Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Are these mushrooms in my lawn Panaeolus subbalteatus?
    #4359511 - 07/01/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I found these two different groups of mushrooms in my lawn today and wonder if they might be Panaeolus subbalteatus.

I live in the NW corner of CT bordering MA and it rained like hell two days ago with a sprinkle yesterday, and today being in the high 80's.

This first group I found in the middle of my lawn. The caps seem to be a darker tan, with attatched gills and vary in size. The stem is relatively the same color as the cap, just a little lighter.

This second group I found near my garden which has some pretty nice soil. The mushroom's here are significantly bigger than the first group and are a lighter tan aswell. The gills of these mushrooms are also attatched. I suspect both of the groups of are the same type of mushroom, and that the second is just faded with age. This makes sense because where the first group was got mowed yesterday and where the second was wouldn't have been.

Could both these finds just be the common Haymaker's Mushroom (Panaeolus foenisecii) or what I would prefer, Panaeolus subbalteatus?

I've also seen very similar mushrooms growing in cow manure in a nearby and secluded pasture, would these more likely be Panaeolus subbalteatus rather than Panaeolus foenisecii?

I'm working on the spore prints for both groups right now to aid in the identification.

Oh and also, are Panaeolus foenisecii poisoness?

Sorry for the so many questions, I'm just very interested.

--------------------

Edited by PlasticFantastic (07/01/05 02:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Are these mushrooms in my lawn Panaeolus subbalteatus? [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #4359592 - 07/01/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

the first group appear to be Panaeolina foenisecii.

the second group might be a type of Concybe.

and no Panaeolus foenisecii is not poisonous, not psychoactive, and not exactly an "edible" either.
they are best just left alone.

OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Re: Are these mushrooms in my lawn Panaeolus subbalteatus? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4359648 - 07/01/05 03:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, thats what I was assuming for the first group and for the second, Conocybe tenera was my guess, if the groups were not the same.

But what about the mushrooms I have found in cow manure? Possible Pan subs?

Both spore prints were tanish by the way, not black.

--------------------

Edited by PlasticFantastic (07/01/05 03:12 PM)

Offlineceoner
Stranger
Re: Are these mushrooms in my lawn Panaeolus subbalteatus? [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #4359867 - 07/01/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Tan or brown is no good...subbs are a black print

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Are these mushrooms in my lawn Panaeolus subbalteatus? [Re: ceoner]
    #4360796 - 07/01/05 08:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The ones on top definately look promising. I'm finding more than the normal amount of subbs this year for some reason where I live in MA I'm going to try and get some pics. Its always been hard for me to find enough to get a noticable trip because the dont seem to grow in large patches naturally but I think they're liking the weather.

This is an article on foenisecii I was referred to on this board years ago I though was interesting:
http://www.mushroomjohn.com/panaeolina1.htm
if nothing else it should help you distinguish them a little better. Definatley not active but they do look damn similar sometimes, especially in harsh conditions like sunlight. Sometimes if you can see a layer of black spores on the little caps underneath a big one it serves as a very crude sporeprint but they have to be clustered.

I hope to have my own pics of them up tommorow because there seems to be a shortage of information on them compared to all the more potent fungi but as far as I know its the only common active mushroom in our area.

--------------------

OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Re: Are these mushrooms in my lawn Panaeolus subbalteatus? [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #4360843 - 07/01/05 08:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah definately get some pictures up, I'd like to check them out. Mine did turn out to be Panaeolus foenisecii though, but I really want to find some Pan subbs around and learn the difference (thanks for the link). What part of MA do you live in?

Did you find yours in grass too?

--------------------

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

#4361006 - 07/01/05 09:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I live in northeast MA by the NH border. Over the past few years, I've found what I think are subbs on my lawn but its hard to find a lot it seems. I find more on damp dead grass (I have experimented with cultivating subbs outside on beds of dead grass. It seems to work quite well) and horse manure (It has to be rotted just right, no too much not too little. I've heard bad things about eating things that grow on manure).

I was reading the related threads (at the bottom of this page) and they made me believe even more that subbs and foenisecii are mostly indistinguishable. I think there are probably a few misidentifications in there but if you believe them all the only way to tell for sure is subbs have a smooth spore and foenisecii are rough... that doesn't mean much to me as I sure don't have no microscope and I'm far from an expert if you cant tell. As a very general rule for distinguishing subbs I look for a darker ring that reaches all the way to the edges of the cap, the black spores, and a little darker brown and gold on top than most foenisecii. As to the shape they both vary quite a bit.

They're hard to find but they do grow and this is the time of year. I'd like to find out the difference myself so I'll try to put information on it in a more organized fashon together. I have no digicam but I'm sure I'll be able to burrow a friends sometime soon.

cheers

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification