Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees?
    #4361515 - 07/01/05 10:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it.

Who agrees with this statement. Why?

I believe in that statement. If everyone was educated to the point where they could teach about the drugs, then the position of drugs in the world would be more positive and interesting. Rather than what it is now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: adamj]
    #4361569 - 07/01/05 10:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I would say, if you think you can write an essay on a drug without having actually experienced it, you're wrong.

I agree with the general point of your statement, that people should educate themselves first and know what they're getting into, but ultimately, you learn about the drug by experience. With mushrooms, for instance, people don't understand that psychedelic state of mind without experiencing it, even if they've read about it. Lots of people think mushrooms are just about weird imagery and music and such, but they don't know about the introspective state of mind, the new perspective.

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: MarioNett]
    #4361663 - 07/01/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Good point. How can people write about something they never experienced. To know the drug, you must take it in a blind fashion. Expecting the unexpected.

What.

MmmmmMmmmmMmmmmmm
chaa!

lim bu op a boo papapap

That's all for this side.

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: adamj]
    #4361698 - 07/01/05 11:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Completely and 100% agree. I think it's necessary for you to know what causes your system to act the way it does on the drug, what the potential dangers and long-term effects are, how to help someone who might be going through a bad experience, and where the limits are.

Since drug use is considered to be risky behavior, you should be as educated as possible. You wouldn't jump out of a plane if you didn't know how to open a parachute. You wouldn't jump off a bridge without a bungie cord rated with the correct weight. Etc.

You can't know what something is going to be like before doing it. And in all my drug experience, I did the drug for the first time before having much knowledge about it. However, I think it's good common sense for you to learn as much as you can after the experience, especially if you plan on doing it again. Also, if you were doing a drug for the first time, wouldn't you like someone with you who knew the ins and outs of it and could explain everything to you? I think it's just good response behavior to able to explain everything about something you like to someone who's never done it before. For instance ecstasy and shrooms are my two things and I try to educate myself the best I can for them in order to explain and help my friends who may want to do them who've never done them before. For instance the other night, I spent two hours over dinner and drinks with a friend explaining everything about ecstasy to her and then later tripped on some green telephones with her on the beach. The next day she told me that being with someone who she trusted and who knew what they were doing made the trip so much better and took a lot of the fear out of it for her. The first time I did ecstasy was horrible because I didn't understand it and no one could explain it to me. I think bad trips come from not understanding what or why something is happening to you.
It's just intelligent good behavior and people will like and respect you for being on top of what you're doing and being able to communicate what's going on.

I dunno, just my two cents.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by PhatWhitey420 (07/01/05 11:23 PM)

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4361708 - 07/01/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

so, can you tell me how psilocybin works in the brain?

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4361712 - 07/01/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

*without googling or checking erowid?

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4361713 - 07/01/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

**both of you?

cause I couldn't :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #4361752 - 07/01/05 11:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If I was asked this question (and I know I'm going to be wrong or give a answer not sufficent to those on the shroomery) but I'd say something along the lines of...

"Magic mushrooms contain a chemical called psilocybin that when ingested interacts with the brain to bring on strange feelings and visions not unlike LSD or some other hallucinagenic substance. A lot of people like this experience because it seems to bring to some feelings of euphoria or deeper understanding. For instance, one of the first times myself and group of friends did it, a friend and I spent a half hour looking at the sky before he proceeded to be so calm that he decided to lay down in the middle of a road. Now, that's pretty stupid behavior I admit and I instantly got him out of there but I'm trying to illustrate the feelings and sensations this thing brings on."

haha, kind of a cop out and I know I'm going to get blasted for that answer, but I'm not too deep on the chemistry aspect of shrooms. I'm more about what'll happen and how to remain calm.

I think though if you're a regular user of a substance you should be able to talk about it and describe it and have some knowledge of it. For instance the first time I ever did cocaine, I did it with a room full of coke heads and I asked a lot of questions about it and none of them had any real answers or knowledge even though they all shake anytime they see a line of white powder or when someone spills the salt.

Asking questions and having a concept of what something is going to do to you is gaining knowledge. Knowledge is power, and knowing is half the battle.

GI JOE!  :grin:

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by PhatWhitey420 (07/01/05 11:40 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4361764 - 07/01/05 11:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Good point. How can people write about something they never experienced.

I don't have to die to write an essay about death.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
    #4363400 - 07/02/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yes Yes Yes Yes Education is the key to good things.

--------------------
Namaste

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: MarioNett]
    #4363440 - 07/02/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I would not huff paint thinner or smoke crack or use methamphetamine. I think the experience of others ruining theirselves is sufficient. I disagree heartily with your statement.

--------------------
Namaste

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: RedNucleus]
    #4363455 - 07/02/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i believe in it like it's a scared sentence.....

educaton=liberation

:sun:

--------------------

OfflineXelios
God of Pancakes
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: Diploid]
    #4363535 - 07/02/05 03:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Good point. How can people write about something they never experienced.

I don't have to die to write an essay about death.

Maybe the effects of death on other people, but how can you write an essay on how death feels like if you haven't experienced it?

Offlinemikeyboy
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: Xelios]
    #4363554 - 07/02/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

My sig says it all  :wink:

--------------------
LSD: Defrag for the brain

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #4363646 - 07/02/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i can :smile: yay for my drug studies/adictions classes

psilocybin comes into the body and is accordign to some mtheories converted to psilocin theough the removal of a chemical bond with what i recall being a phosphorus based molecule....

anyhow the psilocin then enters the body and works its way across the blood brain barrier.... which it does pretty quickly considering some people get their first alert in under 10 minutes... regardless.... onto the brain chemistry....\

the mushrooms trigger the release of seritonin (5-ht) which is one of the 7 main neuro transmitters in the brain. this happens because the psilocybin fits into some of the key receptor sites in the brain although iht does it in such a massive way that it releases more than usual.. then you trip all the while your body is trying to filter out the psilocybin as an un-naturally ocouring chemical entity. it gets back to managable levels in about 6 hours...  which is when you come down...

now you might be saying wait seritonin thats what makes me roll on ecstasy and trip on acid, but the trips are so different, how can this be.

well allow me to help you on that.
while the same chemical is bring released in the brain different seritonin receptor sites are being triggered by the different chemicals... and believe me there are millions and bilions in the brain of all different types...

ill go brush up on my notes and get into the neuron's and the axons and the dendrites and the synapses :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4363651 - 07/02/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you are speaking of "side-effects" and "dangers" of a certain drug I believe people should be educated to them. Able to write a full essay?? That's going a little overboard. People should do a little research on the LD-50, common dosages, common side effects, and such before using any chemical.

However the experience cannot be learned through anybody else's words. You have to experiment with the drug to truly learn the most about it. You can read 100 reports of other peoples experiences but you will know nothing about the drug.

Main point being you will never truly know the effects of a certain chemical until experiencing it for yourself.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by mattzdope (07/02/05 04:24 PM)

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4363709 - 07/02/05 04:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:
now you might be saying wait seritonin thats what makes me roll on ecstasy and trip on acid, but the trips are so different, how can this be.

If you are speaking of "serotonin" can you please explain how serotonin makes you trip on LSD? According to many sources LSD mimics serotonin. Serotonin itself has nothing to do with the trip..

http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/entries/2004/bristol_rosling/My%20Webs/LSD.HTM

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: If you can't write an essay on the drug; you shouldn't be doing it. Who agrees? [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4363909 - 07/02/05 05:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PhatWhitey420 said:

I think though if you're a regular user of a substance you should be able to talk about it and describe it and have some knowledge of it. For instance the first time I ever did cocaine, I did it with a room full of coke heads and I asked a lot of questions about it and none of them had any real answers or knowledge even though they all shake anytime they see a line of white powder or when someone spills the salt.

I, too, have seen this, and I think that there is probably the biggest reason they're cokeheads to begin with...they don't care enough to know what it does, although they probably know it kills them, they probably feel better not knowing how bad it really is. Living in denial.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

Loc: Ry'leh
    #9685113 - 01/26/09 08:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think writing an essay is pushing it a little bit too far.  Knowing, in general, what the drug does is sufficient.  You wouldn't believe how many senior citizens that are out there taking medications that their doctor prescribed to them, and they don't even know what they're for!  I know you're taking a different risk with illegal drugs, but are you really?  Just read some of the side effects for Digoxin or Coreg, some of this stuff can really fuck you up if you're not careful.  From my experience in handing out pills, all one needs to know is "here is your blood pressure pill, this one is a diuretic, here's one for anxiety and it might make you sleepy, oh and the ones in the little baggy make you see all sorts of neat things that you didn't know were there before.  Call me if you need more anxiety meds."

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
    #9685171 - 01/26/09 08:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well I think you should be educated but I am not totally against idiots not knowing anything about drugs and over dosing on them. Less fucktards populating the planet.

I have always read a shitload about drugs before dosing.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom