Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Loc: Washington
Cautions on Pressure Cooking
    #4362254 - 07/02/05 04:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Recently I've been trying to get a successful grow of mushies, and I have run into some difficulties. I discovered that it was partially due to some mistakes in pressure cooking. I made what I thought was a good substrate mix, and after I pressure cooked it, it looked thick and wet, which I hadn't remembered it being. Most of those jars failed, and I was disappointed. Later on, after doing another set of jars, I discovered some mistakes I made. I will write them down so that everyone else can avoid making the same mistakes.

Do not put too much water in the PC. An inch is fine, anything more and you may risk it alterring the water content of your jars. Especially if you fill the entire PC with jars, it will raise the water near the rims. If this happens, remove some water.

Make sure that the foil you wrap over the lids is on good and tight, with no spaces or openings on the side. This is critical, because if any water is able to find its way in there, it can wreak havoc on your jar content. What happened with my last batch of jars was that some of them turned out normal and unchanged, but others ended up all sopping and gooey inside, which were the ones with loose foil lids. When I took the foil off there was BRF goop all over the top of the lids. My other good jars, on the other hand, had nice and tight foil covers, and were left unharmed. No matter how tight you put the foil on there, it won't keep the PC from doing its job, but it will keep water out.

Just a couple tips, because some other people may be having this experience as well.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cautions on Pressure Cooking [Re: matchbook]
    #4362379 - 07/02/05 06:38 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Do not put too much water in the PC. An inch is fine, anything more and you may risk it alterring the water content of your jars. Especially if you fill the entire PC with jars, it will raise the water near the rims. If this happens, remove some water.  or just put in the first layer of jars then add the water.

Also another thing I've noticed is that it is very safe to pc brf for 45 minutes at 10 psi. (Remember you can just boil brf for one hour and it will do fine). 10 psi for 45 min seems to keep the brf a light color and the myc just seems to colonize it faster. (This may just be a me thing but thought I'd put it down)  :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Loc: Washington
Re: Cautions on Pressure Cooking [Re: Magash]
    #4373362 - 07/05/05 09:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for your additional tips. Some people, though, including myself, do not have a psi measurement on our PCs. I just have to go by heat level on the stove. Mine is a stove PC, but I like it, because it holds up to 10 jars.

Also, it's true you can put the water in after the jars, but one thing to be concerned about is how much water you are actually putting in there. If you have a dense collection of jars in the PC, and you fill it up part-way up the jars, you may actually have very little water in there, and risk it completely drying up, depending on how long you PC for, and at what heat/psi.

Good tips, though. I simply wanted to add further clarification. I know by experience how disappointing it is to make a whole batch and blow it all by simple PC mistakes. Especially because I didn't realize I had altered the jars until 2 weeks after waiting for them to colonize :P.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation