Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
I've got nothing
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Tom Yum Goong: A sweet and spicy traditional Thai soup.
    #4360646 - 07/01/05 07:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone every make it, or have tried it? I have, about a half a dozen times. It's so good. I was wondering, if you did make this, share your recipe. If I can ever find mine I will post it in here.

The first time I ever made this, it was my best. And now I have seemed to have lost the recipe. I tried making it the other day with a recipe from the internet, and it was nowhere near the correct way to do this soup.

The hardest part is making the correct Nam Prik Pao(a blend of seasonings, and shrimp paste) that is added towards the end of the cooking. Another thing is you must use shrimp with shells and heads still attached for making the broth. Maybe if I dig around hard enough I can find my original recipe.

So anyone ever have any experience with this great soup?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
I've got nothing
 User Gallery

Re: Tom Yum Goong: A sweet and spicy traditional Thai soup. [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #5338844 - 02/25/06 09:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would give this thread a bump with my way of cooking this great soup.  I finally found the recipe for it, so here it goes....

The Ingredients:

16 oz (1 lb.) Medium sized shrimp/prawns with heads attatched(if possible), shelled and deveined(if you like), keep shells reserved (for broth flavoring)
6 cups water
3 medium tomatoes (cut in quarters)
4 garlic cloves (kratiem), minced, (or,a heaping 1/2 teaspoon.)
7-10 kaffir lime leaves (bai ma-good)
--
6 thin slices fresh or dried galangal (kha) not real thin, like this:

--
1/2 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
4 stalks lemon grass/citronella (ta-krai), lower 1/3 portion only, cut into 1-in (2.5-cm) lengths
4 shallots, sliced
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro/coriander leaves (bai pak chee)
1-2 cups(or 1 can) sliced or whole(your preference) straw mushrooms
7-10 Green Thai chili peppers, orange/reddish ones are good too (prik khee noo), skip this ingredient if you dont like the heat/spicyness
1/2 cup Lime juice, try a little less than 1/2 C. unless you like a strong lime flavoring
--
2 teaspoon black chili paste (nam prik pow)  For this recipe I used the one on the right, but either will work fine.)

--

--
Peeling and Cutting the lemon grass

notice the section my hand is on is the portion that we use, the rest is discarded

To start:

1.)  In a large pot add water and shrimp shells, dont forget them heads!!  Thats where the most flavoring is!!  Heat to a hard boil, then shut off heat, and let sit for 1 minute, get a transfer pot ready with a strainer and procede to strain the broth once the minute has passed, removing shells/heads/little shrimpy fingers.  :smile:

2.)  Next, take transfer pot with broth and return to heat(med low) add the main ingredients:  garlic, lime leaves, galangal, fish sauce, lemon grass and shallots,mushrooms and chili peppers (if using.) to the stock/broth.
*~note~* to properly release the lime flavors from the kaffir lime leaves, you must slit the leaves with a knife like so:

also, step 2 is where spicyness comes into factor, if you like this soup spicy(or the traditional way)  just follow the instructions.  If you dont like it too hot, add the chili peppers with the shrimp.  I like it hot so what I do is cut a couple thai chilis (not all of them!! unless you're hardcore :cool:) in half exposing the seeds and throw those in with the shrimp.  Cutting them obiously releases more spicyness than if not cut.

Cook this gently for 2- 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally

3.)  now we add the shrimp, then turn the heat on high, and right before it starts to begin a hard boil, add the tomatoes.  shut heat off, and let rest for 1 minute.  remove from heat.

4.)  Now the most important part, The Nam prik Pow:
place the lime juice and black chili paste in a large serving bowl (big enough to serve all this soup in!!) and stir it until the paste has been broken up and equally distributed.  Add the soup broth to the nam prik pow and stir well.  Top with cilantro and serve.  Making sure to equally disperse the shrimp and mushrooms between servings.

You cant eat the lemon grass, lime leaf, or galangal (atleast I wouldn't try it).  remove or ignore them while eating, they are for flavoring only.

Enjoy!
:smile:

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Tom Yum Goong: A sweet and spicy traditional Thai soup. [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #5340164 - 02/26/06 06:48 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds really good, I think Ill try that. I just doubt that my local Vons carries all of that, do you think I should try finding a speciality market?

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#5340175 - 02/26/06 07:16 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

great recipe pictoral!

OfflineThai_connection
Siam
 User Gallery

Loc: Thailand
Re: Tom Yum Goong: A sweet and spicy traditional Thai soup. [Re: boO]
    #5340202 - 02/26/06 08:06 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The man knows how to cook authenic thai food...i'll be over for dinner...
peace
siam

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
I've got nothing
 User Gallery

Re: Tom Yum Goong: A sweet and spicy traditional Thai soup. [Re: Thai_connection]
    #5340405 - 02/26/06 11:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

hey, thanks for the comments and replys folks!

Quote:

TheCow said:do you think I should try finding a speciality market?

Most oriental groceries have the hard to find ingredients: lemon grass, thai chilis, fresh shallots and galangal. 

The only really hard to find ingredients are "fresh" galangal, and shallots.  If you run across dried galangal, that works great too.  If you can't find shallots, try and find a dehydrated fried red onions mix.  Don't be afraid to ask your local Thai/chinese restaraunts where they get their ingredients.  Try a Thai place above all, if possible.  Most places will be glad to help you.

Any other questions I will be glad to answer.
later!
:peace:

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #5345173 - 02/27/06 02:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Mmmm.  That does look truly badass :thumbup:
Thanks for bumpin' your thread with the recipe!

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing