Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Grow Light, HPS

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
How many plants could a street light grow indoors?
    #4365089 - 07/03/05 02:48 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Have you ever thought of that?

The bulbs that are in street lights have to be strong enough to grow at least 50-100 plants indoor.

I think they would be ideal for gardening, if you have the electrical/power means to support it.

Maybe? Just a thought, because I just stepped outside for a moment, and the buzzing of all the immediate street lights is so powerful, that it annoyed me...and forced me to pop this hypothetical question...

Damned wonderment.

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4365136 - 07/03/05 02:59 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

you could grow maybe 4 tops, and that would be some serious depervation... they used to use street lights when they first started growing indoors, but switched to more efficient lights... the light intensity depends on how close the light is to the plant... at 1 foot away, you get the most light, at 2 feet, you get 1/4th the light, and at 3 feet you get 1/9th the light... read this book: indoor marijuana horticulture

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #4365142 - 07/03/05 03:00 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

An average streetlight uses a 250w or 400w HPS bulb, the same bulb type common in growlights. I'm no expert though, so don't hold me to that.

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: Phychotron]
    #4365148 - 07/03/05 03:02 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

No shit? Thats insane, I am not a grower, but i definitely would have guessed more (obviously)

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
    #4365162 - 07/03/05 03:05 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I've grown one plant with a common house light bulb (i don't know the wattage, mabey 120?) and alot of aluminum foil. So I imagine you could get a good rise out of at least 3-5 with a street light. Probably closer to 3 though.

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: pshawny]
    #4365172 - 07/03/05 03:08 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

pshawny said:
An average streetlight uses a 250w or 400w HPS bulb, the same bulb type common in growlights. I'm no expert though, so don't hold me to that.

hps is just a system and grow light oriented hps have differnt lumens for plants? im not too sure either

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #4365176 - 07/03/05 03:08 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

i've never grown, but i took a grow class when i was a health care provider. they used that book, which is good, but difficult if you dont know what your doing, so maybe have that in your collection, but read it second... i'm pretty sure those numbers are correct.. but i know they stopped using the street lights awhile ago (i think i remember hearing they started using them 20 years ago... but could be wrong).. even that book is a bit dated with the info, as technology is moving so quickly... they were saying that the new T-5 flourescents (250w system) are as good as the 400W hps bulbs... (or so i can remember)

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: Phychotron]
    #4365182 - 07/03/05 03:10 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks for the heads up, but im not planning on cultivating anytime soon, dont have the space or means to do so right now...

I dont have much indoor experience, as you could proably tell from my earlier hypothesis

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4365317 - 07/03/05 04:00 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

There are different growing techniques; some emphasise a lot of small bushy plants, others a few tall and lanky plants.

With a 400 HPS light (about $120 new) you can grow maybe 6 to 8 potted plants straight up. Much more than that and the plants on the outside don't get enough light and tend to stretch and bud poorly:

:thumbup:

There's a lot more to growing than just the light though.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: Diploid]
    #4365327 - 07/03/05 04:03 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I like those coat hangers, mmmhmm.  :bongload:

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: Diploid]
    #4365338 - 07/03/05 04:07 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

hanks for all the info guys, but really i was just tryin to start conversation on the yielding of lights, and how many a street light would produced, hypothetically speaking.

im not growing anything :smile:  or planning on it, lol.  not anytime soon.  not in the place, but when i do, i will be sure to take this into consideration, and get the whole heads up on the ordeal :smile:  hehe.

silly kids, i know theres more to growing than the lights :lol:

:tongue:

--------------------

Edited by XOIIAresIIOX (07/03/05 04:07 AM)

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

Loc: aca
    #4365407 - 07/03/05 04:30 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

The street lights around here aren't HPS, you can tell by the color of the light they emit.

I'm pretty sure they're LPS, I have no idea how well these things could grow plants.

Typically you're going to find HPS systems on roadways and such, aka areas that don't have much pedestrian traffic.

Compact flouros are the way to go if you want to grow pot for cheap imo~

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4365434 - 07/03/05 04:42 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

silly kids, i know theres more to growing than the lights

/me dises Ares and runs away again  :poke:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: Digs]
    #4365514 - 07/03/05 05:54 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

what color do LPS bulbs emit?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: felix]
    #4365741 - 07/03/05 09:34 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

A freind picked up a parking lot light w/ ballast and bulb. Someone was working on the lot, and just left it lying nearby. I think it was about a 400W HPS. It was a rectangular sort, not the round street-light type.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: How many plants could a street light grow indoors? [Re: phi1618]
    #4366304 - 07/03/05 02:39 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Those street lights are EXPENSIVE to run.

My father wanted to be able to turn his off, and called the electric company about it. The said the could put a switch on it but he would have to pay for the electricity for it. He asked how much more it would cost and they said it could raise his bill by $200 per month if used as intended.

If you were to use one of these for a grow and leave it on 18-20 hours per day......that's going to cost some $$$$$$$$ unless you have a generator.

Florescent grow lights are the way to go :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Grow Light, HPS

Community >> The Pub