Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
I cannot locate a ph neutralizer
    #4364898 - 07/02/05 11:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i've found lime, but not hydrated lime. i've called all around and one place had something to the name of 'calcium chips', does anyone know what these are exactly. i can imagine, yes, would i be able to just grind these and use them then as the powder in the casing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: I cannot locate a ph neutralizer [Re: Godspeed]
    #4364913 - 07/02/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You can find HI-YIELD brand at any garden store. on the bag it says "to sweeten the soil"
You can also find crushed oyster shell at any pet store, I feed it to my cockatiel for grit.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
Re: I cannot locate a ph neutralizer [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4364922 - 07/02/05 11:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i was at the pet store today, a large and well known one, i asked if they carried oyster shell and they said they did not.

i've looked at every garden store, and all have the typical lawn lime and no oyster shell. i've never seen the hi-yield brand, and i've asked at numerous places

what do you think of these calcium chips?

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

#4365198 - 07/03/05 01:14 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Try sodium Bicarbonate. AKA- Baking Powder.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I cannot locate a ph neutralizer [Re: thashaman]
    #4366081 - 07/03/05 10:21 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You do NOT want sodium bicarbonate. It's is the best fungicide I know, and you will not get ANY growth using it. It will literally kill your entire mycelium surface instantly. Now you are searching for calcium hydroxide, but that is not what you really want.

I have read that calcium hydroxide has a pH moving power of about 135% of calcium carbonate. In a LONG TERM sense that is true. But calcium hydroxide, unlike powered calcium carbonate, reacts all at once because it is realtively soluable. It's short term effect is maybe tens times that of calcium carbonate! And for mushrooms the short-term effect is more of a concern.

Ryche Hawke is full of shit when it comes to his recommendation of using calcium hydroxide in the amount he recommends. It doesn't work, and whatever he found was not hydrated lime or he just happened to find the lowest pH peat moss in the world. Hydrated lime has a pH of about 12 and will burn your skin and would totally prevent any mushroom growth at the ratio he suggested using it.

I recommend using calcium carbonate. My pH probe tests show that is will raise the pH of Sunshine brand Canadian Spugnam Peat moss to about 7.5-7.8 if added at 1/2 cup per 15 cups of peat moss. You can hold the pH better at that value if you use crushed aragonite coral (fish stores will carry it) or crushed oyster shell (feed stores) at the rate of 1-4 cups per 15 cups of peat moss. You can mix in 15 to 20 cups of vermiculite to this to give it a better texture. Some people add 10% coco coir too.

Edited by Blue Helix (07/03/05 12:38 PM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I cannot locate a ph neutralizer [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4366093 - 07/03/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

One other thing calcium carbonate can be found online at wine-making sites. It's also at garden stores sold as "lime" made of crushed oyster shell (look at the ingredients). Do not get dolomite-based lime. That has too much magnesium

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

#4366200 - 07/03/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Calcium Carbonate is the primary active ingredient in tums, maybe you can grind some up?

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4366221 - 07/03/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Tums probably also contains sugar. And if it does, you don't want it. A casing without any buffer is better than one with a bad buffer or sugar If you are in the mood to grind something up, get some white chalk board chalk and grind it up; that's pure calcium carbonate as far as I know (don't quote me on that).

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4366257 - 07/03/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4366293 - 07/03/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I use something very similar to what agar is showing, which is a type of oystershell flour with mixed grit sizes (and hence mixed time release effect). It's perfect.

As for the long term oyster shell flakes work well for most. Right now I am using crushed coral (i.e. the aragonite crystaline structure of calcium carbonate). That has proven itself to me before, and it's low in magnesium. It's also easy buy locally and inexpensive.

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4393708 - 07/11/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

get a ph test

Edited by seatrip (04/02/06 06:05 AM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4393838 - 07/11/05 08:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why don't you take the time to read this thread instead of ask questions already answered? If you use 1.2 c of hydrated lime that I have the whole thing will chemically burn. Don't know what Hawke things he found, but you should not use anything called hydrated lime under and circumstances. Using nothing at all is better than hydrated lime.

Offlineziploker
aka..theherbsmoker
 User Gallery

Loc: over there
Re: I cannot locate a ph neutralizer [Re: seatrip]
    #4393995 - 07/11/05 09:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i used hydrated lime with my 50/50 casing and it worked perfect.. i think the most important thing is to measure the pH level of your casing mix if your not sure. either with the test strip or a probe pH tester anyways... good luck

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract