Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Perspective [Re: exclusive58]
    #4364169 - 07/02/05 08:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

that being said, i would say that such beings have attained a stage of awareness in which they realize that they are deeply connected to us humans, that we are all spiritually bonded, and that helping humans is the same as helping themselves, since we are all one.

But this is entirely anthropomorphic and in no way necessarily applies to an alien.

Indeed, even here among humans we find Islamic extremist who blow themselves up in a crowd of people, including children, and believe as wholeheartedly as you do that their way is the correct way.

If such aliens exist among our own species, imagine what could exist out there in the cosmos?

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (07/02/05 10:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Perspective [Re: Diploid]
    #4364219 - 07/02/05 09:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
that being said, i would say that such beings have attained a stage of awareness in which they realize that they are deeply connected to us humans, that we are all spiritually bonded, and that helping humans is the same as helping themselves, since we are all one.

But this is entirely anthropomorphic and in no way necessarily applies to an alien.

haha, if i was being anthropomorphic i'd be saying that these aliens would see us as potential enemies or opponents who would rather kill us than share the galaxy's ressources with us.

Quote:

Indeed, even here among humans we find Islamic extremist who blow themselves up in a crowd of people, including children, and believe as wholeheartedly as you do that their way is the correct way.

huh? i don't have a way, Truth is a pathless land, there is no correct way.. where did that come from?

Quote:

If such aliens exist among our own species, imagine what could exist our there in the cosmos?

Islamists are not aliens, they are humans like you and i.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #4364295 - 07/02/05 09:46 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe these worms had an ill fate, and died, cause they couldnt keep their society healthy enough to reach a level of technological innovation capable of finding intelligent life, and or travelling to a planet where that life is.

Out of all the possibilities, they are small, and they are large, what we do know is, is that we dont know... :rolleyes:

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Perspective [Re: Zero7a1]
    #4364331 - 07/02/05 09:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The actions of criminals and violent deviants is a reflection of the dark and crumbling center of humanity. The basis of our connection, the Void, the nothingness which cannot be named, has been forgotten, and All has become merely a word. Thus, we treat criminals and the insane as if they are acting our of their own choice, due to our mechanistic ideas of separation, instead of realizing that they are responding to the greater flux of existence as we all do.

Indeed, all is one, and if you see it this way life makes exactly 0.1% more sense than it does with the mechanistic,
"individualistic", and "scientific" notion of separate entities converging on this plane of reality, while somehow emerging from it at the same time.

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
Re: Perspective [Re: Gog]
    #4364366 - 07/02/05 10:13 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

One of the things brought up by this thread that I find particularly interesting is the idea of human morality relating to alien morality. Most people seem to have no problem projecting their own morality upon imagined aliens, seemingly as a self-comforting mechanism. This is contrary to the popular (at least here) idea that accepting and developing an understanding of other perspectives is a valuable tool for better understanding and refining your own. Diploid's point about suicide bombers seems unassailable to me. If we can see such a great degree of variation in the thoughts and beliefs of our own species, why would we not apply the lesson learned to our consideration of intelligences that are entirely foreign to us?

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4379041 - 07/07/05 09:27 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

After having thought about it a little more, i'd say that if intelligent beings have evolved for that long, they would perceive us the same way that we perceive babies: as clueless, confused people who act mechanically and who have a very limited perception and understanding of reality.

Indeed, i think that what we perceive of reality is only a small limited aspect of it. I'll even say that if we suddenly became aware of the true nature of reality, we would be feeling alot like the people that wake up to the 'real world' in "The Matrix".

--------------------

Offlineravin0ff
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4382214 - 07/08/05 02:11 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

No evidence of aliens visiting our planet?

Do some research on crop circles, geometry, and the people that "admitted" to pulling the whole "crop circle hoax".

Do not blow this off without a second thought, really, take half an hour and do some research.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Perspective [Re: ravin0ff]
    #4383872 - 07/08/05 02:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ravin0ff said:
No evidence of aliens visiting our planet?

Do some research on crop circles, geometry, and the people that "admitted" to pulling the whole "crop circle hoax".

Do not blow this off without a second thought, really, take half an hour and do some research.

danoEoboy? :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefutant462
Somewhat Human
Loc: Boston MA
Re: Perspective [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4384494 - 07/08/05 06:11 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

First of all, I completely agree with diploid's observation on human emotions and the potential lacking of these in aliens. There is no proof that human emotions can be isomorphically translated to other species on earth, let alone those utterly foreign to our imaginations.

Another important point that I wanted to bring up is that there is no need for an alien race to be advanced or intelligent in the way we think of that being true for humans. It is entirely possible to think of an alien race as a 'Hive' of which all the members of which are stupid and perform actions based merely on chemical signals (or whatever method you want, it need not be an form intelligent communication however) which designate jobs to the different components of the hive.

This is similar to the way that ant colonies work, much study can be done on ants as a system. Army ants will sacrifice individual members to create "living bridges" of members of their colony who interlock legs and arms together to allow the rest of the colony to migrate to new areas. Assuming it is possible to develop a biological system of transportation through space, there is no reason to discount alien species whom have mastered space travel without having ever 'known' it on a individual member scale, but rather the hive as a whole worked together, somewhat unknowingly perhaps, to accomplish this goal. This would be an example of a strictly survival based species mentioned earlier, and if sustainable, this may indeed be a more effective alien race than one similar to ourselves, and while peaceful amongst themselves for the most part (other than sacrificing oneself for the greater good) there is no reason to assume they would be peaceful to anything they encountered

Someone had also mentioned something about moving faster than the speed of light. As far as we know, including theories of relativity, quantum mechanics, and even several other fringe theories, there is no evidence that this can be done, and it is indeed entirely possible,and actually quite probable that there is no possible way whatsoever to do this.

--------------------
"no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs; we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power.?
-P.J. O'Rourke

What is a Quantum Particle?
The Dreams that stuff is made of!

Edited by futant462 (07/08/05 06:13 PM)

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Perspective [Re: futant462]
    #4384732 - 07/08/05 07:47 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

futant462 said:

This is similar to the way that ant colonies work, much study can be done on ants as a system.  Army ants will sacrifice individual members to create "living bridges" of members of their colony who interlock legs and arms together to allow the rest of the colony to migrate to new areas.  Assuming it is possible to develop a biological system of transportation through space, there is no reason to discount alien species whom have mastered space travel without having ever 'known' it on a individual member scale, but rather the hive as a whole worked together, somewhat unknowingly perhaps, to accomplish this goal.  This would be an example of a strictly survival based species mentioned earlier, and if sustainable, this may indeed be a more effective alien race than one similar to ourselves, and while peaceful amongst themselves for the most part (other than sacrificing oneself for the greater good) there is no reason to assume they would be peaceful to anything they encountered

But were talking about a time period of 1 billion years. The way you are saying that aliens would evolve is by is by "unknowingly'/unconsciously developing techniques and technology,  for means of survival. And at the same time you're saying these species would potentially make sacrifices for the greater good. But didn't humans make sacrifices as well? That was relatively not long ago..Wouldn't it make sense that, had such beings survived as long as one billion years ago (or 1 million), they would have evolved just like we did. I mean, the way you're saying this makes it seem like you're talking about primitive aliens!

If there is one thing that doesn't change in the universe, it's that everything changes

:wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order