Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAshZ
Stranger

Another request for opinions
    #4358856 - 07/01/05 11:13 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have read what I consider to be a large amount of info on this site and others, but I am now wondering if my friend has planned things out wrong and will be wasting his time.

The crux of the question comes down to this. He has planned to innoc, rye berries and case with 50/50. Now that said I have seen some very splendid results from this, however all the even more splendid results with poo have my friend worried it is a waste of time. This will be my friends first attempt. So I suggested the Rye berries and casing, but now he see's everyone advocating Poo so much he is worried that he should just try that.

The only problem is the access to the poo. He has everything he needs to get going soon on the Rye, and should popular opinion steer him first towards poo instead it will be a while more before he can begin. What with the poo preparation and all.

All opinions are welcome so please give me your thoughts on the pro's and cons of starting with what he has and moving on to poo at a later date. Or scrapping the rye plan and moving straight to poo which will probably take about a month to get prepared for.

I tend to ramble quite a bit as I post but I would really like some educated opinions on this.

Should a noob with supplies to use rye and case with 50/50 try that first or go straight to poo. Thanks again.

--------------------
-------------

"Apparently adoption leads to serial killing.." Kramer

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: Another request for opinions [Re: AshZ]
    #4358894 - 07/01/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would say if you have the exra rye then do both, case some rye and use some to spawn to poo. If you dont have the means to supply your own poo, or want poo thats proven to work "as is" you can get pre-pasturized poo from tenn-studd :thumbup:  theyre a shroomery sponser and will treat you well.

Good luck....

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4358896 - 07/01/05 11:24 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If its gonna take you a month before the poo is ready, just case the rye by itself...it only takes 2 weeks for new jars to colonize, so you could have 2 more new batches done by the time you get to your poo. Poo rocks the hell out of anything, but rye is pretty kick ass all by itself.

Poo:

Same strain on straight rye:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4358900 - 07/01/05 11:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Id go with straight poo... get some from tennstud if you need to, its worth it. Casing the rye will work, but with poo you'll have alot more, and they'll be more potent. I would use either jiffy mix, or a verm/coir for a first casing. jiffy mix is good because the pH is already stabilized.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineAshZ
Stranger

Re: Another request for opinions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4358981 - 07/01/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the responses. I completely understand that poo is where my friend should be looking, however do to prep and his current setup I concur that it would be best to start with the rye and perhaps after a run or two with luck he can move to poo. I keep seeing Tennessee stud mentioned, but I also see the hardcore cultivators leaning towards the free stuff. I guess he has some time to experiment before progressing.

As for the casing it will be Verm/coir as this seems to yield good results. As I said this is his first experiment and he is in no rush but has the materials to start with the rye. From the results I have seen he should be pleased. And when he moves to poo be even more pleased.

I really appreciate all the info available here, as well as the shroomery members dedicated to preserving and spreading the knowledge. A place like this makes a noobs life much easier. I hope to some day soon be able to show off my friends grow log with some sense of pride. Thanks again.

--------------------
-------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4359039 - 07/01/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

GL! Remember to read up on adjusting pH levels for better results!

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineAshZ
Stranger

Re: Another request for opinions [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4359055 - 07/01/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you! We shall see how it goes. Starting on sunday. Ph adjuster is good to go. I only hope my friend has the same luck as some of the other first timers I have seen on here.

--------------------
-------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation