Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Identity Theft
    #4317096 - 06/20/05 01:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Some woman representing some attorneys office called me today saying that I have an outstanding debt of $4,000 dollars with Citi Bank. She asked for my last four digits of my social security number which I reluctantly gave her to "verify" if thats me. She said that verified it. Well the thing is I never have had any account with citi bank. My father who goes by the same name lives here with me also. He has excellent credit and this isn't him. The address they had for me isn't even correct. And the Birth date Nov 9 matches neither me or my fater but the age she had 58 is correct for my dad. Should I be worried about this?? WTF should I do to make sure mine or my fathers Identity hasn't been stolen? This is the first type of call I have ever gotten like this and its kind of freaky. I have ordered some stuff online with his CC before so who know? But why would the b-day be wrong and adrress be wrong? The Social Security number supposedly verifying this claim is mine not my dads? WTF? Anyone have any similar stories?? thank you very much.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Edited by QuantumMeltdown (06/20/05 01:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Identity Theft [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4317452 - 06/20/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

you got pwnd

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #4317775 - 06/20/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thats sounds like a 'fishing' attempt. You shouldn't give away any details over the phone, its a classic scam.

They usually pretend to be from the card company investigating a fraud on your account and that they need to verify your details - which they will, of course, then go on to use and commit fraud!!!

The fact that this person is already accumulating details on you is worrying.

I would
1. Get as much detail on the fraudster as you can - did you trace their number?
2. Inform the police immediatley with as much information on the fraudster as you can!

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Identity Theft [Re: Ego Death]
    #4317859 - 06/20/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah their number shows up on the caller ID as Wyatt, Wyatt and Lauder or some shit. I call them back and it appears to be a legit law office? Who knows. Can they really get to far with just the last four digits of my SS?

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Jimmy Buffett

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
    #4318888 - 06/20/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't have given it to them I don't trust that shit after someone withdrew 500 bucks out of my account. I would find the banks number and call them up not the law office.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4321604 - 06/21/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

She asked for my last four digits of my social security number

Never give anyone who calls YOU any information. Instead, you should have asked HER the last four digits and confirmed them on your end.

You may have been phished. I suggest you call your bank, tell them what happened, and ask for new cards to be issued ASAP. As a follow up, contact the credit reporting agencies and get a copy of your credit report.

Here are the three big ones:

http://www.equifax.com/

http://www.experian.com/

http://www.transunion.com/

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Identity Theft [Re: Diploid]
    #4322278 - 06/21/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I don't have a bank account or any credit or debit cards at the moment? Can they really do much with just the las four digits of my SSN? I am only 21 and have tried applying for a credit card before on my own and have been denied so I don't think they could open any accounts or anything. I did check my credit after recieving the call and it appears to be good 719 pts or what ever. No accounts in there on my history I was ever aware of.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

-Mark Twain

Jimmy Buffett

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #4322446 - 06/21/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

you definitely got scammed, i've heard of this happening before. was there any other information that they tried to get out of you that you didnt give them? i dont know what they could do with the last 4 digits of your ssn, but if they didn't try to get anymore info out of you then that means they got all they wanted/needed.

i wish i had more to tell you, but i dont know anything else about it.

look on the brightside, this will never happen to you again because now you know to never give out your ssn to anyone unless you called them, not the other way around.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Identity Theft [Re: Vvellum]
    #4324858 - 06/22/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
you got pwnd

Ditto.  :whack:

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #4332686 - 06/24/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Get a free credit report on the net and check if anything is out of place.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Identity Theft [Re: downforpot]
    #4338356 - 06/26/05 02:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think that if you owed money... a collections agency would be calling, not an attorney's office... especially some little podunk one that no one knows for a huge corp like Citi... but that's just me.

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Identity Theft [Re: GatorB]
    #4347033 - 06/28/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Here's what you need to do. I just got done dealing with the same crap. My ex opened a credit line and a seperate credit card under my name when we split. First call the bank. Explain what's up and get as much info from them as you can on what you need to do. Then you need to set up a fraud alert through the credit bureus(sp?) listed earlier. Also, there is a way to put in a complaint with the government that is along the same lines as the fraud alert. The bank can give you all that info. The bank will do an investigation and should clear your credit report. Don't hope for any arrests though. Even though both banks I had to deal with knew for a fact what had happened and who it was, they still didn't press charges. The bitch got off scott free. PM me if you need any other help. ID theft is a bitch.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Identity Theft [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #4353518 - 06/29/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Fight fire with fire man.

Find out where they are from and burn their house to the ground with their family inside.

Then forge a letter from her giving details on how she is going to burn her house down in attempt to collect insurance money.

Send a copy to the police anonymously.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Identity Theft [Re: tak]
    #4356983 - 06/30/05 08:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think that might be a little excessive man lol. I don't think there is much they could do with my info anyways. I applied for many credit cards over the last couple months and they all said I had insufficent credit. I checked my credit on freecreditreport.com and nothing was out of the normal there so I will keep checking on it for a little while longer. I would report them but I really don't think they would do shit to look into it or anything so it would be waste of time.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

-Mark Twain

Jimmy Buffett

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4358217 - 07/01/05 02:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The first three digits are the area number (the area number reflects the State where the Social Security number was applied for)

The second two digits mean nothing just something to block them together.

The last four digits are serial numbers (They represent a straight numerical sequence of digits from 0001-9999)

In all reality they would need at least the last 6 digits, unless they were just calling to verify they had the correct number. Whether is was a legit call or not, just investigate, there's many sources on the web that do reverse look ups and so on.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom