Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Using plastic wrap on inside of tray to stick to a shrinking substrate - What are the benefits?
    #4362092 - 07/02/05 03:16 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

How many people use plastic on the inner tray and allow it to stick to the substrate as it pulls in? I heard of some using this technique, but I did a search and couldn't find it. What are the benefits? Will it help keep a grain tray from drying out as easily? What about side pinning? By stopping side pinning does it reduce overall yield?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using plastic wrap on inside of tray to stick to a shrinking substrate - What are the benefits? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4362357 - 07/02/05 06:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I use foil, in every single on of my tubs now. Myc bonds to it and shrinks with it. Improved the ease of perfect pinsets by so much, because now I dont have to worry about the sides ever...just the top of the casing..much easier to deal with. Light hitting the sides causing side pinning was never a problem on small grain trays (1-2 quars) but with bulk trays, its a pain, and I think because of the early pinning, fucks with the pinset and reduces yeilds. Thats what I've seen so far anyway...also makes for easier cleanup.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using plastic wrap on inside of tray to stick to a shrinking substrate - What are the benefits? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4362361 - 07/02/05 06:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

work you damn forum!

Wow...thats weird...there are 2 replies by me now, but it only says 1...it said none after I replied the first time, even after refreshing and all that, and didnt bump the post...did with all the ones after that...wierd lol..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Edited by scatmanrav (07/02/05 06:16 AM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using plastic wrap on inside of tray to stick to a shrinking substrate - What are the benefits? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4362713 - 07/02/05 12:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

scatmanrav, that is just want I was curious about. I think I'll use black plastic because I worry about aluminum absorption into the mushrooms a tiny bit because there is some minor evidence that it could somehow be involved with Alzheimer's disease, although no proof of a causal relationship has been found. At the doses we consume, though, I doubt there would be any effect compared to the baking powder that contains aluminum and is used in bread products which we most of us, bar Atkins followers, consume daily. This whole question line was prompted by my own frustration with a deeper grain tray I was trying.

This grain tray is 3", about the deepest I have ever gone with grain, using 50% vermiculite. After my first flush on that tray, I am convinced there is no point to going that deep with grain because whole grain substrates are just too dense to ever realize the fruiting potential when you go over 2". I mean after my first flush I have only 30% or so of the surface left that isn't gouged out. I could dunk and roll or flip (which I did), but it would be a hell of a lot easier if I had just used less depth to begin with and maybe flushed it out twice and tossed.

I think the beauty of manure is partly that it isn't so dense nutritionally. One gets a better ratio of water to nutrient in manure over any substrate I know. And for some reason the fruits off either manure or straw are a lot larger than grain, even deep, cased grain. My guess is that the nutrient transport across manure and straw are easier for mycelium which allows the mushrooms to grow bigger on those substrates. It's not that I like huge mushrooms--actually I like smaller ones better--but the bigger mushrooms give you more yield per surface area. That means more yield with less surface disruption which preserves fruiting surface for additional flushes. And because it can hold more water, there isn't quite the necessity for the dunking business with manure.

Edited by Blue Helix (07/02/05 12:09 PM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using plastic wrap on inside of tray to stick to a shrinking substrate - What are the benefits? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4362785 - 07/02/05 12:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I did a little more research on pubmed about this alleged link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. My conclusion is that the evidence is extremely weak even for huge amounts of aluminum, several hundred times what would be consumed in an ounce of mushrooms from a tray as you described. I will use aluminum myself.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4362815 - 07/02/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I believe I had seen a little data on just that before...and I believe I came to the same conclusions....especially when you consider the small dry doses people usually take, even in a lifetime...I think the air I breathe is less safe..if its concern to some, bags and plastic would probably works as well..I havnt tested how well it sticks when srinking though, the AL foil does very well, and is just much easier and cheaper then bags, especially on smaller containers. I'm fairly sure something else is gonna kill me before the foil :smile:

Gouging surfaces was never a huge problem for me either...it does happen alot more with grain then poo though...the mushrooms are in there alot more. I really am not sure which overall is better, but I know which is less work LOL...I did do some experiments with 4 inch grain, but it was dissapointing compared to 1 3/4-2 inches...I really like 1 3/4- 2 1/4 for any substrate...to get max yield from an amount of substrate..I also dig the smaller shrooms, compared to 1/8th beasts each shroom. Of course if your limited in fruiting surface area, then I'd go thicker with bulk..but I have plenty of fruiting room so I like spreading it "thinner".

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation