Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemushboy
mush-o-holic
 User Gallery

Loc: mushland
terrarium humidity problem
    #4362883 - 07/02/05 01:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

(I appologize if I didn't look deep enough to find this info myself; all the advice I could find was just build one of those slanted drip guards for people who use a spray bottle to hydrate terrariums)

Hi, I'm having a serious problem with the humidity in the terrarium my friend and I build last night.  Its a standard terrarium; in the bottom is a few inches of water, and two bricks that support a metal cookie rack, on which are four casings.  For humidity, there is a submersible water heater to heat and evaporate the water.  Its working great, the problem is, theres a lot of condensation on the top dripping down.  My friend has each casing covered in saran wrap, so when I noticed this morning (we only put the thing together last night), at least the cakes haven't been ruined yet.  He also, instead of just putting the terrarium lid on, has a layer of saran wrap so mostly sealed off (its in a basement with lots of nasty mold I don't want to kill it--dumb place for it, but thats my friends fault and I think I'll be demanding it be moved upstairs).  Would removing the saran wrap layer on the top eliminate this problem?  Or am I going to have to build some kind of slanted drip screen regardless of the method of hydration?  The other thing I was concerned about........will just having the lid on the terrarium (it has holes for air ventilation, not big ones though) be enough to keep it sterile (thats the reason he put the saran layer over top in the first place).

A million thanks to any advice that can be shared.  If these babies make it out alive I'll post some good pics  :wink:

Thanks again,
--Phil

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: terrarium humidity problem *DELETED* [Re: mushboy]
    #4362900 - 07/02/05 01:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by meams

Reason for deletion: Old

InvisibleNINJA
Turbocharged

Loc: In the saddle
Re: terrarium humidity problem [Re: memes]
    #4362969 - 07/02/05 02:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

With a terrarium, You could place a light over the top of the terrarium.. and shut off the heater.. the low temp increase in the top of the terrarium makes the air move. carrying up the evapd water, and also acting like a defroster, keeping the water from building up and dripping. You can also make some wire bales for the top of your tank, like bows in a greenhouse.

NINJA

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: terrarium humidity problem [Re: NINJA]
    #4362978 - 07/02/05 02:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i dunno, id say get rid of the water altogether and used soaked perlite instead. Standing water has a nice way of sucking up contams. Do a search for magash's PMP as well, if you have access to some geolite, or even lava rocks, that setup could help solve your problem. GL man

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation