Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Morning Glory Seeds, Phish, Pink Floyd, Salvia, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip
    #4361444 - 07/02/05 12:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Just thought I'd mention it. I had toyed with real Sandoz psilocybin, and Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seeds, but on this day 33 years ago, I took a hit of Windowpane AKA Clear Light LSD and my life was never the same again [+++Amen+++].

I was 19 years old and my tripping buddy Kenny was 17. Our sitter was Sam, a friend since 3rd grade. Today Kenny is a successful inventor (he used to design computer chips and is self-taught) and Sam is a Ph.D. genetic engineer employed by an ivy league university.

I remember discovering a sense of pain whenever I referred to myself in the first person - "I." I remember Kenny being surrounded in a two-color aura: pink, and an outer sky blue. When he spoke, sky blue 'prana' wafted from his mouth. One foot diameter mandalas and magick cicles appeared on the aqua carpet of my bedroom floor, rising up on transparent pedestals of 'clear light.' At one point, while being driven in Sam's red VW Beetle, I didn't know why everything was different - I couldn't remember if I had taken a drug because all I wanted to do was to 'see' colors. I hadn't planned on the radical experience that I was in the throes of.

Coincidentally, four years later, on July 1, 1976, I received a Catholic Christian Baptism after 4 years of ardent seeking. At the time, I believed that the mystics who were historically within the Church, understood the mystic experience in a theistically psychedelic way. Some of them might have had ergot-induced psychedelic experience unwittingly, like St. Anthony. I'm not embarrassed or proud - it just is and a coincidence that I noticed only years later.

I entered a Methodist seminary as a bearded, long-haired acid-head. The psych battery that I had fun with revealed that I had 'serious psychiatric problems' which delighted me because I had no intention of becoming a Methodist minister, and they didn't like this hippy in their uptight midst - but I was paying full tuition to hide out in academia away from the real world. I took way cool courses in Jung, comparative religion, mysticism as well as the basic theology and Bible courses. Bathroom grafitti said "I used to be an acid head, now I'm a God head." Someone replied, "You're a shithead." I used those two years to 'come down' from 4 years of constant tripping - talk about a 'desert' experience.
Well, I'll quit here. Didn't want it to become an autobiography, just a mention of a life-changing event. The BIG trip of Independence Day 1973 is archived in here somewhere, but that's a story that's already been told.

Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4361932 - 07/02/05 02:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Happy anniversary!

My first anniversary of tripping is June 17 it was 1994. Anyone remember what happened on that date? Well I had started tripping on a nice dose of shrooms that we had picked earlier in a cow pasture. My friend got on the phone and asked, "Can you handle some acid along with the shrooms?" I was young. I'm like "Sure" Someone asks you..."more popcorn?"..you're like "suuuure".

Anyway he leaves..the tv is tuned to CNN and they are showing a chase of a white bronco on a major highway in California. Of course it was O.J. Simpson and the rest was history.

Seeing that while tripping was something else.

I remember discovering a sense of pain whenever I referred to myself in the first person

:grin: Nicely put.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat-a-pult, Pingu Slap

Loc: SoCal
Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: Jellric]
    #4362602 - 07/02/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

bravo! markos! do you have any published papers?

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: uriahchase]
    #4362794 - 07/02/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks. I've published only one professional journal article in all my years (I'm not in a publish-or-perish academic setting). My doctoral dissertation was published by Microfilms International in 1983. I expect to write a couple of books when the time is right.

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (07/09/05 03:01 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: Jellric]
    #4362812 - 07/02/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I could never focus on a flickering TV screen on psychedelics. The wall behind the TV is just as interesting as the television. I'm already on visual-inner-vision overload. Only music makes sense, and the type changes to a point when only thunderous silence makes sense.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4362842 - 07/02/05 01:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

My first go was in July as well. It was 1981 and I was 17 years old. I took one hit of "purple microdot" given to me by an older brother. A week later I took two...another week later I took three. The next 5 years was marked by one and sometimes two (with a little tolerance) trips weekly. This was the period in which my tastes in art, music, and religion started to solidify. I had a hell of a good time in the process.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4363388 - 07/02/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like a parallel course. I wonder if a thousand years of Mystery Rites among the Greeks created a subculture similar to our 20-21st century psychedelic subculture. Of course, Eleusis was sanctioned by their government whereas psychedelicists are forced to go 'underground' like the early Christians in the Roman catacombs. Nevertheless, we are fortunate that our government is tolerant enough to permit a Shroomery to exist.

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #4363579 - 07/02/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Dude, yesterday was my first trip on acid too dude. I've done a lot of shrooms before and got burned out by them, way to fucking edgy. The acid was fucking great, best thing ever, can't wait till the 4th.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4363681 - 07/02/05 06:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I read about psychedelics for a few years before I was introduced. I was familiar with most of Leary and John Lilly's stuff by then. I was also influenced by Charles Tart's "Altered States of Conciousness" so my imagination was already fully captured. That I would integrate psychedelics into my life was a forgone conclusion at that point. Our country's laws are peculiar. There are so many mixed messages about psychedelics it is confusing as to the real deal. Salvia has went up for scheduling twice and the laws were shot down. It is still legal to have Pedro and Psilocybe spores (except California) as well as fresh material (in Florida). Somewhere buried within the government there must be an influence...a mole if you will...appealing for more enlightened views to be adopted. It is already well known that most psychedelics are medically (not psychologically) harmless.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: downforpot]
    #4364602 - 07/02/05 11:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Strange...I agree with my Lady that acid is totally Solar while mushrooms are Lunar. Acid is like the desert at 'High Noon' while I've almost always taken mushrooms in the dark of night. I've known many a soul to be fried on acid (acid burns) but not on mushrooms  :confused:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4364627 - 07/03/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I grew up within view of Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, E. Hanover, NJ. I went there many times to make deliveries (the guards always laughed at this long-haired kid and said "Have a nice trip". I tried Sandoz psilocybin a couple of times (never the blue LSD pills). One of my roommates once had a bag of 200 Sandoz tablets. He was just one guy - there must have been many (not counting Leary and Alpert who drove down from Boston to get some). I'm convinced that leaking all that acid out of Sandoz (some of which got to Beatles and Stones etc.) was a major socio-psychological experiment. It just couldn't have been one theft after another of such a 'change agent.'

When the government realized that a psychedelicized soul was a threat to the whole consumerist, materialist status-seeking mentality upon which our capitalistic society is based, they had to put an end to it. But that's just my opinion (although Jay Stevens in Storming Heaven has stuff to say).

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4364698 - 07/03/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"I'm convinced that leaking all that acid out of Sandoz (some of which got to Beatles and Stones etc.) was a major socio-psychological experiment. It just couldn't have been one theft after another of such a 'change agent."

I think you are right. Was the government responsible? Maybe they just didn't give a shit at the time...or wanted to see what the mass effect was...in any case someone was responsible. The propoganda fear of entheogens that was started in the 60s I think is starting to wear off. Many people realize now that many good things came of the psychedelic culture. I hold entheogens directly responsible for the environmental movement that has cleaned up so many places in our country, our societal awareness of native american culture is related to it, and much of our art was influenced by it...and all modern music owes a debt to acid. I personally hold it responsible for the formation of most of my core values. I think that ultimately whatever unleashed all that acid back in the 60s it was a positive thing. I hope against hope that our government will eventually see that entheogens are not their enemy. To put them in the same class as coke, meth, heroin, and pills is a tragedy for our society as a whole.

"I went there many times to make deliveries (the guards always laughed at this long-haired kid and said "Have a nice trip"."

Wow...what a friendly attitude. I never had a chance to try Sandoz, but I was told that some of the stuff I did early on had an Owsley Stanley lineage. I once read that most of the acid sold up through the mid-80s was leftovers from Stanley and a few other psychedelic chemists of the early 70s. All told I am given to understanding that all of the acid ever made was produced by less than 100 chemists.

--------------------

Offlineajna
Hunter
Male

Loc: Qld, AUS
    #4365147 - 07/03/05 03:01 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Strange...I agree with my Lady that acid is totally Solar while mushrooms are Lunar. Acid is like the desert at 'High Noon' while I've almost always taken mushrooms in the dark of night. I've known many a soul to be fried on acid (acid burns) but not on mushrooms  :confused:

great write up there, it warms the heart  :heart:

i completely agree with this last statement, the lunar/solar metephor fits perfectly.

--------------------

what i'm listening to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ajnachakra/

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: July 1, 1972 - My First LSD Trip [Re: ajna]
    #4365752 - 07/03/05 09:41 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks. The metaphor can be expanded on different levels. Even though ergot grains fall to Earth and produce tiny purple mushrooms, the fungus tends to grow on stalks of grain, suspended between Earth and sky, in the bright sunlight. So, the elements of 'Air' and 'Fire' predominate, whereas the mushrooms seem to belong more to the elements of 'Earth' and 'Water.' Even the quality of the energy is different. I could always listen to classic acid-rock on acid, like Hendrix, but on mushrooms I do not get 'electric' in the same way. Perhaps 'hydroelectric' but I'm sure I'm straining the metaphors. Anyway, it doesn't go, I need more organic or mellifluous stuff: Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, even Phish.

New Years Eve 1999-2000, my Lady took acid for the first and only time with me. At the peak, the only music that made sense (and she finally 'got' this type of music) was Ravi Shankar playing classic sitar ragas. Beyond this form (which resonated well with our nervous systems [I'd been listening to it for decades]) only silence made sense. Two gel tabs each took us beyond even the prettiest 'Dark Star' Grateful Dead space. She said that she felt "stranded in the desert by day." When I was in college, and had a run of tripping, people who didn't know me but knew of me would say 'Hey man, you need to bring up some Yin energy' [dark, moist, feminine] - it was so obvious that I was trying to become exclusively Shiva/Yang/Solar and the imbalance was obvious.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Morning Glory Seeds, Phish, Pink Floyd, Salvia, pH Test Strips

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology