acid twice but the last trip was nasty so I was nervous about going back there. But since then I've had a small dose of hawaiian shrooms in Amsterdam and also some San Pedro - and I must say I really prefer the natural stuff.

It seems to be a much more physical, happy feeling, and personally I've not yet felt that anything could really go wrong - a friend aptly described it as "an extension of your own happiness". As Terence McKenna said, LSD is a very introspective drug that forces a magnifying glass on your consciousness. Mushrooms (and cacti, dmt etc) on the other hand, show you things, like a cosmic cinema. I would tend to agree with that (so far, anyway) and I'm thrilled that the natural stuff seems to be a much nicer trip, since I don't think I'll be doing acid again anytime soon.

Anyway at the moment, I have a 10g bag of philosopher's stones truffles in the fridge which I'll be taking someday soon - - Does anyone have any other thoughts or advice regarding the experiental difference between natural and man-made drugs?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: shaunoc1]
    #4365677 - 07/03/05 08:37 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

the difference is contrived. at the end of the day, natural and man-made drugs are the same thing - chemicals. the reason you like mescaline and psilocybin better than LSD is just that - you like mescaline and psilocybin better than LSD. its not because mescaline and psilocybin are natural.

to further illustrate this, synthetic psilocybin gives an experience no different to that of natural psilocybin.

there is also the mindset factor - the fact that you know psilocybin and mescaline are natural will affect the experience that you have. get rid of the mental barrier between the natural and the man-made, and this mindset factor will be dissolved.

personally, i find psilocybin a much more introspective drug than LSD. acid for me is energetic; i can do almost anything on acid. mushrooms make me lie down and think. i can lie down and think on acid too, but i wouldn't want to, for example, go to a gig on shrooms.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: alsey]
    #4365683 - 07/03/05 08:45 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i prefer LSD...but everything he^ said was dead on....and very true.....

:sun:

--------------------

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4365720 - 07/03/05 09:14 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with you. No difference because they are man-made.

Offlineshaunoc1
Stranger
    #4365731 - 07/03/05 09:30 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

That's very interesting; I remember a Robert Anton Wilson lecture in which he said that anything you ingest into your body has an effect on your brain: The chemicals from mashed potatoes are just as present in your brain as those from LSD, it's just that the neurons react differently to the acid chemicals. So, quite literally, you are what you eat.

With regard to the mindset factor, you're absolutely correct - but the fact that I wouldn't do acid again is not just because I now consider it an unimportant "synthetic" drug (my first acid trip was a incredible, life-changing experience) - it's because I had a really bad trip the last time, and though I now have a good idea as to why it went wrong, I don't want to risk going back there in the near future.

So yes, maybe I'm categorizing the experiences too quickly, but at the moment, these terms seem to fit my experience accurately(or to paraphrase Anton Wilson again, the map fits the territory). The shroom & cacti experience seems "natural" to me; i.e, it's a great word to describe the feeling.

The fact that these specific chemicals also happen occur naturally is, in scientific terms, just a coincidence. But in spiritual and psychedelic terms it's a fascinating theme and one that, to me at least, invites exploration.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #4365742 - 07/03/05 09:34 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

We all need to learn to drop the ego concerning the "description" of these so-called psychedelics.

Gotta love it all, and the mind set is of upmost importance, along with the physical setting of it all.

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Offlineshaunoc1
Stranger
Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4365866 - 07/03/05 10:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting that you say:
"We all need to learn to drop the ego concerning the "description" of these so-called psychedelics."

and then follow it with
"What *psychedelics* are about is pattern- dissolving experiences of an extraordinarily high or different awareness."

I think that a hugely important part of psychedelia is what we take from the experience and how we interpret it, describe it and integrate it into our lives. Relating the experience in descriptive terms is difficult, and to do it well requires passion and talent - but look at someone like Terence McKenna; his verbal and literary ability were huge factors in what made him such a brilliant and convincing speaker / writer.

In fact, in one lecture, he was asked how come he hadn't been yet been arrested for his speeches. He replied "Notice that I use big words." The ability to describe the experience eloquently and intelligently not only enlightens the listener, but also helps to raise the whole culture out of the antiquated perception of "stoners" and "freak-outs".

Edited by shaunoc1 (07/03/05 10:20 AM)

Love is like a train...
Female

#4365879 - 07/03/05 10:26 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

"description" in quotes concerning forum related sarcasm.

sorry to misinform you my newbie friend. :smile:

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#4365892 - 07/03/05 10:35 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

wow,do they still say" freak-outs" in reference to people....

shit,i really can travle through time...

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

#4365902 - 07/03/05 10:46 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

do you know the author of my signature, shaunoc1?

--------------------

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#4365911 - 07/03/05 10:50 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i hate using this word,but uhhh, it fits......BURNNNNNN....

--------------------

Offlineshaunoc1
Stranger
    #4365931 - 07/03/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hi XOIIAresIIOX -
No I don't recognise your signature but it sounds like McKenna.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: CaptainH13]
    #4365938 - 07/03/05 11:01 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They're really is no difference between the natural and synthetic drugs, I prefer LSD, there's a church that uses 2cI as a sacrament, so people even find spirituality in "synthetic" drugs.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: CaptainH13]
    #4365939 - 07/03/05 11:01 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainH13 said:
i hate using this word,but uhhh, it fits......BURNNNNNN....

:lol:

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

#4365941 - 07/03/05 11:02 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shaunoc1 said:
Hi XOIIAresIIOX -
No I don't recognise your signature but it sounds like McKenna.

Good guess newbie :smile:  Ill give yah five for that, if yah take back your inital post disregaurding my sarcasm of the whole bit. lol.

--------------------

Offlineshaunoc1
Stranger
    #4365949 - 07/03/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

No worries XOIIAresIIOX, oops didn't realise you were being sarcastic

Love is like a train...
Female

#4365959 - 07/03/05 11:11 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I know, it is hard to tell over there damned impersonalized machines, hehe.

sometimes the greamlins just wont do the trick, lol.

--------------------

OfflineLazyCrash
I like gas.
Male User Gallery

Loc: T-Town
    #4365967 - 07/03/05 11:14 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I disagree with a lot of what has been said. I believe natural drugs have a clear difference from man-made, because I believe shrooms, dmt, salvia, etc. have their own consciousness that combines with your own.

LSD and MDMA have an apparently more 'fake' feel. All you and only you. I don't attribute that to a mindset barrier, I attribute it to how I feel on it.

--------------------
:mallow:

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: LazyCrash]
    #4365972 - 07/03/05 11:16 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

MDMA isn't a psycadelic, LSD is. It certainly has it's own "feel" to it, it's anything but fake.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Natural Vs Man-Made Drugs [Re: gdman]
    #4365979 - 07/03/05 11:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

agreed.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience