Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePowRGnome
No Stranger toCamus
What could it possibly be...
    #4350658 - 06/29/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hey all, thanks for the massive resources up to this point.

I've been trying to grow for a couple months now, first dealing with slow colonization and contamination, then bad environmental variables, and finally a few cakes in my terrarium produced some small mushrooms. The cakes that have not produced anything continue to grow mycelium and they look like porcupines. Some of the strands coming from them are even pinhead shaped, but without the color or further growth.

At first I thought it was a problem with humidification, cause I had an ultrasonic humidifier on a 1/2 hour on 1/2 hour off timer going through two large water jugs and there were still droplets condensing on the cakes. So I put some perilite in the bottom, cut off more of the output of the humidifier and jacked an old Macintosh for its power supply fan, which is now on the bottom. The humidifier's pretty cheap (Holmes) and I don't think there's much I can do to stop the suspended drops (I did have 5 Coke bottles at one point.) The fan seems to be doing a good job at air exchange and I figure the humidifier is just keeping the perilite happy (and clean with H2O2 hopefully).

Well I feel like a dumbass for neglecting the fact that pins probably won't grow in a room that makes me sweat whenever I go in for more than 5 minutes. I'd put a window fan in there but I'm worried about kicking up too much dust, and I'm not sure how much it would help considering it's been 98 degrees outside and very high humidity. It'll be like this till August, and maybe a little while afterwards if we get an Indian summer.

SO, (lol, sorry, I do like to go on about my growing setup, how many people can you really tell about it?), my question is how to keep the temperature (seemingly the only variable I don't have under control, unless you guys think I've done something wrong already) in the fruiting range? I've seen a lot about heaters and stuff, but nothing about keeping it cool. I've put some ice cubes on the perilite and that's the only way I've had success so far while it's been this hot. Does a cool mist humidifier keep it that much cooler? It's about 86-90 degrees in the chamber during the day, and the ultrasonic humidifier does seem to be putting out very warm air. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks so much, you guys fuckin rule.

PowRGnome

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: What could it possibly be... [Re: PowRGnome]
    #4350698 - 06/29/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

why cant you just live with the ac in your house at 75?

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflinePowRGnome
No Stranger toCamus
Re: What could it possibly be... [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4350714 - 06/29/05 01:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What AC?

OfflinePowRGnome
No Stranger toCamus
    #4350717 - 06/29/05 01:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No AC.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4350742 - 06/29/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

lmao...... how can you live without a/c????

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4350748 - 06/29/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If veg growth keeps growing dont RAISE humidity, lower it. Humidity is NOT a pinning trigger. Fresh air, light, and a temp drop are. If temps are really in high 90s...try cold shocking the cakes if you havnt already. If you have, just increase air exchange to as much as possible, and give them light. Try some frozen 2 liters of water (rotate between freezer and chamber) to drop the temp as well. Pins can take time to show up, especially when conditions arent perfect..be patient.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What could it possibly be... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4350849 - 06/29/05 02:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
If veg growth keeps growing dont RAISE humidity, lower it. Humidity is NOT a pinning trigger. Fresh air, light, and a temp drop are. If temps are really in high 90s...try cold shocking the cakes if you havnt already. If you have, just increase air exchange to as much as possible, and give them light. Try some frozen 2 liters of water (rotate between freezer and chamber) to drop the temp as well. Pins can take time to show up, especially when conditions arent perfect..be patient.

Yeah, you probably are going overboard on the humidity. If you have wet perlite on the bottom, that should be more than enough. Just make sure you are fanning the chamber out a couple of times a day. Scat's idea with the 2 liters seems like a smart one IMO. You should be more worried about your own conditions though, NO AC! How do you do it dude? :mad2:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePowRGnome
No Stranger toCamus
Re: What could it possibly be... [Re: FooMan]
    #4359300 - 07/01/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well actually a friend of mine just came across 3 AC's he found in a building he's rehabbing. The only question is do I buy one for the mushies first or me...

PowRGnome
(no cool signature)

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4359364 - 07/01/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

buy one that air conditions your whole damn house/trailer/apt... so you and the mushies get the benefit.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck