Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

Loc: Washington, USA
Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest * 1
    #4351673 - 06/29/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Dear Hunters;
This is a small field guide to mushrooms in the Pacific Northwest that I am currently putting together. The mushrooms that I have found myself and know well, I will  be putting an accurate description together based on my findings (ie: specific variations that I have found myself) and descriptions from a select few books and sites. All information that is used from a website or book will be noted with each description. If there are any questions, or requests for a specific species or more pictures for a certain species, or something people would like to add, feel free or pm me and I will add it myself to the post. So heres the start my fellow hunters.

Liberty Cap (Psilocybe Semilanceata):

Description: Slimy, narrowly conical, brown to tan cap with brownish gills and smooth, off-white stalk; in pastures and manured areas.

Cap: 3/8 to 1 inch (1 - 2.5cm) wide; sharply conical, often peaked, and not expanding; sticky, smooth, brownish, fading to tan, bruising blue on margin.

Gills: attach, close, broad; grayish, becoming dark brown.

Stalk: partial veil evenescent.

Edibility: Hallucinogenic.

Season: Late August - November. (Note: I have found them as late as January, and never before September)

Habitat: Scattered to numerous, in tall grass and grassy hummocks in cow pastures. (Note: Horse pastures work very well also, as we have 7 horses and I have found them every year in them.)

Range: Widely distributed; Common in Pacific Northwest (Note: This is where I am located (Western Washington)); also reported in Quebec and various other parts of the world.

Look-alikes: The hallucinogenic Psilocybe Pelliculosa and Psilocybe Silvatica grow in wood chips or mulch, and have conical caps. (Note: Often mistaken for eachother, there is no danger here. Liberty Caps are more potent, in most cases)

Semilanceata Image 1

Semilanceata Image 2

Semilanceata Image 3

Psilocybe Azurescen (courtesy of  Mushroom John's website)

Cap: 3-10 cm broad. Conic to convex, expanding to broadly quickly. Flat with age with a pronounced umbo, surface smooth, viscid when moist, with a separate pellicle. Chestnut to caramel in color, bruising blue to blue black when damaged.

Gills: Ascending, sinuate to adnate, brown. mottled, edges white.

Stem: 90-200 mm long x 3-6 mm thick, silky white, fibrous. Base of stem thickening downwards, often curved.

Spores: 12-13.5 x 6.8m.

Sporeprint: Dark purplish black.

Habitat: Cespitose to gregarious. Fruiting abundantly on decidous woodchips, sandy soils rich in lignicolous debris. Prefers alder chips and/or bark mulch. Found in Gardens in parks and around homes and office buildings.

Distribution: Along the northern coast of Oregon in dune grasses. Also found in Washington and British Columbia.

Season: September to December. A cold weather species.

Dosage: Extremely potent. 1 to 2 large mushrooms or 2 to 4 small specimens.

Coming Soon

Bluing Psilocybe (Psilocybe Cyanescan, often mistaken for Psilocybe Azurescen, and visa versa):

Description: Tacky, wavy, brown cap, fading to yellowish, with brownish gills and whitish stock; bruising blue.

Cap: 3/4 - 1 5/8 inches (2 - 4 cm) wide; convex, becoming nearly flat with undulating or wavy margin; sticky to moist, smoothl dark chestnut-brown, fading to yellowish, bruising blue.

Gills: attached, nearly distant, broad; cinnamon-brown, becoming darker.

Stalk: 2 3/8 - 3 1/4 inches (6 - 8 cm) long/tall, 1/8 - 1/4 inches (3 - 5 mm) thick, sometimes enlarged at the base; curved, whitish, bruising blue.

Veil: partial veil white, evanescant.

Edibility: Hallucinogenic.

Season: September - November

Habitat: Several to many, in coniferous mulch.

Range: British Columbia to San Fransisco

Look-alikes: Gallerina Autumnalis (EXTREMLEY DEADLY)

Cyanescens Image 1

Cyanescens Image 2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: BigBallZMaN]
    #4351768 - 06/29/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

very helpful
thanks

OfflineUlisSausage7
seattle
Male

Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: littleharoldeh]
    #4351868 - 06/29/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

too bad all the shrooms that grow up here ( i live in washington) are all during the fall/winter.. lame, i wanted to pick for summer

--------------------
Marx said:
good luck with the microscopy 

:whistling:

Offlinehempknight
Stranger

Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: littleharoldeh]
    #4351869 - 06/29/05 06:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i dont get it.. you say a small field guide.. but what about large fields? or even medium sized fields?... whats even your criteria for a "small" field??... explain please.. because I have what i would consider a large field by my house and id like to find some liberty caps

OfflineUlisSausage7
seattle
Male

Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: hempknight]
    #4352683 - 06/29/05 08:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no, he means a field guide thats small.. lol

--------------------
Marx said:
good luck with the microscopy 

:whistling:

Offlinehempknight
Stranger

Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: UlisSausage7]
    #4352837 - 06/29/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

wait.. like a midget? you have to be a little person to pick shrooms? I guess im pretty small.. or at least i used to be. Well, im off to check that field.

Edited by hempknight (06/29/05 09:25 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: hempknight]
    #4352910 - 06/29/05 09:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Are you just playing stupid or do you really not know what a field guide is?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: BigBallZMaN]
    #4352926 - 06/29/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

There is the Pocket size edition ofhte Safe-Pik Mushroom Identification Guide with descriptions and 80 Colored photographs and an endorsement frm Dr. Andrew Weil Field Guide posted at erowid.com

and then there is mj's Magic Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest with 12 color fotos 35 black and white images and descriptions of the 18 known active species og the PNW..

Gary Mensers Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushroom Handbook, these are field guides, some pocket size of the 18 varieties of Magic Mushrooms from San Francisco to British Columbia and all 18 PNW species are posted with id's and more than 2000 photographs at the Shroomeries Ultimate Shroom Guide in the FAQ right here at the Shroomry.

Still a nice little job but there are also many more PNW only field guides still available in the region through ebey and amazin.com including the Everett Kardel book and that of Leonard Enos who wrote the first for the PNW.

MJ's book is the longest selling field guide to PNW mushrooms, which has sold over 250,000 copies since 1976 and is still in print and available throughout the PNW and form the Mj shroom site.

have a shroomy day,

mj

Offlinetherinds
Stranger

Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4353084 - 06/29/05 10:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I was just wondering, why did you only put spores and sporeprint color for the azurescen?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Small Field Guide - Pacific NorthWest [Re: therinds]
    #4356991 - 06/30/05 08:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

THe whole site is currently under reconstruction. More species id will be added sometime, hopefully this year. About 25 of the species text in the guide on the internet have not been wrtten in.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale