Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMikol
tripper
Hello again! Pans with Double tub
    #4358833 - 07/01/05 11:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everyone! After a break for a few months and a move to another city, I decided to pursue this wonderful hobby some more. After reading all of the great double tub posts, I decided that it's going to be the tek of choice for the next few months. I'm not worried about the cubes growing because I have enough experience with them. For shits and giggles the strain with be Orissa. But onto the pan topic......

First off, I do have past experience with pans and "know the ropes". I'm just worried about using the DT with them instead of my coolmist/ultrasonic setup that I used to use.

I currently have 6 quarts of rye colonizing with pan cyan myc atm. They seem to be doing great! My main concern is how I'm going to have to modify the double tub, if at all, to get these pans to grow.

Mainly, does the double tub provide enough air exchange for these little guys? I know they need a lot of air exchange. Also....does it provide enough heat for pans?

Any questions, comments and help would be greatly appreciated to get these little beauties to pin in a double tub environment. It's good to be back in the community. You all rock!!

Later,
Mikol

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hello again! Pans with Double tub [Re: Mikol]
    #4358874 - 07/01/05 11:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've had this conversation with Augustin, he loves the DT tek and wants to use it for them, and I think is still planning on doing so. He wont see results soon enough to know, and this hasnt been tried, so no one will know for sure. I will tell you that cubes can get away with a big lack of air exchange, they only NEED 1-3 full exchanges a day...Pan Cyans need that every hour (cubes should have that every hour, but not as needed) to get any sort of cecent results. Pan Cyans also like 80-85% humidity when pinning, DT could stay much higher humidity, since moisture never has a chance to leave the tub.

I very much have my doubts that it will work well...I also find that big casings of Pan Cyans (as in a large amount of substrate, 15-20+ pounds of bulk in the casing) tend to have more problems. Contams have been issues with these, as well as certain trays not liking to fruit as well as others. When you spawn that much, and use lots of jars, many substrains..kind of a pain. And if you lose the tub to contams...and I think yeild is lower using larger amounts of substrate per casing.

If you could do it all right and well, its possible, if the DT has enough air exchange...Aug seems to think it will if you have a fan blowing on the outside of the tub (to push around air in the room to help with air flow in and out th epolyfil holes).

I forgot to add...the way to counter act this...is one of the holes up top, instead of polyfil, stick a tube from a cool mist humidifier. That will provide you with humid air exchanges. And youd only need 1 tub per..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (07/01/05 11:19 AM)

OfflineMikol
tripper
Re: Hello again! Pans with Double tub [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4360489 - 07/01/05 06:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the advice. I was going to use a bit smaller sized tubs for the pans instead of the 66qt + sizes that others have been using for cubes. I don't like having huge casings for pans anyway. Too much chance for error IMHO.

I may try and rig up my coolmist and see how it works. Thanks for the tips on air exchange, because that was my main concern in this project. Once I get to that point I will let you know how it works out.

later,
Mikol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation