Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Would Dunking in light be beneficial?
    #4360653 - 07/01/05 07:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So here's the deal, tommy's got a PF cake here that he just started dunking, (just reached full colonization. He already decided this one wasnt going in the fridge. but he figured since the rest of his cakes are about to go through their 14 hours of light tonight he might as well put the dunk in there with them.

I dont need any replys about sterility here, i got the sterility under control, this post has nothing to do with the fact that im not dunking in the fridge, we already had that debate... a few times.

Does anyone have an opinion or an experience with introducing light while dunking?

The only problem i see happening is the air exchange trigger wont happen until the morning but the light and the temp drop will be there tonight. but i guess when doing a dunk in the dark your only getting the temp drop... damn, im rambling.

Opinions or experiences?

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBrotherJohn
Man Behind the Harmonica
Male

Loc: Somewhere I Have Always B...
Re: Would Dunking in light be beneficial? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4360686 - 07/01/05 07:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well light is only needed to innitiate pinning.Its not going to hurt it,but only a very small amount of light is needed to trigger pinning.I use to let mine get about 15 minutes of indirect daylight a day and that was more than enough.But like i said it woundnt hurt it.
The only other issue may be that if your light produces alot of heat after 14 hours it may stall the process a little because the temperture drop of the cake wopuldnt be as big,but that only is if your light puts off alot of heat,even then may be neglidgable.
good luck

--------------------

-I Lied and Told Her I Loved Her...She Didn't Care,But Anyway.......

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
    #4360746 - 07/01/05 08:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

after you dunk your going to have your cakes on a light cycle right? so with that way of thinking then you dont even need to expose them to light while dunking. the main purpose of dunking is to rehydrate your cake, the temp drop is an added bonus created by cold shocking. cause when you transfer your cakes from the incubator to the fruiting chamber the 10F drop of temp from 85F to 75F is enough to initiate pinning. so yeah you can expose them to light but it really just doesnt matter cause you have your light cycle in effect.

oh and brother john light also has another benifit besides pin trigger, it tells the mushies which way is up.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Re: Would Dunking in light be beneficial? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4360793 - 07/01/05 08:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Tommy has been growing for a while. His set-up is good in all aspects... He is just doing an experiment about whether or not light is beneficial when dunking and that is all... the bulb used for light is a 33 watt 2ft flouro and the room is circulated with a hepa filter and temp is kept at a constant 75F...

Just wondering what you guys think? There's also a cake thats dunking in the dark... which one will pin first?

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#4360814 - 07/01/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

how is he going to be able to tell if it is benificial? after the light it got from the dunk will no more light be exposed? it just seems like a hard experiment to do cause the variable of time it takes a cake to pin. but hey if its in the name of experimenting then go for it. youll just hav eto figure a way to see if it actually helps.

i say you would need to do 10 cakes of each to find a close answer

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (07/01/05 08:22 PM)

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Re: Would Dunking in light be beneficial? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4361288 - 07/01/05 11:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you're right, but we all know that 10 cakes arent ready for birthing all the same time. Ill do this experiment a few times and see if there is any trend. Sounds like you guys arent really getting what im saying, so ill go into detail here...

There are 2 PF cakes(slightly modded tek), both inoculated with 2cc of "Jade," a very potent, fast colonizing, contam resistant isolate from FL. They both fully colonized in 6 days after inoculation, then tommy waited 1 more day.

Cake #1 is being dunked for 12hrs in a 75 degree enviroment with no light

Cake number 2 is being dunking in the fruiting closet with flouro light for the duration of the dunk...

do this 3 or 4 times and see if theres a trend.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#4361433 - 07/02/05 12:09 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

sounds better once you explained. yeah let us know what the results are after you try 3-4 times.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation