Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoMonsters
MonsterMinded
Loc: Indiana
Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you?
    #4358697 - 07/01/05 07:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hello,

First of all, i would like to say that i have been around a long time, with few posts here. Also known as NINJA here and at the nook.
I am in attempt to offer information that may help people starting out in ther mycological ventures.

Ok...

Running a giant autoclave can prove to be a daunting task, and very very hard in a business budget with todays fuel prices. Though a half full autoclave will heat faster and cool faster, you are going to loose money if you are not using the clave to its fullest capacity EVERY time you fire it up.

In attempt to reduce operating costs, and make a more flexible schedule, we have taken time to see just what can be done with pressure cookers.

Below you will see statistics for 3 different cookers... i picked cookers that are easily available and cheap to the public. None were over $100.00 (without shipping) .

Up to bat are the following cookers

Mirro Brand 11 quart pressure cooker
Cost new $39.99 plus shipping (used from $10.00 and up)
Available - Online and in some stores
Gasket type - rubber viton
8 pint water capacity when loaded to capacity with stand off plate
16 - capacity in half pint wide mouth jars
135 minutes - minute full cycle time @ 72 degrees f. ambient temperature loaded to capacity and 120 minutes @ 15 psi. Cycle time is from burner on till burner off (does not include cool down period)
$.127 (12.7 cents) Average operating cost per jar with standard liquid propane cost of $1.00 per pound.
Heat source for testing :
45,000 btu hr. burner (5 full cycles)
85,000 btu hr. burner (5 full cycles)

Mirro Brand 22 quart pressure cooker
Cost 49.99 plus shipping (used from $15.00 and up)
Gasket type - rubber viton
8 pint water capacity when loaded to capacity with stand off plate
32 - capacity in half pint wide mouth jars
140 - minute full cycle time @ 72 degrees f. ambient temperature loaded to capacity and 120 minutes @ 15 psi. Cycle time is from burner on till burner off (does not include cool down period)
$.067 (6.7 cents)Average operating cost per jar with standard liquid propane cost of $1.00 per pound.

All American (AC-Lab used but identical) Brand 1941x sterilizer
Cost $420.00 plus shipping (used from $80.00 and up)
Gasket type metal to metal, no gasket
2 pint water capacity when loaded to capacity with insert basket
60 - capacity in half pint wide mouth jars
185 - minute full cycle time @ 72 degrees f. ambient temperature loaded to capacity and 120 minutes @ 15 psi. Cycle time is from burner on till burner off (does not include cool down period)
$.061 (6.1 cents) Average operating cost per jar with standard liquid propane cost of $1.00 per pound.

Pros and Cons

Mirro's
Pros
1. Set heat and forget it.. little adjust ment needed
2. Low $$ cost of equipment
3. Available readily
4. Parts available readily
5. Lower cycling times
Cons
1. Gaskets require attention upon steady use
2. In time the gaskets would not seal easily without enormous heat source
3. Use four times the water per cycle
4. Handles and gaskets may melt over vigorous heat source
5. No pressure gauge

All American
Pros
1. Quality can not be beat!
2. Lowest cost of operation
3. Metal to metal seal makes for a no fuss sterilizer
4. Sterilizers come with basket for keeping things dry (makes for easy extraction of product)
5. Can sustain higher temperature and pressures.
Cons
1. High equipment cost
2. Not readily available in stores
3. HEAVY.. Did i mention loaded, the thing weighs about 80 pounds!!!
4. Do not fit standard burner / fryer stands properly.. too large
5. Slightly higher cycling times (cool down times are extremely longer due to weight of product etc, you can't vent pressurized steam from bags and jars)

The all round performer is all american. Sturdy and lower operation costs make it choice investment.

You all out there with 915, 921, 925, 930.. cookers and sterilizers feel free to post your findings on those cookers.

Cookers shown in picture below from left to right,

11quart mirro, 41 quart AC-Lab (all american is same) sterilizer, 22 quart mirro

Peace!

NINJA

pics courtesy of mycomonsters

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: MycoMonsters]
    #4358712 - 07/01/05 07:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to post this.  I was thinking we need a comprehensive equipment list w/ reviews, and this is a good start.  :thumbup:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4358871 - 07/01/05 09:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Nice work.
A few questions.
How have you figured the 6.1c and 6.7c figures?
The mirro does 32 jars in 140 min while the AA does 60 in 185min. so I figure it to be 4.375min per jar vs 3.083min per jar. Then the mirro should cost 142% more per jar than a AA. Or am I missing something?
Were they all filled with the same amount of water?

Have you any theory on the extra 45mins for the AA? while 16 extra jars in the big mirro only needs 5mins more? The AA is a larger unit so heat loss to the surroundings will be more, but its surface to jar ratio will be less than the 2 mirros so I would think it would be more efficient (i.e. would take less than 5mins more per extra 16 jars), unless you have poor sealing.

Or were you using different power settings for each? the AA will have most heat loss so will require more power which may explain the 6.7/6.1c difference yet I still think it should be a bigger difference.

The most efficient operation is to heat with the highest available power, then lower it so it is just ticking along at 15psi with no steam venting at all. You can also insulate the boiler, heating outside will have a very large heat loss compared to indoors. I operate and ambient cooled still and there is a huge difference in heat loss in/outside

Edited by blackout (07/01/05 09:27 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: blackout]
    #4358903 - 07/01/05 09:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I believe the "cycle times" are including warm up and cool down times...I believe they were all PCed for the same length of time..cool down times were just alot more in the AA

Well, actually, I'm wrong I think, just read cycle times are burner on to burner off.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (07/01/05 09:27 AM)

OfflineBilly1111
I Don't Know
 User Gallery

Loc: In That Place
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4359200 - 07/01/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mycomonsters is solid peeps =)

--------------------
"to be free of the opinion of others......to be free of the opinion of yourself............"

I have schizophrenia.All my post are lies written by one of my alter egos.Help search for a cure.

Offline_blitzer
vintage user

Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: Billy1111]
    #4359550 - 07/01/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Billy1111 said:
mycomonsters is solid peeps =)

that gurl is pretty

--------------------
I'm laughing, but on the inside where you can't hear it.

InvisibleNINJA
Turbocharged

Loc: In the saddle
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: blackout]
    #4362503 - 07/02/05 08:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am going to reply to this, noting that if something is not allowed, would an admin please contact me. I have emailed regarding the ban of my other nick for "spamming" previously in this thread though nothing was changed. I meant no harm, no spam etc. I did not dot com anything... someone please contact me via pm regarding the banning of the myco name for posting this post. Purpose of this post is soley for the gain of the shroomery and its people.

Now for the answers to the ?s.

Quote:

blackout said:
Nice work.
A few questions.
How have you figured the 6.1c and 6.7c figures?

A: weighing of each propane tank prior to and after each cycle, dividing the propane usage by the jars in the cooker.

The mirro does 32 jars in 140 min while the AA does 60 in 185min. so I figure it to be 4.375min per jar vs 3.083min per jar. Then the mirro should cost 142% more per jar than a AA. Or am I missing something?

A: The more product in the cooker/sterilizer.. makes for more time to heat along with sheer mass of the cooker. the 11 and 22 use same amount of water but the little one is not capable of holding the same amount of jars.. thus the difference in fuel usage per jar.

Were they all filled with the same amount of water?

A: the mirros had 8 pints each, the aa uses only 2 pints of water

Have you any theory on the extra 45mins for the AA? while 16 extra jars in the big mirro only needs 5mins more?

A: The water levels in the mirro cookers were identical.. the added water compared to the aa.. acts like a flywheel per say.. more medium to transfer heat.

The AA is a larger unit so heat loss to the surroundings will be more, but its surface to jar ratio will be less than the 2 mirros so I would think it would be more efficient (i.e. would take less than 5mins more per extra 16 jars), unless you have poor sealing.
A: The aa is more efficient likely due to the fact that it is a sterilizer and not a cooker, it does not vent steam throughout the cycle as the mirro cookers do. Also, the aa is so large it blocks off the heat from escaping past the sides, heat was directed downward rather than up the sides, making the ground near it unbearable regarding temperature.

Or were you using different power settings for each? the AA will have most heat loss so will require more power which may explain the 6.7/6.1c difference yet I still think it should be a bigger difference.

A: Throttles for the cookers were all adjusted differently due to demand for heat. Once steam flow was established.. I tried to make them chatter as evenly as possible(venting similar amounts of steam) The little mirro barely had a flame under it.. the aa has to be watched closely and as the product heats up inside, the throttle has to be lessened.

The most efficient operation is to heat with the highest available power, then lower it so it is just ticking along at 15psi with no steam venting at all. You can also insulate the boiler, heating outside will have a very large heat loss compared to indoors. I operate and ambient cooled still and there is a huge difference in heat loss in/outside

edited to answer missed ?

NINJA

Edited by NINJA (07/02/05 08:08 AM)

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: NINJA]
    #4362566 - 07/02/05 08:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Mycomonsters was banned (not by me, b.t.w.) for suspicion of future spamming of your website. Basically, non-sponsor advertising isn't allowed, and someone felt that you were setting the stage for that. Personally, I felt it was a little abrupt, as I didn't see any direct spamming from you. If you want to take it up with the Admins and try to convince them otherwise, feel free to do so.

--------------------

InvisibleNINJA
Turbocharged

Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4362582 - 07/02/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Just fyi... I have requested to be a sponsor ( have emails etc).. and i have been left in the dark about it.. I have $ and will sponsor.

NINJA

Edited to ask.. anyone in particular i should speak with regarding the ban?

Edited by NINJA (07/02/05 08:54 AM)

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cooker / sterilizer comparison which one is right for you? [Re: NINJA]
    #4362598 - 07/02/05 08:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just brought your case up in the admin forum, as I feel you were banned unfairly. You shouldn't need to contact anyone at the moment.

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4362607 - 07/02/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

your other nikname was banned due to being a puppet.
you already have this name...Ninja.
I make no exceptions when it comes to puppets...I banned your puppet.

and yes we felt you might spam your website for business...in the future.
you had a link to you website in your info.

If you do become a sponsor this will all change...and you probably will get your other nikname back.

---

Nice post by the way!~

too bad it was taken off course.

:smile:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleNINJA
Turbocharged

#4362617 - 07/02/05 09:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you much.

NINJA

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies